Got my first Amazon Kindle (2GB) Black

Tenida

Adept
Guys finally got my most awaited gadget of the year, Kindle e-ink reader. Amazon.in delivered the kindle within 5 days as promised but the packaging is not good as flipkart.

LCD vs E-ink
Advantage of Kindle ebook reader over LCD screen:-
¤ The screen is made with e-ink pearl technology.
¤ Feels totally like physical book.
¤ No glare in light or sunlight condition.
¤ Reading long hours in a kindle is a real pleasure as it doesn't strain the eyes.
¤ Battery backup is pretty long about 1 month with normal reading condition.
¤ Has inbuild oxford dictionary.
¤ Light in weight about 170 grams.

CAM00073.jpg CAM00076.jpg CAM00079.jpg CAM00080.jpg CAM00082.jpg CAM00085.jpg CAM00086.jpg 1294414_10201148650733137_245981037_o.jpg

Last edited:
@Tenida Is it possible to transfer PDF and ".mobi" files from a PC to the Kindle using the USB cable? Or is buying books from Amazon the only option?

And is the 5 way navigational key good enough for traversing through the pages?

Is it worth buying for 6k? Or is it better to buy one from the gray market?
I saw a listing on Ebay selling it for 5k. And another on Olx. None had any warranty.
Is the 1yr warranty worth the extra price?

Last edited:
You can transfer but need to convert it so use a software called calibre. I think Amazon Kindles are constructed well so one can pick it from a grey market.

I want to pick paperwhite as it has backlight too which means i can read it in the dark also i would prefer a touchscreen since its easy to navigate throughout kindle than using those buttons.

Btw one can pick Kindles from Croma as the one sold on Amazon is sold by Croma too.

I'm considering getting a Kindle but can't decide between the regular and paperwhite. I wanted something that was easier to read than the iPad I'm using now but was thinking that the paperwhite would defeat that purpose

Wont the led backlight cause eye strain similar to a tablet? I anyway read with a night lamp on

Wont the led backlight cause eye strain similar to a tablet? I anyway read with a night lamp on
The light is flashed onto the e-ink screen, rather than to your eyes; just like how we are able to see things in light due to the reflection. So, it doesn't cause any eye strain.

It's like reading a book in the dark with light focused on it.

@Tenida Is it possible to transfer PDF and ".mobi" files from a PC to the Kindle using the USB cable? Or is buying books from Amazon the only option?

I saw a listing on Ebay selling it for 5k. And another on Olx. None had any warranty.
Kindle can read this file format (Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion). You can trans

Kindle can read this file format (Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion). You can transfer like pen drive, just connect the kindle and transfer the file.
Yes, good enough.
Buy from amazon store. You will get amazon fulfilled and 1 year warranty.[DOUBLEPOST=1379912715][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm considering getting a Kindle but can't decide between the regular and paperwhite. I wanted something that was easier to read than the iPad I'm using now but was thinking that the paperwhite would defeat that purpose
For the light and touch screen it costs extra 6K extra over classic kindle.

Am currently using Paperwhite and the light is amazing. Perfect for all kind of lighting conditions - from an extremely dark room to brightly lit outdoors. I had the Touch but reading at nights using a table lamp was proving a bit difficult with my wife and kid trying to sleep. This is just perfect.

Am currently using Paperwhite and the light is amazing. Perfect for all kind of lighting conditions - from an extremely dark room to brightly lit outdoors. I had the Touch but reading at nights using a table lamp was proving a bit difficult with my wife and kid trying to sleep. This is just perfect.
Does the backlit display put strain on the eyes?
In many a post I had seen people say that because of the no light E Ink display the reader is very easy on the eyes. Since I will be staring at a LCD monitor all day, don't want any more strain.

Absolutely not. That's the advantage of the e-ink technology, it's not technically backlit. Something to do with the internal light falling on the e-ink 'pixels' (if I may call it so) thus making them glow. I personally have prescription glasses and I got them as I've been 'staring' at LCD monitors since the last 20 years !!!! This will definitely not cause any strain at all.

I have got a Nook and I absolutely love it. For $49, it really a bang for buck. Reading hasn't been so convenient and economical. E-ink displays don't put any strain on eyes, it's like seeing the actual book.

@Tenida Do you live in Kolkata? Do you know any physical store in Kolkata which has the Kindle on display? Since it will mainly be used by my mother, want her to check it out in person before I get it for her.

@Konquerror Do you have the Nook Simple Touch? Is the screen backlit on the Nook Simple Touch? And is the touch response good enough? To me, a touchscreen seems to be a much more intuitive way of flipping through the pages rather than physical buttons!

nook e-ink readers have two versions. one without glow-light, other with glow light.

nook has an advantage over kindle: nook has microSD slot, kindle doesn't have.
kindle has an advantage over nook: kindle has voice, nook doesn't have.
all other specs are almost same.

target.com (in US) was selling nook glow-light version for $80 yesterday. not sure if they still have the stock.

nook e-ink readers have two versions. one without glow-light, other with glow light.

nook has an advantage over kindle: nook has microSD slot, kindle doesn't have.
kindle has an advantage over nook: kindle has voice, nook doesn't have.
all other specs are almost same.

target.com (in US) was selling nook glow-light version for $80 yesterday. not sure if they still have the stock.

Apparently the Glowlight version has a manufacturing defect. There is backlight bleeding in the lower right corner of the screen. And it is so distracting that most people return it for refund or exchange it. Almost 90% of the devices got this problem within a month.

The Nook Simple Touch looks really good since it runs Android and people have hacked it so that the Play Store can be installed on it. I would love to have an e-ink RSS reader.

@nimod Does Target ship to India? If not then how can we ship it to India? Shop n Ship?

Yes, that's the one.
@Tenida Do you live in Kolkata? Do you know any physical store in Kolkata which has the Kindle on display? Since it will mainly be used by my mother, want her to check it out in person before I get it for her.

@Konquerror Do you have the Nook Simple Touch? Is the screen backlit on the Nook Simple Touch? And is the touch response good enough? To me, a touchscreen seems to be a much more intuitive way of flipping through the pages rather than physical buttons!
Yes, I have Nook Simple Touch and it's not backlit. Touch is okay, not as great as mobiles, but it gets the work done. Also there is 4 physical keys on sides to turn pages. Nook is more ergonomic in holding.

Back