Guide to connect Airtel modem router to any other router seamlessly without bridge mode

thegr8anand

Disciple
Just wanted to share how i got my Netgear X4S (R7800) router working seamlessly using DMZ on Airtel router modem Nokia G-140W-F . Both work individually (act as DCHP servers) and devices can connect to both. I personally disable wireless radios of my Airtel and only use Netgear for all my connections. No need for bridge mode either.

I had to find these on my own as Airtel didn't want anything to do with any other router. Even when i was able to get internet working there were issues with online gaming because of nat connectivity which now works as it should.

You need to have access to each router settings page separately. Best way is to connect using ethernet individually to each through a laptop and configure each. After setup join them using ethernet cable. Although if you have default wifi setup already you can connect using your phone to access their configuration pages usually 192.168.1.1

Settings for Airtel router ( 192.168.1.1 in my case)

1 - LAN Settings: To get your other router working seamlessly first you need to know the MAC address of the other router you are connecting to the airtel one. This is usually written itself on the router at the back. This is because you need to setup DMZ on your airtel router for your other router (step 2). For that you need to give that router a static ip from your airtel router. Use any one from its DHCP range (i set mine for 192.168.1.7 for example).

airtel-router-1.jpg

2 - DMZ: Enable DMZ as below after you have added a static entry for your other router.

airtel-router-7.jpg

3 - Finally DNS, Firewall and UPnP settings need to be like this (if its not already)

airtel-router-5.jpg

airtel-router-6.jpg

airtel-router-8.jpg

Rest of the settings don't need to be touched.

Now for your other router settings.
4 - Internet Setup (WAN): Since Airtel will be making internet connection you don't need to using your ISP login settings on your other router and let them remain on default. Here are mine on my Netgear for example:

netgear-router-1.jpg

5 - Lan Settings: My netgear auto-switched from 192.168.1.1 to 10.0.0.1 once it detected a conflict with airtel. You can use any ip adress you want like 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.0.1 etc

netgear-router-3.jpg

6 - Nat and UPnP: Nat should be disabled on this router as it creates a conflict with airtel where it is enabled

netgear-router-2.jpg

netgear-router-4.jpg

7 - Now with both routers configured connect them using ethernet cable. The cable should go into internet (coloured) port of your other router.

IMG_20201017_123247.jpg

IMG_20201017_130900.jpg

Attachments

• airtel-router-2.jpg
    airtel-router-2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 889
  • airtel-router-6.jpg
    airtel-router-6.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 785
  • netgear-router-3.jpg
    netgear-router-3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,029
@thegr8anand : thanks for sharing your guide.

I have the Airtel V Fiber installed with the Rs.999/200mbps plan coupled with the GPON BDT-121 router. The promised speeds i.e. 200mbps are being attained but only if the device is close to the router placed in living room and as we move far in the bedrooms, the speed drops considerably and is close to only 50-55 mbps.

Can you please recommend in terms of a layman the best approach I can adopt in order to have best speeds i.e. atleast >150-175mbps in all corners of my home? Can I buy a new modem/router and configure it for my connection or do you recommend using another router at wifi repeater/extender? I am unsure of either and looking forward to your best suggestions.

Thank you!

Repeater will slow you down so not what you are looking for. If you can extended with another router using ethernet then its the best solution. If your house is not long and flat then maybe a better router MIGHT help. But even then the wifi module of connected devices also make a difference meaning you just can't get full speed on that device. So if you can run ethernet cable around the house and add router to it you can get full speed.

@thegr8anand : I'm unable to find another GPON modem+router that should be a plug and play for Airtel and hence I was wondering to adopt an approach similar to the one above. i.e. leave the existing BDT-121 connected as it is and purchase TP Link Archer C6. I believe this might resolve the issue of absymal speeds indoors since i primarily believe it is due to that cheapo- airtel router.

any other router that you'd recommend? And also, you prompt response before is highly appreciated :)

Nothing will be plug and play. As i said new router might help but probably not as much as you are expecting. Even expensive routers don't mean more coverage. If you can run a longer ethernet cable and place the new router in a different location you can use both routers separately and cover your house that way. Also use 2.4G band as it has more range than 5G.

I have used exactly the same setup but not the best . Would suggest the following method

On second router
1. Disable DHCP
2. Connect the lan wire to normal port and not wan
3. Under lan, give a static IP, probably 192.168.1.2

First airtel router
1. Change the DHCP settings so it can start from 192.168.1.10 or further onnto avoid ip address conflict with 2nd router

That's it

Advantages

1. I have enabled upnp in first, so it will work across any router. Same goes with ftp as I connected 1tb hdd to first router
2. All ip address will be in same segment

Just wanted to share how i got my Netgear X4S (R7800) router working seamlessly using DMZ on Airtel router modem Nokia G-140W-F . Both work individually (act as DCHP servers) and devices can connect to both. I personally disable wireless radios of my Airtel and only use Netgear for all my connections. No need for bridge mode either.

I had to find these on my own as Airtel didn't want anything to do with any other router. Even when i was able to get internet working there were issues with online gaming because of nat connectivity which now works as it should.

You need to have access to each router settings page separately. Best way is to connect using ethernet individually to each through a laptop and configure each. After setup join them using ethernet cable. Although if you have default wifi setup already you can connect using your phone to access their configuration pages usually 192.168.1.1

1 - LAN Settings: To get your other router working seamlessly first you need to know the MAC address of the other router you are connecting to the airtel one. This is usually written itself on the router at the back. This is because you need to setup DMZ on your airtel router for your other router (step 2). For that you need to give that router a static ip from your airtel router. Use any one from its DHCP range (i set mine for 192.168.1.7 for example).

View attachment 92185

2 - DMZ: Enable DMZ as below after you have added a static entry for your other router.

View attachment 92187

3 - Finally DNS, Firewall and UPnP settings need to be like this (if its not already)

View attachment 92188

View attachment 92190

View attachment 92191

4 - Internet Setup (WAN): Since Airtel will be making internet connection you don't need to using your ISP login settings on your other router and let them remain on default. Here are mine on my Netgear for example:

View attachment 92192

5 - Lan Settings: My netgear auto-switched from 192.168.1.1 to 10.0.0.1 once it detected a conflict with airtel. You can use any ip adress you want like 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.0.1 etc

View attachment 92193

6 - Nat and UPnP: Nat should be disabled on this router as it creates a conflict with airtel where it is enabled

View attachment 92195

View attachment 92196

7 - Now with both routers configured connect them using ethernet cable. The cable should go into internet (coloured) port of your other router.

View attachment 92197
View attachment 92198
Hi, I have nokia g 2425 g, router given by airtel, I would like to use asus GT AC 2900 router, instead of the nokia router. I followed the instructions as shown, but I can't add the MAC address of the asus router. Can you help me, please. Thanks
Screenshot_20201204-204608.jpg

I am unable to add the MAC address of my asus router. I am attaching the error screenshot.View attachment 95166

Connect that router with the airtel one either through cable or wireless then you should see the device's mac as one of the connected devices. You should be able to add then. I think that error is coming as you can only add a static dhcp to one of the already connected devices.

Connect that router with the airtel one either through cable or wireless then you should see the device's mac as one of the connected devices. You should be able to add then. I think that error is coming as you can only add a static dhcp to one of the already connected devices.
It's connected to LAN port No 4 of nokia router to WAN port of asus router, but still the same error is displayed. I reset the asus router and simply reconnected the cable to WAN port and I got connected, I could see and use airtel, 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz, and also asus 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands. But the issue is I am unable to login to router page of the asus router. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Screenshot_20201205-224746.jpg

Hi, is there any fix, I am happy to use your methods, but getting MAC binding error, please help me. Thanks

Last edited:
It's connected to LAN port No 4 of nokia router to WAN port of asus router, but still the same error is displayed. I reset the asus router and simply reconnected the cable to WAN port and I got connected, I could see and use airtel, 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz, and also asus 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands. But the issue is I am unable to login to router page of the asus router. Any help would be appreciated. ThanksView attachment 95205
Hi, is there any fix, I am happy to use your methods, but getting MAC binding error, please help me. Thanks
to login to your asus router you will have to put manual ip in your pc which should be in same subnet as your asus router and then try to login

View attachment 92185

View attachment 92187

View attachment 92188

View attachment 92190

View attachment 92191

View attachment 92192

View attachment 92193

View attachment 92195

View attachment 92196

View attachment 92197
View attachment 92198
I am using airtel fiber 200mbps plan from past 5 months .
I am into gaming so whenever I play a match i have to restart the modem so that i won't get any losses failing to do that i get (5-10%) losses
I changed my router , wiring but nothing works. Speed is 230 download and 225 upload. Any suggestions?

Hi,

I have Tata Fiber with 500 mbps [ with GPON Nokia G-2425G-A modem].

Would it be possible to connect Netgear R6950 router as extender wirelessly?

Regards,
Nikhil

Back