Graphic Cards GTX 960 with legacy BIOS motherboard

retrophiliac

Disciple
Hello TE members. I see an MSI GTX 960 listed in the market section, which I'm interested in, but I'm not sure if it'll work with my system or not. Below are my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955
Biostar A780L3C motherboard (760G chipset)
Corsair VS 450 PSU

After researching a bit, I've found that this card [MSI GTX 960] requires a motherboard that comes with UEFI BIOS, but the one I'm having has legacy BIOS.

I concluded that it wouldn't work, but later, I came across a Steam page where a user was sporting an MSI GTX 960 card along with an AMD 760G chipset motherboard [not sure if 760G chipset motherboards also came with UEFI], which had me lingering in the same dilemma yet again.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

It wont work as I had similar amd athlon setup which I just sold here and my gtx690 requires uefi compatible mobo. This gpu never worked on that mobo but worked flawlessly on only uefi systems.
Still research thoroughly as might be some bios update or tweak might do the job in your case...

It wont work as I had similar amd athlon setup which I just sold here and my gtx690 requires uefi compatible mobo. This gpu never worked on that mobo but worked flawlessly on only uefi systems.
Still research thoroughly as might be some bios update or tweak might do the job in your case...
Thank you for the information. The GTX 960 has mixed reviews; some say it works with legacy BIOS, while others say it doesn't.

I also came across this MSI site, which says that some MSI cards, such as the AMD Radeon R9 series and the Nvidia GeForce 700/600 series include a Hybrid BIOS that allows them to be used on legacy systems.

The GTX 900 series was nowhere mentioned on this site, so I assume there's nothing like hybrid BIOS for anything released after the GTX 700 series. Looks like I'll have to let it go.

Back