Budget 31-40k GPU for 1440p gaming

reborn

Disciple
I need to upgrade my GPU. Target resolution is 1440p. Budget is about 40k but can stretch to 50k if so required. Looking at the prices on pcpricetracker, 3060 Ti is available for about 38k, 3070 for 45k and 3070 Ti for 50k. On AMD side, I found 6750 XT on sale for about 38k, which seems to be better than 3060 Ti and comparable to 3070.

Is this GIGABYTE RX 6750 XT GAMING OC for 38k a good deal? Or should I stretch my budget a bit and get a 3070?

Dead set against a used GPU? Second hand prices are quite attractive right now. Of course, it comes with a bit of effort in searching and then making sure you get a good one.

If buying new, they yeah, that 6750xt is a good deal. 6700xt should be even cheaper and is essentially same performance, so check that.

I am sorry for the offtopic reply but can you suggest me some good places to get a used GPU. There aren't many ads here and I hate olx.

The 3070 is IMO the best bang for the buck GPU for 1440p gaming. Have been using it for the last 1.5 years and no AAA title has challenged it at High settings.
With the GPU prices tumbling, you might be able to snag a used one for around 30k which is as sweet as it can get!

Dead set against a used GPU? Second hand prices are quite attractive right now. Of course, it comes with a bit of effort in searching and then making sure you get a good one.

If buying new, they yeah, that 6750xt is a good deal. 6700xt should be even cheaper and is essentially same performance, so check that.

I don't think I am knowledgeable enough to properly test and evaluate used GPUs. As you said, it takes some effort to ensure the GPU is good. I also plan to use the same GPU for 4-5 years, so would rather go with the peace of mind of a new one.

I don't think I am knowledgeable enough to properly test and evaluate used GPUs. As you said, it takes some effort to ensure the GPU is good. I also plan to use the same GPU for 4-5 years, so would rather go with the peace of mind of a new one.
I think a few buy and sell groups have it mandatory for sellers to offer a testing period for their products. In case you decide to go down the used GPU path you can use that to your advantage. Get the card, run some stress-tests, monitor the temps and look out for any weird noises. Look for products that have warranty, and be sure to get a copy of the bill.
Hopefully, this gives you the confidence to give used GPUs a chance. Hope you find the GPU you are looking for!

6750XT is a solid card that matches 3070 ti in non ray tracing performance. It also costs 12k-14k lower. If you are not keen on ray tracing, get the red card.

Go for 3070 or 3080 (used). 3070 ti is just 5 percent faster dan 3070 and runs hot not worth the extra amount.

3070 perfectly fine card for 1440p. 70 to 80 fps more dan enough for RPGs at Maxx settings.

As a 3070 owner myself, I can't use RT in games like Cyberpunk or Spiderman as former is heavy & latter dips fps below 50 many times. At current price of 45k, 3070 doesn't look enticing enough. 3070Ti is a rip off, easy (would have been a different case if it had 10GB VRAM). FH5 at extreme 1440p runs out of VRAM after 10-15mins of gaming on my 3070, so have to keep its texture quality at high (might be an optimisation issue of the game as well).

So take 3060Ti/6700XT for 35k, else 6750XT at 38k is also worth it. If you can go beyond 50k, 6800XT is 58k or so many times.

GPU mid range 1440p.png

As a 3070 owner myself, I can't use RT in games like Cyberpunk or Spiderman as former is heavy & latter dips fps below 50 many times. At current price of 45k, 3070 doesn't look enticing enough. 3070Ti is a rip off, easy (would have been a different case if it had 10GB VRAM). FH5 at extreme 1440p runs out of VRAM after 10-15mins of gaming on my 3070, so have to keep its texture quality at high (might be an optimisation issue of the game as well).

So take 3060Ti/6700XT for 35k, else 6750XT at 38k is also worth it. If you can go beyond 50k, 6800XT is 58k or so many times.

View attachment 156332
Yup, enabling RT on 3070 with latest AAA games does drop the FPS quite a bit. But I like to turn it off as I don't personally see any major visual improvement compared to the FPS tradeoff.
Buying a used 3080 for around 45k will definitely future proof the rig for sure.

Yup, enabling RT on 3070 with latest AAA games does drop the FPS quite a bit. But I like to turn it off as I don't personally see any major visual improvement compared to the FPS tradeoff.
Buying a used 3080 for around 45k will definitely future proof the rig for sure.
Second hand purchases has its risks, so upto OP IMO.

Spiderman with all its glass buildings did look better to me with RT, but below 50fps is just too low fps for me, even DLSS quality mode doesn't help. So playing it w/o RT. I'm fine with games running with 1% low fps close to 60, tried Elden Ring - 60fps cap didn't hurt my experience as it was solid 60fps all the time.

Sooo, the 3060 could possibly age better than the 3070?

Buy used 3080.....get the furmark video result of 10mins. Also get the Vram test results from OCCT tool.....these will confirm that tha card runs properly and no throttling.....then check the bill.....if more than 2 cards in bill then they are mining used....even though single card can also be used in mining.

Sooo, the 3060 could possibly age better than the 3070?
Oh no. Not at all. In simple words, which one will age better? A phone that has Snapdragon 660 with 12GB of RAM or a phone with Snapdragon 870 with 8GB of RAM?
The reason why nVidia released 3060 with 12GB of RAM is because the card is worst among Ampere cards and Nvidia threw extra RAM to make buyers think that it is a good card. No amount of RAM can make it a better card than 3070 Ti, even 10 years into the future.
If you are okay with AMD, get the 6750XT for 38k. Absolute VFM right now. Else, get the 3070 Ti which I believe is the bare minimum for 2K gaming at high refresh rate and with RT in most of the games.

Buy used 3080.....get the furmark video result of 10mins. Also get the Vram test results from OCCT tool.....these will confirm that tha card runs properly and no throttling.....then check the bill.....if more than 2 cards in bill then they are mining used....even though single card can also be used in mining.
If you check all that and everything looks okay, how does it matter whether it was mined or not?
If a card is more than a year old, there is 99% chance it was mined on. Only a rare gamer would have paid that much surcharge on MSRP and then not mined.
Most people who got those cards for absurd prices did mine crypto. But if all the tests turn out fine, it should not matter.

If you check all that and everything looks okay, how does it matter whether it was mined or not?
If a card is more than a year old, there is 99% chance it was mined on. Only a rare gamer would have paid that much surcharge on MSRP and then not mined.
Most people who got those cards for absurd prices did mine crypto. But if all the tests turn out fine, it should not matter.
Where and how it is used for mining is what the problem is, not whether it is used for mining. What if the card was part of a mining rig and miner made changes to pads or replaced cooler with better cooling (voiding warranty)?

Where and how it is used for mining is what the problem is, not whether it is used for mining. What if the card was part of a mining rig and miner made changes to pads or replaced cooler with better cooling (voiding warranty)?
The comment I replied to was talking about mining. I understand the point you are making, but wouldn't it be better to check for all this before running tests? There are stickers on screws to check if a card was opened to change thermals or for any other reason. And those manufactures who don't use such stickers or other visible solutions to check tempering usually do not void warranty if you open them up.

The comment I replied to was talking about mining. I understand the point you are making, but wouldn't it be better to check for all this before running tests? There are stickers on screws to check if a card was opened to change thermals or for any other reason. And those manufactures who don't use such stickers or other visible solutions to check tempering usually do not void warranty if you open them up.
I have ASUS TUF card and I do not see any stickers on screws. Check GN's teardown of 3080 TUF OC and there are no stickers as such. They will not honor warranty if you changed anything in the card (thermal pads, cooler etc).

Exclusions from this limited Warranty Service:

(a) The Product has been tampered with, repaired and/or modified by non-authorized personnel;

(c) The warranty seals have been broken or altered;

What exactly is the warranty seal that is mentioned in ASUS's T&C.

Back