Good Lightning to USB convertor/adapter/OTG cable?

Stronk

Adept
Hi all,
I need to purchase a Lightning to USB adapter since I want to add MIDI input from my music keyboard for GarageBand on my iPad Air 2. Don't need a USB 3 version (like this official one) so even USB 2 will do, and have a budget of 1.5k, max of 2k (obviously the lower the better). If you have any specific experiences with such a convertor (also called OTG I think) please reply.

A quick Amazon search yields a lot of results, with prices ranging from 500 to north of 2k. Most of them have sporadic reviews, but I also understand that a lot of drives and accessories are simply incompatible with iPads and iPhones so not taking reviews too seriously so far. Just need something decent to connect my keyboard to, and would prefer one with a Lightning cable input so that it stays charged as well.

Or if there is any other way to add USB MIDI input, such as through installing an app on ipad and emulating the driver from the MIDI device connected to a Windows PC, kindly let me know. Thanks a lot.

I got below a couple of months ago and works fine with iPhone. I use it only to connect charger and amplifier

I got below a couple of months ago and works fine with iPhone. I use it only to connect charger and amplifier

Got delivered yesterday and has been working just as I wanted it to. Thank you for the recommendation!

Got delivered yesterday and has been working just as I wanted it to. Thank you for the recommendation!

Have you guys tried connecting a pen drive to iphone with this dongle? I am looking for something that is reliable and my purpose is only for pendrive.

Have bought wayoma usb pd charger and it’s usb c to lightning cable. Pretty good so far.
Also have some Amazon basics lightning cables for past few years, no issues so far.

Have you guys tried connecting a pen drive to iphone with this dongle? I am looking for something that is reliable and my purpose is only for pendrive.
Yep, works for connecting flash drives. Files are viewable at least on iPad in the Files app, not sure about iPhone.

My doubt is some popular youtubers saying that non-mfi adapter might brick the pen drive or even the iphone connector itself sometimes..I was terrified bcz of these claims..But there don't seem to be an mfi certified adapter apart from the one apple makes, which is super costly for what it does.

OP isn't using it for accessing storage so bricking due to heat won't happen. The way to handle excessive heat in proximity to storage is to use an extension cable.

Pen drives can get hot if used for a few minutes.

Otherwsie this is what Apple has to say about the matter

Back