[Guide] How to use Genexis Modem in Bridge Mode

RaceGurram

Disciple
Hi,

Most of the fiber optic providers in India (BSNL, Airtel, Act) are providing Genexis Routers (Genexis Earth 2022) as part of fiber optic ONT switch cum router.
The range and speed capacity of it is very limited. It's basic modem with Wifi router capabilities.
To increase the range and seamless connectivity, I purchased TP-Link AX90.

By default you can connect TP-Link AX90 in access point mode with one click setup option by connecting LAN port of Genexis Earth 2022 to AX90 Gigabit port.
But this introduces Double NAT. There are not many instructions available for Genexis routers as they seem to be widely used in India only.

Here are the steps to setup proper Bridge Mode between Genexis Modem and TP-Link or any Router.
At the end of this setup, Genexis Modem will act as Fiber network decoder and acts like bridge to TP-Link router. TP-Link router will connect to your ISP and any other stuff you expect from router.

1. Connect Genexis Modem and TP-Link router using ethernet cable.
2. Open Genexis Modem admin page (typically 192.168.0.1 or you can find from your wifi settings). The password is generic based on your ISP
3. Open Admin page and go to wan settings and typically you will find the following configuration
1.png

4. Change options to following
  1. select 'nas0_0' (this is the default profile created with connection type set as INTERNET_TR69 - it is ok to use it)
  2. Select settings as shown in the screenshot below
    1. Exact settings :
      1. VLAN = checked
      2. 802.1p_mark = 0
      3. Multicase Vlan id = empty
      4. Channel Mode = Bridged
      5. Bridge Mode = Bridged Ethernet (Transparent Bridging)
      6. Enable NAPT = unchecked
      7. Enable QOS = unchecked
      8. Admin Status = Enable
      9. Connection Type = INTERNET
      10. Enable IGMP Proxy = unchecked
      11. Enable MLD Proxy = unchecked
5. Reboot the modem and you will notice that you can no longer connect to ISP.
6. Now open your respective router (TP-Link) admin page and setup as PPPoE connection
7. Use the ISP username and password

This should set you up and running your router with single NAT and your ISP modem acting as fiber optic network switch.

Can we do wireless bridging, that is without connecting the TP link router and Genexis modem
Thats not bridging anymore. Its more of extending network (mesh). You can do it but it the base modem itself has weak antenna

You dont need another router for that. You can just buy few wifi repeaters

Excellent Guide.
I also have Genexis router given with excitel connection.
Do you also know a way to run titanium 2122a from Genexis in bridge mode?
The UI is not the same as on your Genexis modem-router.

Excellent Guide.
The concept is same. Unless I can see the GUI, cant suggest

Hi,

Most of the fiber optic providers in India (BSNL, Airtel, Act) are providing Genexis Routers (Genexis Earth 2022) as part of fiber optic ONT switch cum router.
The range and speed capacity of it is very limited. It's basic modem with Wifi router capabilities.
To increase the range and seamless connectivity, I purchased TP-Link AX90.

By default you can connect TP-Link AX90 in access point mode with one click setup option by connecting LAN port of Genexis Earth 2022 to AX90 Gigabit port.
But this introduces Double NAT. There are not many instructions available for Genexis routers as they seem to be widely used in India only.

Here are the steps to setup proper Bridge Mode between Genexis Modem and TP-Link or any Router.
At the end of this setup, Genexis Modem will act as Fiber network decoder and acts like bridge to TP-Link router. TP-Link router will connect to your ISP and any other stuff you expect from router.

1. Connect Genexis Modem and TP-Link router using ethernet cable.
2. Open Genexis Modem admin page (typically 192.168.0.1 or you can find from your wifi settings). The password is generic based on your ISP
3. Open Admin page and go to wan settings and typically you will find the following configuration
View attachment 159374

4. Change options to following
  1. select 'nas0_0' (this is the default profile created with connection type set as INTERNET_TR69 - it is ok to use it)
  2. Select settings as shown in the screenshot below
    1. Exact settings :
      1. VLAN = checked
      2. 802.1p_mark = 0
      3. Multicase Vlan id = empty
      4. Channel Mode = Bridged
      5. Bridge Mode = Bridged Ethernet (Transparent Bridging)
      6. Enable NAPT = unchecked
      7. Enable QOS = unchecked
      8. Admin Status = Enable
      9. Connection Type = INTERNET
      10. Enable IGMP Proxy = unchecked
      11. Enable MLD Proxy = unchecked
5. Reboot the modem and you will notice that you can no longer connect to ISP.
6. Now open your respective router (TP-Link) admin page and setup as PPPoE connection
7. Use the ISP username and password

This should set you up and running your router with single NAT and your ISP modem acting as fiber optic network switch.

awesome, while i will test this, i had a more important qn :

how do we disable wifi on the earth series modems?
is there a way apart from enabling bridge mode, following your guide and heckling the ISPs for un/pw ??

thanks in advance!

Excellent Guide.

I have the Titanium 2122A from Airtel. All I had to do is switch the Internet connection's gateway type to Bridge from Route mode. Keep everything unchecked below, select PPPoE bridge as bridge mode. Post a screenshot of your router's WAN page if needed.

An additional trick you can do is put the OPON on a different subnet than your main net. That way if your main router supports dual IP PPPoE (TP Link does) you can continue to access the OPON even though it is in bridge mode.

Thats not bridging anymore. Its more of extending network (mesh). You can do it but it the base modem itself has weak antenna

You dont need another router for that. You can just buy few wifi repeaters
Yes how can i do that extending wirelessly? I have an old router here and i would like to use that as the wifi repeater . And the videos found online has different settings compared to the GX router. I cant eem to find the wireless settings and enable wds bridge mode.

Back