Graphic Cards GPU pricing trends

I don't sham, but there's a difference between a gentleman's profit for a used product vs. blind scalper pricing/profiteering on the forum. Yes, I've seen people with similar sentiments even at OcUK and OCN.

Loved this line, to be honest. I think most people talking against the whole anti-scalper practice going on these days seem to miss that point. The prices being asked even in stores are insane and yes, one can't hide behind the MSRP being printed as 3x or 4x of Nvidia's suggested price.

Off course, these days even the LHR cards being sold for 1.5x or 2x of Nvidia's suggested price smacks of greed. Nothing else. But then, stock hoarding and price gouging is a real thing, so its not as if we can do anything but complain about it. Most people like several here can easily afford to buy even the higher end cards at these scalper prices but we are not, simply because there is better use of money than gifting it to scalper greed. Especially for a product that has an average life cycle of 4 to 5 years.

I didn't mean that it was bad thing, I meant that it was more of a unique thing to India. The shaming is warranted. Electronics are meant to depreciate. It's how technology advances. You knew this when you were buying that product. And the political/economic climate (temporarily) changed and made things difficult for everyone (also temporarily), and you want to take advantage of this for monetary gain. It's not ethical behavior. But my morals aren't your morals so I don't say anything.

I haven't purchased a single thing above MRP in all my years, and that's the protection I'm talking about. Remember, there are people who pay MRP for computer hardware, regular people not rich people. In recent years, MRP has been endlessly been revised, but this wasn't the case a decade or so ago. Even with the revisions, what's printed is the price that it can be sold at, legally. That's not the case in the west, I've routinely paid more than msrp. There's this Arizona Ice Tea that famously prints their prices on the can, and I have never been able to purchase it at that price.

There is legal recourse for consumers against companies charging more than MRP, or anything excessively, but most of us are too lazy to see it through. Some people do persist: https://newsmeter.in/consumer-voice/kfc-fined-rs-50k-for-levying-packing-charge-676002 and the law ends up on their side. This is unheard of in the west.

What protection exactly when they can hike the MRP at will?

I had thought that if a price is printed and the goods are shipped, that's it. That's the maximum price it can be sold at. If you want to increase the price, then you make/import more product and print a new label for the new stuff. You cannot slap on a new sticker on previously priced goods to increase prices. That was my understanding.

Last edited:
^ Does India have laws against price gouging? Not aware of it.
India anyways has worlds shittiest ancient laws and you expect they will do something..
Don’t order anything from such bogus/scam sites. The courier guy won’t let you open the box without money and after giving the money if you find out it’s something fake nothing can be done. Keep your money safe and buy only from legit sites
No, you can order and say bhai paisa arrange karne gayela hai..will be back in some min. Till then pani piyo ::D and open the box and if bricks and mortar then bang him with the same!

Loved this line, to be honest. I think most people talking against the whole anti-scalper practice going on these days seem to miss that point.
I've to say I picked it off some discussion at OcUK. :p Since they have a no profiteering rule, the mods simply disregarded "a gentleman's profit" when some members suggested, because: the rules are what prevent gentlemen from turning into those things at eBay.

@rsaeon Agreed. I misunderstood some bits of your previous post reg price protection and laws against gouging.
And each country's laws have their own perks and downsides. In the US people can sue anyone for reasons which will seem silly to us here.

India anyways has worlds shittiest ancient laws and you expect they will do something..

No, you can order and say bhai paisa arrange karne gayela hai..will be back in some min. Till then pani piyo ::D and open the box and if bricks and mortar then bang him with the same!
Bhai bechare courier person is not at fault, he is doing his job lol of onĺy the delivery

Two main reasons that the price of GPU will come down and also they reason for Bitcoin price falling like this.

1. Tamil nadu is still under lockdown till 28th June and most of the Computer stuff is shipped out from there. Let's wait till July mid and see what happens. My vendor told me so.
2. Chinese government is on Full swing mode taking a crackdown on Mining Farms. Reason is the unnecessary carbon footprint which they have been trying to control for years now. now

Analysts have regularly pointed out that running the computers needed for bitcoin production is bad for the environment. Cambridge university’s Bitcoin Electricity Consumption index suggests that bitcoin mining consumes 133.68 terawatt hours a year of electricity, more than Sweden did last year.

Crypto mining advocates, however, say at least part of the energy used is from clean sources, some of which may have otherwise gone untapped because they are in areas off typical energy grids.

Despite measures in 2017 and 2019 to tamp down bitcoin trading and investment, China remained the main global hub for creation of bitcoin and accounted for up to 75 per cent of the world’s mining, according to pre-crackdown estimates.

It's as simple as crypto prices falling.
If Bitcoin falls to 20k USD, mining breakeven costs will increase substantially and short term/rookie miners will panic and sell.
Now if btc increases to 60k, GPU prices will never fall except for LHR cards. And now economics comes into play where manufacturer only have limited resources and higher profits on non-LHR cards so they will always produce more non-LHR cards than LHR cards.

Where in TN are the products coming from?

I'm guessing one it's 18 ports since the majority of computer hardware is shipped (ha) by sea.

Cambridge university’s Bitcoin Electricity Consumption index

Thanks for sharing this, it's nice to see real time estimations: https://cbeci.org/

more than Sweden did last year

For reference, the entire population of Sweden as a country, is less than Mumbai as a city. (1.02 cr vs 1.25 cr)

This statistic made me curious about the yearly energy production in other countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_energy_consumption

India is at 860 TWh, UK at 400, Australia at 257, and the US at 4,400 TWh. These are 2011 numbers, so a decade ago.

Analysts have regularly pointed out that running the computers needed for bitcoin production is bad for the environment.

Analysts need to look at the bigger picture.

In 2018, world total electricity final consumption reached 22,315 TWh

Bitcoin peaked at an all high estimate 144TWh per year five weeks ago and today the estimate is at 87 TWh per year.

Two main reasons that the price of GPU will come down

The chatter in most GPU mining circles is that prices will crash because none of the alternative cryptocurrencies would be as profitable as ETH (peak prices have already dropped $100 this week compared to two weeks ago). They've also accepted that gamers would not want to buy up GPUs used for mining, so they're expecting that it's going to be a tough several months to a year until the one of the other cryptocurrencies difficulty/value adjusts to fill the void. Some of these people have been mining since the Radeon R9 290 era and are still using those cards eight years later today, so they expect the gpu mining market will adjust eventually. The miners that need to stay profitable on a daily basis will drop out while those who don't will stay in.

The last time a dry spell like this is predicted to be (where you can't earn enough to cover electrical costs) was back in 2012 with Litecoin, if I recall correctly.

The larger miners operate on a scale that's unfathomable. I have someone local to me trying to offload 300 Galax/Zotac 1050ti's that were never unpacked. They were imported a long time ago, but he was so busy setting up the more profitable cards that by the time he came to this pallet of 1050ti's, it's no longer worth doing (profitability for a 1050ti today is $15/month).

The larger miners operate on a scale that's unfathomable. I have someone local to me trying to offload 300 Galax/Zotac 1050ti's that were never unpacked. They were imported a long time ago, but he was so busy setting up the more profitable cards that by the time he came to this pallet of 1050ti's, it's no longer worth doing (profitability for a 1050ti today is $15/month).

https://www.olx.in/item/300-cards-brand-new-gtx1050ti-eth-gpu-graphic-card-gtx-1050ti-iid-1638173106
if you know the person; we can have GO thread created and interested ppl can buy the cards - from the OLX photos they appear to be in unused/new like condition.

If you check thee news, GPU prices are dropping slowly in Europe. I am a bit positive now that in coming months, the prices may or might come down. Can't say about the msrp but they surely will.

Looks like Rahul is only charging 10k for shipping+taxes. Sounds pretty good to me, if we can score a card at MSRP there it'll be a really good deal.

Warranty will be a PITA but if that's not an issue then this can be considered. Cards regularly drop on AMD and other sites, higher chance of getting one at MSRP there than here

if you know the person; we can have GO thread created and interested ppl can buy the cards - from the OLX photos they appear to be in unused/new like condition.
The ad says 100 GPUs minimum and even for 300 card bulk order the price is 13k per card
This statistic made me curious about the yearly energy production in other countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_energy_consumption

Interesting list. Sweden and Norway use the least amount of fossil fuels for energy production so I assume electricity might be much cheaper there and therefore per capita usage is significantly higher. Off-Topic but it's amazing that these nations were almost fully transitioned to renewable energy sources way back in 2012. I know the small population helps a lot but still a huge achievement. Every other nation just trying to catch up at this point.

Last edited:
The ad says 100 GPUs minimum and even for 300 card bulk order the price is 13k per card

Interesting list. Sweden and Norway use the least amount of fossil fuels for energy production so I assume electricity might be much cheaper there and therefore per capita usage is significantly higher. Off-Topic but it's amazing that these nations were almost fully transitioned to renewable energy sources way back in 2012. I know the small population helps a lot but still a huge achievement. Every other nation just trying to catch up at this point.
well they generate their electricity from garbage , they literally import garbage from neighboring countries

Back