Google's Gmail reads all your emails: Microsoft

MS is playing this email reading card for now. In the forseeable future, lets see what it does and whether it backtracks :p

Some s*** site had mentioned that you can be tracked by advertisers and I was thinking, if they were so desperate to do so, they might be the CIA/NSA :p

Thats called a tracking cookie. Been around for ages now. I use it to target my customers. Kinda creepy though. Stalkarish!

Thats called a tracking cookie. Been around for ages now. I use it to target my customers. Kinda creepy though. Stalkarish!

Yeah, but it should not be able to read what you do on the google domain. Not so sure, really, I need to brushup on cookies and their types :p

- - - Updated - - -

he he. I am not gonna use MS email even if they recharge my mobile every month :lol:

I would :p

Yeah, but it should not be able to read what you do on the google domain. Not so sure, really, I need to brushup on cookies and their types :p

Yeah, it doesnt, a Tracking Cookie is just one way for an advertiser to track you. Google uses its services to do the same thing. But it doesnt need to use tracking cookie, cuz they have access to a lot more of your personal info.

For anyone who is interested in tracking cookie, do this, Go to Flipkart, search for a product, add it to cart and close flipkart. Come back to TE and you will see the ad for the same product from flipkart here on TE :)

Yeah, it doesnt, a Tracking Cookie is just one way for an advertiser to track you. Google uses its services to do the same thing. But it doesnt need to use tracking cookie, cuz they have access to a lot more of your personal info.

For anyone who is interested in tracking cookie, do this, Go to Flipkart, search for a product, add it to cart and close flipkart. Come back to TE and you will see the ad for the same product from flipkart here on TE :)

What I meant was, even if you goto the advertisers page via DoubleClick, they wont be able to track you back to the info from Google, right? Unless they use a set of specific keywords?

- - - Updated - - -

never heard about Gmail-Man? :-o

Yawn. Hotmail does the same and does not tell you. Whats a spam filter for :p

- - - Updated - - -

This should be treated as FUD. Microsoft is a scumbag, AFAIK. But then, we tend to forget Apple (douchebag) :p

What I meant was, even if you goto the advertisers page via DoubleClick, they wont be able to track you back to the info from Google, right? Unless they use a set of specific keywords?

Its possible to do that. You click on a DoubleClick ad->Go to a product website->The product website drops a tracking cooking on ou when you land on their page-> Another ad network, picks the cookie up and displays ads on other websites for the previously visited product website.

CPC (Google/DoubleClick) + CPM (Other ad networks using tracking cookie) model. Works well in most industries.

But direct access to Google's data is impossible for a third party website. But Third Parties get arnd that limitation by spending that initial money to get you to land on their website which shows them that Google has found something relevant in your personal info to display that ad to you.

Nothing is free in life. And what's the problem if Google refines itself my maintaining our privacy. We still will be using Google, noun as a verb. :p

Back