Good low wattage PSU.

PoBoy

Skilled
I have a Corsair CX450 in my current system.

I need a PSU for a newer system - Ryzen 3 3200G + B450 MoBo, one NVMe SSD, one HDD. Non-gamer, no GPU.
Frankly, even a 350W PSU will do.

Recommend a good PSU. I can only find Corsair CX550 (I don't understand the black/gray/white label stuff).

What's wrong with the CX450? I think this psu is well built. I also have it and it was decently heavier compared to a 550w from silverstone. Using with my Ryzen 3 2200g and b450. It works wonders. Sometimes i even put my 1070 in there without any issue.

Just to confirm, you are referring to this, right ?
Cooler Master MWE 450 Bronze V2 Power Supply - Non-Modular

Asking because when it comes to PSUs sometimes there are different versions of the same model.

Wish I could pick it up from Prime. I don't trust Amazon packing/shipping. EDIT : it's available at Prime.

----------

What's wrong with the CX450? I think this psu is well built. I also have it and it was decently heavier compared to a 550w from silverstone. Using with my Ryzen 3 2200g and b450. It works wonders. Sometimes i even put my 1070 in there without any issue.
I never said anything was wrong. Just looking for options, maybe there is something better.
Corsair CX PSUs, if you search, seem to have different versions of the same PSU, sometimes made by different manufacturers.

----------

EDIT : One thing that made me uneasy about the CX550 is that all online stores are selling it at a hefty discount. Like they are trying to get rid of them.

Last edited:

Asking because when it comes to PSUs sometimes there are different versions of the same model.

Wish I could pick it up from Prime. I don't trust Amazon packing/shipping. EDIT : it's available at Prime.

It's the same. You can but from TPS Tech if you dont want to buy from Amazon. I bought my 450W from TPS and 550W from Amazon

I never said anything was wrong. Just looking for options, maybe there is something better.
Corsair CX PSUs, if you search, seem to have different versions of the same PSU, sometimes made by different manufacturers.
Was just curious why u feel the need to replace it if it's working fine. Without a dGPU you will consume like 150 watts at most. That psu will do just fine. But if u insist on replacing it, maybe upgrade to a higher wattage for future proofing. Something like mwe 450w will be a sidegrade at best.

The current system is like 10 years old, LOL. Haswell. That one has the CX450 which I bought in 2020 (to replace the Corsair VX450 which lasted me more than 10 years).

The newer system needs a PSU. I plan to keep/use both the systems.

Wish I could pick it up from Prime. I don't trust Amazon packing/shipping.

----------

----------

EDIT : One thing that made me uneasy about the CX550 is that all online stores are selling it at a hefty discount. Like they are trying to get rid of them.
The CX series in general are pretty reliable, for what they are. I would use a VS450 (Gray Label), and it served me well for years. It's still working, and happily enjoying retirement in my drawer. The VS series is regarded pretty lowly, just like the CX series, but is solid enough for everyday use without going up in flames. The orange-label ones were even worse and prone to failure, but thankfully they were discontinued a long time ago.

If you're looking at getting a new unit, the MWE 450 is your best bet. Stay away from garbage units such as Ant Esports. They're cheap for a reason.

I have both CX450s and the MWE450V2s, they've been exceptionally reliable with 24/7 use the last two to three years with 8/12 core processors and no GPU. I like the Corsair more for its appearance but it is a pretty old design by now and the MWE is a little bit better, though not in appearance (I spend half my day looking at the backs of these power supplies).

edited to add:

I also have it and it was decently heavier compared to a 550w from silverstone

jonnyguru from Corsair mentioned in a random video a few years ago that weight is not a reliable indicator of quality these days. Highly efficient designs weigh much less since they have less heat to exhaust, so they have smaller heatsinks. He also hinted that some reputable OEMs increase the gauge of the steel to make it appear as though their (highly efficient) power supply is as heavy as customers expect, that's hilarious.

I remember the same thing happening with the switch from 80mm fans to >120mm fans in power supplies, the 80mm ones were superior in cooling, airflow and noise but customers wanted the nicer looking but poor-performing larger fans. This is anecdotal at best but some manufacturers didn't want to downgrade their products in this way and ended up leaving the market completely as presumably, they thought the consensus with consumers was heading towards stupidity.

Of course that doesn't mean the featherweight grey box units you get free with Poha are any good.

second edit:

Another thing mentioned by jonnyguru was that it was much, much more easier to alter the design of the VS series to make the CV series (a single component was changed) rather than to try and make the CX series more cost-effective — the CX is superior to the CV though being a decade older and both are Bronze certified.

But yes, the MWEV2 is newer and slightly better/modern.

Last edited:
Not dead. What I remember is the system would reboot randomly or something. I was actually relieved it turned out to be the PSU because it was ten years old and I didn't have to replace the mobo or something. This was when COVID had just struck and it was diff to get anything. Luckily Prime shipped me a CX450 PSU.

Instead of getting confused with the CX why not simply get Antec VP450P Plus 450 Watt Power Supply and be at peace?
CX was booed by many after its launch as its a low-tier psu with many issues inc. reliability and pure rail power and sudden failures. Having no good corsair budget options people HAD TO ACCEPT IT and so it is surviving.
Yes, any shop will recommend a CX one as its the new Zebronics Gold type psu if you ask me. Cheap and gets the job done but efficiency and reliability is still a question.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, was this dead when you replaced it? I have fond memories of this one.

On the topic, this is bit old but useful list >> https://linustechtips.com/topic/1477009-psu-tier-list-rev-161a/
Ya the 450VX was really something. Looks like I used it for 12+ years (pic). Rs 4250 in 2007 is how much today ?
20240828_144127s.jpg

I brought MWE 450 recently from amazon for one of my old systems with a failing seasonic s12 430w. The first unit had some issues as the system was crashing randomly. After chatting with amazon, they replaced it with a new unit and now everything works perfectly. One thing to note about MWE 450 is that it has flat cables. You won't get this kind of thing is low wattage PSUs in India so it's definitely a plus if cable management is important to you.

Ya the 450VX was really something. Looks like I used it for 12+ years (pic). Rs 4250 in 2007 is how much today ?View attachment 206246
Adjusted for inflation, this PSU would theoretically cost close to INR 10000. However, Tech Industry prices do not strictly follow the principles of Inflation. This is because as technology improves, miniaturization occurs, and mass-production takes place, prices either remain stable or rise gradually, especially for mundane items.

Back