PC Peripherals Guys Help needed with psu

johnie1

Disciple
Guys,

I need a new psu as i think my current psu is failing.What happens is the system when i start it starts up fine the bios and all and then suddenly just shuts down.So i think my psu is failing.My rig is an old one abt 7 years now but which has served me faithfully.
My current psu is Bestec and rated at 250 w.My cabby is midsized one.So my question is are there different psu sizes ie for a full tower one and for a mid tower one? or does one size fit all.
Second Can anyone recommend a vfm psu not too expensive but good one.

Thanks a lot
john

It could be due to viruses too..Try reinstalling windows during boot up..If the pc continues to experience shutdowns/restarts inspite of the reinstallation then either your ram or psu is the culprit..About the psu i recommend a 400w powersafe(1.2k)..

techmonk said:
It could be due to viruses too..Try reinstalling windows during boot up..If the pc continues to experience shutdowns/restarts inspite of the reinstallation then either your ram or psu is the culprit..About the psu i recommend a 400w powersafe(1.2k)..
thanks techmonk.well i considered it and have run spybot and lavasoft adware.deleted all the browser hijacks.Before that i cleaned the machine ie dust and everything.Now when the machine is off for more than 30 minutes then i can start the machine else when it is running say for more than 2 hours if i do want to shut it down and then restart it immediately it restarts and then after the bios screen it just shuts down.So I think it is the psu.Also the system has become too slow and the cpu usage is more than 80 percent most of the time.previously it was 10 to 13 percent alternating to single figures.Something is drastically wrong.Cannot afford to reinstall windows as i have lot of stuff which cannot be installed quickly.Well I am typing from the same machine.Well let me see.

thanks
john

Check RAM also. If u have 2 RAMS, remove one in first instance and see. If not ok, try removing other and installing previous and see. Post your results here

stud123 said:
Check RAM also. If u have 2 RAMS, remove one in first instance and see. If not ok, try removing other and installing previous and see. Post your results here

I have done that stud123.I have 2 sticks one 512mb and one 1 gb.tested it one by one.1 gb works fine but 512 does allow the system to get past the bios screen and then shuts down automatically.however in the bios screen the system says 512mb recognised.Now I am running both of them together and no issues as of now.
The system cpu usage has gone down to about 20 now after i terminated the teatimer process of spybot.
So really perplexed.Do not think it is a software issue else the os should give me some error/warning in the event logs but no it does not show that.So I do think that the monitor is taking a lot of power.

Here is my config.
My config
P4 HT,1.5gb ram,128 mb nvidia geforce 4200,160gb hdd,2 dvd writers,20 inch samsung monitor,wireless kbd and mouse,more than 2TB of external hdds,2.1 speakers.So I think that the 250 w is not enough for my system.Just my guess.I will replace the 512 mb ram with an alternate 1gb stick if it is only a lack of power issue.

hope that helps.

virus32win said:
For your system configuration any cheap 450W SMPS@ 420/- will do job perfectly.

Can you suggest some brand ... I wanna know do I get some thing worthy from VIP or zebronics for 500-700?

Thanks virus32win.The only thing which is stopping me from buying one immediately is the size doubt.Are the midsized one and the normal psu the same.mine says Bestec /Model ATX-250 -12Z RevC.So does any ATX model of the psu work?.other alternative is to unplug my psu and take it to the shop and compare but I do not want to remove my psu since it is working ok at the moment.Is intex 450w psu good.The shop fellow was selling it for 460/- or is there any one better.

Thanks,
john

If you are looking for cheap generic PSU's then the bets ones are from Intex and VIP/Powersafe . They are available for similar pricing of Rs.500/-.

Warning : don't go for iBall/Zebronics they have okish brand name but their cheap PSU's are totally faltu.

thanks aman but my question still remains unresolved.Are all the psu's one size or does the midtower differ from full tower one.

thanks
john

johnie1 said:
t.Also the system has become too slow and the cpu usage is more than 80 percent most of the time.previously it was 10 to 13 percent alternating to single figures.Something is drastically wrong.
thanks
john

Check for virus/adware/malware

johnie1 said:
thanks aman but my question still remains unresolved.Are all the psu's one size or does the midtower differ from full tower one.

thanks

john

Yep, as long as its the ATX form factor (mid-tower MicroATX cases follow the ATX PSU standard as well), the PSU will fit just fine.

BTW do check your CPU temps to ensure its not a case of thermal shut-down or something.

Crazy_Eddy said:
Yep, as long as its the ATX form factor (mid-tower MicroATX cases follow the ATX PSU standard as well), the PSU will fit just fine.

BTW do check your CPU temps to ensure its not a case of thermal shut-down or something.

Thanks Eddy.I also thot that it was the heat but the thing is I have removed one panel of the cabby so there is a good airflow.Maybe have to apply the thermal paste.But now it is atleast up and running.So dont want to disturb the status quo.
What I would like is some help in isolating the system process.The thing is the system process in the taskmanager is taking 20 to 35 percent and that is making the cpu go to 100 percent.Now how do i debug that.What i understand is that the system process encapsulates lot of other processes so as such cannot break it down into component processes so i can debug the system process thread?.Tried the procmon and procexp but no luck.dont think it is a malware but if it is it is hiding well.

Thanks guys.

cheers,
john

johnie1 said:
Is intex 450w psu good.The shop fellow was selling it for 460/- or is there any one better.

In cheap PSU'S intex 450w you are getting is good.I have same unit purchased at 420/- running Intel MB/E2140@1.6/2GB DDR2/WD 640/2 DVD ROMS/4 80MM fans/2 PCI cards/USB camera/USB LAN well tried XFX 8600GTS also.All running fine till date.

This SMPS comes with 20A on 12 V line.

Buying quality SMPS if better option provided you have budget.

Do a check on overheating issue as earlier suggested.

Back