Google activates carrier billing for Play store payments

singenaadam

Skilled
Google is launching carrier billing, initially for Idea: link. link2.

Apparently this is activated for both prepaid & post-paid.

This is quite a good development. Reduces risk for the customer.

Carrier billing has been around for ages and is by no means the sexiest of the payment technologies – but it’s about to launch for Google Play in India with the country’s third-largest operator Idea and it could be pretty massive.

A spokesperson told TNW: “We are in the process of adding direct carrier billing to Google Play in India on Idea Cellular so that people can more easily pay for their favorite content. We will have more news to share soon.”

What about others ?

Just idea only....

I thought the service for carrier billing was already there and honestly I would prefer using it if possible (than gplay cards) since recharge with rs.x and get x+something extra value is aplenty with Idea tariffs. The main reason why I use Idea. **** Loltel.
Oh good, now you shall be charged randomly for app downloads apart from a 100 different random packs.
For real? Isn't the amount deducted from the main balance?

I have just shifted to Idea - literally 2 days. Payment option is not yet visible in the Play store. Probably will start after first billing.

Other telcos will follow.

There is a "convenience charge" - have to see how much. For ex. for an app that costs Rs. 10. Reminded me of an experience - had been to a movie with my kid on a working day - morning show - in Noida (few years back) - ticket was 50, popcorn 55!

Doesn't matter there are those cards spice telecom sells anyway.
Something about those cards has been bothering me, what if the product which you want to buy cost 99rs and they dont have cards for 99rs?
Do you have to buy a higher value card and the remaining balance gets credited to your google account?

Last edited:
Balance remains in your account. Read somewhere in FAQ. This is for also gift cards in Amazon etc. The card balance acts like a voucher. If inadequate, you pay with cash/card, else the relevant amount only will be debited.

Back