Going for a WP7 - Dell Venue Pro - Advice Please.

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Hi,

I am going for a WP7. I am coming for n97 mini. Thght of spending a 25k+ on july. But thght of expensive phone and stuck for 2 years is too much. Perhaps a cheap phone for a year will be fine.
<

My primary usages are Phone/Text/Browsing and MUSIC. very much. I need good music quality.

Apps, I need for the following.. GTalk, GMail, PDF Reader, MS Office apps, Opera, Facebook.

And Navigation will be a fun thing to have.

I had plans on a samsung focus.
<

Please advise.

Any thanks appreciated.

m-J

Out of your uses, the phone is brilliant for MS Office apps and Facebook integration. The PDF support seemed adequate as well. I really liked the phone for the 3 weeks or so that I used it. Gmail can be setup as one of the mail accounts.

If you can source a Samsung Focus, go for it. If not...

Dell Venue Pro - I got one for my mom, made 2 of my friends get this. Really solid, industrial build quality. Feels firm and strong in hand. The 4.1" AMOLED screen is gorgeous and the QWERTY keyboard is good too (though you will find that the touchscreen is awesome and might never use the QWERTY). The only drawback, if you can call it that, it is a bit bulky.

Samsung Omnia W - Very VFM for around 16K. Super AMOLED display, though I couldn't spot the difference when kept side by side. Screen is a bit on the smaller side, with 3.7". But it is extremely light and zippy as the rest of the Windows phones. A big advantage is the front facing camera, which my HD7 doesn't have.

Nokia Lumia 710 - Around the same price as the Omnia but without an AMOLED display or front facing camera.. Omnia W is a better choice.

If you need more info, let me know. Any of these phones will be a big upgrade from N79
<

PS: Zune is a great music app that is better than most of it's contemporaries.

My primary usages are Phone/Text/Browsing and MUSIC. very much. I need good music quality.

Apps, I need for the following.. GTalk, GMail, PDF Reader, MS Office apps, Opera, Facebook.

And Navigation will be a fun thing to have.

Music quality - You might not be satisfied with SQ of Windows Phones (assuming Focus/Optimus 7 have same hardware as Venue Pro - coz my experience is limited to those 2). At least this my experience compared to 5800XM / C7-00.

GTalk - 3rd party apps like IM+ available. But not that great. FB chat and windows live etc is great though

Gmail - email app is AWESOME. Contacts / calendar sycing etc is smooth...you will love it

PDF Reader - gets job done...nothing extra ordinary

MS Office apps - awesome..as expected

Opera - not available...but not required! IE9 is great

Facebook - hands down the best OOTB integration. Plus FB app is pretty good

Navigation - if this is important, I would suggest you to go for Lumia series.

Buy Nokia Lumia 800 (if you budget is 25k) as recently they reduced the price. You can get for 23 to 25k approx..

This is considered as flagship phone for WP7.. You won't regret you decision for sure..

An office colleague has the Dell Venue (Android based device), and the phone is seriously bulky. It is rather heavy with a full metal body, and is a pain if you plan to talk long.

Dell Venue Pro -

That's one hefty and heavy smartphone!

I absolutely dig Windows Phones (almost bought an HTC HD7 off one of TE members last summer before getting an Android) If I were shortlisting again, Nokia Lumia 800 would definitely be #1.

Thanks for the all help people. As of now, I am not going for it.

Will wait for till july, for the guns to fire. Lets see if the wine/wp7 gets better.
<
. And also, Dell Venue Pro is not the phone I am looking for.

Back