Graphic Cards GTX 260 894mb vs. HD 4870 512mb, suggestions please

sayonm

Disciple
I am in-decisive about which card to get. I'm thinking between gtx 260 and hd 4870.

My criteria for choosing the card is:

1. Gaming offcourse
  2. Dual monitor support - 19" Dell(DVI) and 32" Bravia(HDMI). And watching HD contents in 32".
  3. Lastly minimum power consumption in idle mode as I'll use the system for downloading also.

Also I'm surely NOT buying a Palit card :no:, as there are just toooo many complaints. For ATI card, I'm looking for Sapphire and for nVidia I'm thinking of Zotac/XFX. Can some one please confirm the approx costs for these following cards.

• Sapphire HD 4870
  • Sapphire HD 4850 with HDMI port (is this available in India)
  • XFX/Zotac Gtx 260

Thanx ALL in advance :thanx:

ps: I will not overclock and i'll also wont put the cards in SLI or CF

pps: I dont have a system yet, so I cant provide the other components' details. My decision of the GFX card is the current bottleneck for me to decide the final config :D

+2 for GTX 260:

Faster

Cooler

Less Power hungry

Yea XFX and Zotac are well built nvidia cards.

OT: i suppose u have a good SMPS for hi-end cards... a Corsair CX400 is a minimum.

GTX260 216sp > 4870

GTX275 deal by phoenix is a great vfm deal, but from what I've head galaxys' after sales service is handled by TAG..

which ain't that great..

I personally have had good experiences with MSI and XFX(Rashi)

OK GTX 260 it is.

But how much does a Zotac/XFX build cost?? Any particular preference between these builds.

@udayrulz:GTX 275 is slightly an overkill for me (price+performance wise)..anyways thanks for ur suggestion

@sato: I'm planning to get a Corsair VX 450W

^^ @mutant: HD 4870 1GB, How does it fare against gtx 260 wrt idle power consumption? What is approx cost of the card u mentioned?

Most of what needs to be said, has already been said. Just note that the Zotac GTX 260 comes with a 5 year warranty whereas the XFX comes with a 3 year warranty. The build of both the cards is the same anyway.

damn said:
Most of what needs to be said, has already been said. Just note that the Zotac GTX 260 comes with a 5 year warranty whereas the XFX comes with a 3 year warranty. The build of both the cards is the same anyway.

Enough said....GTX 260 it is....can someone pleeeaaassseeee tell me the price of XFX and Zotac gtx 260 price (in Bangalore preferably). I thing techshop.in and itwares prices are on the higher side. So some1 please tell me how much these cards are gonna cost?

damn said:

IIRC, that 5 yr warranty thingie on Zotac cards is a bit weird. :S

It's only 2 yrs local warranty and the remaining 3 yrs are from someplace else. :ashamed:

Maybe someone who has rmaed a Zotac card can throw some more light on this. :)

XFX is full 3 yrs local and reports say they have become quite prompt with replacements. :)

MSI has a fair reputation so far with respect to after sales support. It has a more efficient cooler than the reference cards. I believe it has previously been pointed out elsewhere that the GTX series cards are all nvidia OEMs with just BIOS flashes, overclocks and in some cases(like MSI) coolers being custom, so dont worry about the build quality itself.

One thing I'm a bit apprehensive about the mentioned MSI gtx 260 OC card. Can someone confirm whether a similar card w/o OC is available (MSI India site says there is a card w/o OC)and what is the cost. I feel that OCing a card decreases its life span by a considerable amount (or am I wrong?).

@sayonm

not if temps are kept normal.

actually its not ocing which is harmful, but running for long on high temps is the culprit for lower IC life span.

The prices of these cards just keep coming down to Rs 0 almost...if you compare to the purchase price. So i suggest that you use the card to the fullest, since they become worthless piece of junk in about three years. Newer cards and powerful games will arrive which will which will make the current setup look outdated.

I guess that MSI is not offering cards without OC. Though they have 4 version called OC, OCv2...OCv4. It's a good card. If you are from delhi, Shop at SMC in Nehru
Place. Getting warranty will be easier.

Also from the suggestions from the internet, It is the card chip that should be first consideration rather than brand. Both the chip companies have tight control over the card manufacturers to maintain the proper quality otherwise the reputation of the chip manufacturer gets tarnished.

So i guess you can even go for a cheaper Palit card Sonic edition. (cheaper by Rs 1,300).

But it comes with 2 fans. Since you intend to do a lot of downloading, you may have to bear additional noise just incase the system is in your bedroom.

matoind said:

I guess that MSI is not offering cards without OC. Though they have 4 version called OC, OCv2...OCv4.

So i guess you can even go for a cheaper Palit card Sonic edition. (cheaper by Rs 1,300).

But it comes with 2 fans. Since you intend to do a lot of downloading, you may have to bear additional noise just incase the system is in your bedroom.
Replying to one points after another:

MSI does have GTX 260 card W/O OC. here is the link MSI Global ? Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more
This also has dual fans and heat pipes just like the OC model.

I'm NOT buying Palit:no: They just have tooooo many complains. I have read too many forums and too many threads suggesting the same. I'm glad to spend 1.5k more in return of peace of mind :)

Finally, sound is not a huge deal, as the comp will be not in my bedroom. But sound is a big deal when I'm surfing/watching a movie or just watching TV.

Back