Got yourself a spanking new console and need some help? Head here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshay3

Recruit
Got yourself a spanking new console and need some help? Head here!

hey guys...
i have a 320gb ps3 slim

it works fine with my samsung plasma 50" hdtv(hdmi cable)
it works fine with my sony crt tv(av cables)

it shows a black screen with my viewsonic va2226w monitor(hdmi to dvi cable)

my monitor is hdcp compliant according to d website Viewsonic » VA2226w 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor

also when i connect my hdmi to dvi cable(to monitor) and av cables(crt tv) at the same time and reset the display settings(2 beeps)...it shows HDMI CONNECTION DETECTED on my crt...if i press YES...monitor on both sides goes blank...there is some signal but its not showing!!!

also the biggest proof that it shoud work is this video...i have the same monitor as in this video...where am i going wrong??? ‪PS3 with Viewsonic 22" LCD Monitor VA2226w 1080p HD‬‏ - YouTube

btw i have a hdmi to dvi dual link cable??? should i hav bought a single link???
pl any suggestions would help me a lot!

thanks

Re: ps3 to pc monitor (hdcp)

Get a dvi->hdmi converter. Connect this converter to your monitor and then connect the monitor to the PS3 using a normal HDMI cable.

I have the same monitor..My ps3 works flawlessly..Jus get a HDMi to DVI-D converter..

thanks a lot for the responses...

@ram_dante

the hdmi to dvi convertor should be single link or dual link or any???

also did u hav to navigate through a black screen the first time?

bcuz my hdmi to dvi cable is detecting a signal as my monitor light is blue!

i wnanna confirm b4 i go out and buy another

just went out and bought it...

thanks a ton its working now...hdmi cable+dvi adapter :)

How to connect 360 to a monitor?

Hi Guys,

I want to connect an Xbox 360 slim to a PC monitor (Samsung p2350). How should I go about it? The monitor doesn't have an HDMI port, so I figured a DVI to HDMI connector would do but what should I do for the sound? The monitor doesn't have built in speakers.

Regards,
Bluff~

Re: How to connect 360 to a monitor?

I have the same monitor hooked up to my xbox360 and I've set it up by using an xbox360 vga cable (not a standard vga cable) from xbox to the monitor and normal DVI cable from computer to the monitor. This makes it quite easy to switch between xbox and PC and you don't have to mess around with the cables each time you want to change from xbox to PC.

The xbox VGA cable also comes with a audio attachment which just comes out via RCA (red and white cable), but when u buy one of the xbox VGA cables you also get an adapter for which you can connect the RCA to your PC's line in port. This way both your xbox and PC sounds both come out through your speakers which is what i assume you'd be wanting.

The cable you have listed will also do the job but you need to also use one of the xbox audio dongles, since the monitor doesn't come with built in speakers (which may cost about the same amount as an xbox vga cable separately) so if your xbox didn't come with one, I reckon you may as well get a xbox VGA cable. Picture quality isnt affected that much.

Hope that helps.

Link: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1480566

^That seems like an easy workaround but its not my 360 so modding of any kind is simply out of the question. :p Also, the xbox in that guide is not a slim, aren't the placements of ports on the slim different from that of the fat model?

@aradhakr84 : Yes, I did google before creating this thread. That solution doesn't really help as I am sure it doesn't work for the audio part. Besides, I am not sure of the quality that I would get from a vga connection.

Bluffmaster said:
^That seems like an easy workaround but its not my 360 so modding of any kind is simply out of the question. :p

I bet your friend would concur with that mod if you tell him/her it wouldn't cost them any monies nor performance issues. ;)

Actually, I borrow the 360 for weekdays from my friend and play it on the LCD, only problem being that the LCD is not in my bedroom which makes it a hassle to play during nights. I cannot possibly mod something which is not mine to begin with keeping solely my interest in mind. I know my friend wouldn't really mind this mod but I just don't feel right doing it. There has to be a different workaround. Doesn't anyone play their console on a PC monitor here?

The problem with the console is, you cannot use the HDMI cable and the analog audio together with the set of default cables supplied. You will need to or rather MS wants you to spend on an additional accessory to route the audio separately, which is this:

167714e6745142c8d5.jpg

I have my 360 connected to my PC monitor, but that's through the HDMI cable. I'm not sure of the Slim's port placement, but on the older models, the VGA AV cables could be used and it would route the sound part through it's dedicated cables. There is another coverter cable, which I remember MS provided with the Elite models, can't remember it's name. But those were ridiculously expensive, not to mention being sparsely available.

EDIT: That's the one which Gannu has shown above.

^So, what do you do for the audio? I am assuming your monitor doesn't have in built speakers. The slim does come with a composite A/V cable but wouldn't that limit the resolution to 480p?

^His LCD has a analog audio out jack and thus audio from the HDMI is routed to the speakers that way. It is a Dell S2409W IINM.

4331710071_959ff282a0.jpg

Bluffmaster said:
The slim does come with a composite A/V cable but wouldn't that limit the resolution to 480p?

Yes and horribly upscaled.

Yep. That's right. I have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm wire directly connected from my monitor's audio out jack to my PC's line in port.

Bluffmaster said:
Also, the xbox in that guide is not a slim, aren't the placements of ports on the slim different from that of the fat model?

No but the HDMI port is still beneath the AV port.

167714e6755e4670ad.jpg

167714e6755e2ba16c.jpg

Just bought a PS3 - Some questions please!

Hi guys!

I ordered a PS3 320gb Move bundle from Letsbuy 3 days back and they delivered it yesterday! The price paid was Rs. 16599/- and I received 2 free games - Modnation Racers and Chronicles of Riddick: The dark athena. They also sent a small led torch as a free diwali gift. Honestly, they could have done better. They should gifts based on slabs depending on how much money you spend. A comment on the packing - the package was overall very well padded, but they made a complete mess of it. The free games and the thermocol were stuck directly on the ps3 box using tape. By the time I removed the tape, the box was in no condition to be reused. There was tape all over the free games also. Infact, when I was taking the tape off the Modnation Racers case, the main plastic wrapping also came off.

I setup the PS3 immediately. The firmware was 3.60 and I updated it to 3.72. Then I made a PSN account and downloaded 2 demos - Fifa 12 and Heavy Rain. Both were done in a few hours. I haven't tried them yet. I'll do that when I get home tonight.
Anyhow, some questions please:

1. Are the free games any good or should I sell/exchange them? If yes, any suggestions were I can do that in Delhi. As mentioned above, the main plastic wrapping of the Modnation Racers Disc came off when I was removing the tape. Also, can the Chronicles of Riddick game be played without playing any previous editions of the game?

2. I'm not really into games which involve mindless killing (I'll try those later) and after some research, I've narrowed down to 2 games - Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire. Which should I buy first? Any other suggestion are also welcome. I will be buying Fifa 12 too.
I haven't played video games in a while, so it's safe to say that I'm a complete noob when it comes to gaming. But, I look forward to some good gaming ahead.

Re: Just bought a PS3 - Some questions please!

Congrats...

Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire.

I preferred LA Noir....

Are the free games any good or should I sell/exchange them?

Riddick is quite good, I dont know about mod nation racers.

Download all the possible game demos from PSN and then you'll know which games you would like to eventually buy....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back