Good antiperspirant?

Hello all,

I hope everyone's having a lovely day so far. I am in need of a very good anti-perspirant. I am a bulky dude and I tend to sweat a lot. I go to the gym and sweat way, way too much (I sweat for simple tasks sometimes, like walking maybe a kilometre or waiting in queues for so long) and I stink very quickly and easily. I do take bath everyday, twice a day, and I hate feeling disgusting. I used to use this deo called Brut and it was somewhat good but I need something that can somewhat block out the smell better than Brut did. To be more precise, I used the Brut Sports deo. Do I need to change the soap I use or something? Sorry if anything I say is inappropriate.

When going to college, I used to apply some perfume but by the time I reach the campus, the perfume wears away. Again, Brut cologne here as well. Should I switch to roll-on deo? Are they better?

Also, somewhat irrelevant, do you all apply perfume before going to the gym? The gym is quite small and it gets somewhat crowded after 7pm.

Thanks all and have a lovely day!

Should I switch to roll-on deo? Are they better?

Sympathies to your cause (because I sweat like anything being a very slim hairy man who thinks it's partially genetics), you may be already aware of contentions on above link.
Try to use a drop or two (adequate quantity) of natural agents like mild rose or sandalwood oil in your bathing water. edit: tea tree oil also helps.
Check your system for metabolic or other disorders, saying this since it's not your body size alone sometimes.

Last edited:
Nivea roll on, any of them work. Perfume shouldn't be used to cover smell or expect it to prevent stink. I sweat quite a bit as well and roll ons have always worked for me but aside from my underarms, I don't really smell. Honestly though, some people just tend to smell more than others, even if they maintain hygeine well. But roll ons work better than sprays imo.

Sympathies to your cause (because I sweat like anything being a very slim hairy man who thinks it's partially genetics), you may be already aware of contentions on above link.
I understand that you said "contentions" but the article that you've linked doesn't even consider it to be significant to any disease in any manner.

Honestly, I was at the same boat but I found a combo which worked wonders for me and everyone in my family.

First is get this roll on - https://www.amazon.in/Chemist-Play-Brightens-Exfoliates-Fragrance/dp/B09YR8FLQY - the fragrance free version, or get one with fragrance.
Second, pair it with a good cologne, or deodrant.

The roll on has AHA, lactic acid and Mandelic acid, all of which inhibit bacterial growth. This itself cuts out the stink by 80-95%, the only con being you have to use it everyday for at least 2-4 months. This will then encourage the skin bacteria to alter, and after prolonged usage you will not stink as much, provided the stink comes from bacteria and not from your skin itself.

Home made? Choose a food safe citric acid

Dilute 25 ml of 20% citric acid solution in 75 ml of boiled drinking or distilled water and place it in a spray bottle (e.g. of a used liquid deodorant). In practice you obtain a 5% citric solution.

It works as a deodorant because, by lowering the pH of the armpit, the activity of the bacteria that degrade sweat is blocked and consequently the production of unpleasant odors is inhibited.

Obviously vinegar would do it too but it is rather useless to avoid smelling like sweat if you then smell like vinegar... So the solution is to use citric acid which works in the same way but has no smell!
NB The dilution of the citric solution can be modified according to personal needs...

In fact, as also happens with commercial deodorants, their effectiveness is very subjective: some are happy with antiperspirants, others with alcohol-based ones, others again with the economical and ecological pure bicarbonate.

I've often wondered why the price varied between various suppliers? It's to do with purity

ANHYDROUS citric acid = 100% active because it is only citric acid
MONOHYDRATE citric acid = 90% active (i.e. there is 90% actual acid and 10% water)
Tetrahydrate citric acid = 60% active (i.e. 60% is citric acid and 40% is water).

Examples of Anhydrous, Monohydrate and Tetrahydrate (going by the price)

The second and third will clump and you will find some moisture in the packet over time because the citric acid 'sweats'. Depending on the application this may or not matter.

Last edited:
Back