Guys my friend is looking to buy iPhone 4...

Hades.

Skilled
Hi... my friend is looking to buy iPhone 4 and after buying it he wants to jailbreak it... So my query is that can a factory unlocked iPhone 4 be updated to new firmware after jailbreaking it...

For eg. If he gets an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1 firmware installed and he jailbreaks it on iOS 4.2.1 would he be able to do the same if he would update to iOS 4.3.3... i mean would he be able to jailbreak it again if he updates the iPhone 4 firmware to iOS 4.3.3... Or would he have to retain the baseband which the iPhone 4 would come with everytime by using Snowbreeze?

Please help...

I know here TE members would advice me to tell him to buy Samsung Galaxy S II as its a much better phone than iPhone 4 but advicing me wouldn't be worth it... Coz he is not gonna listen to me... He has already decided what to buy... And in other words he is a fanboy of iPhone 4... So no point in telling him to buy SGS2 ;) And BTW whats the current price of 16GB factory unlocked iPhone 4?

Regards...
Hades...

There is a dedicated iphone thread to answer all your queries.

@mods please merge the thread

For a FU unlock phone why do you want to preserve baseband( its needed only for locked phones).The latest iOS is 4.3.2 even that has jailbreak.

i created a separate thread bcoz i want to know the price also of 16gb FU iPhone 4... if the sole purpose of this thread would have been jailbreak then i wouldn't even have created this thread... i would have rather posted in the iPhone thread...

Edit: So you meant to say that i wouldn't have to worry about the baseband everytime whenever i would update and jailbreak it... the phone would remain intact i mean unlocked?

@Hades. - you do not need to preserve basebands on FU pieces. You can update to the latest firmware if you want but The jailbreak will depend on how quickly it is available. Usually the JB community outs the JB for the latest firmware within a coue of days to a couple of weeks at the most.

@phoenix

So you meant to say that whenever i would update the firmware the baseband would stay intact and i can update and jailbreak it as many time as i want?

Edit: Another question... How can a person check that whether the iPhone 4 he is buying is factory unlocked or gevey sim unlocked?

Hades. said:
@phoenix

So you meant to say that whenever i would update the firmware the baseband would stay intact and i can update and jailbreak it as many time as i want?

Edit: Another question... How can a person check that whether the iPhone 4 he is buying is factory unlocked or gevey sim unlocked?
Once you JB the phone there are ways to upgrade and downgrade.Don't worry about preserve baseband and all .When the new iOS is out check for JB status and then update .There is a tool in Cydia Pushfix repo which fools itunes, tell it that there are no more updates apart from the one running on the phone.

Untill you open the box packing and pop in a sim you cant tell whether the phone is FU or not.

rbattish said:
DELHI GAFAR MARKET: 31 K for a 16GB model
He is still fleecing the customers then.

Here in Mumbai following the official launch of iPhone 4, prices have dropped on FU imported pieces to 28k or less for 16GB. Yes it needs some haggling but its doable. I got 28k quote without haggle as even shop keepers know they cant sell it for 30k+ when official pieces can be bought for as less as 32.5k (less with coupons if you are ready to buy online ). Many of them have some stock of these imported phones with them and are looking to clear it off. Bargain and you will get sweet deal now.

pratikb said:
hi shripad,

where can i find it??

i have to get one for my sister,

kindly help me where i should bargain.
Indraprastha and Raghuleela mall (shops on bottom level).

Current going rate is around 28-29k for 16GB and 34-35k for 32GB. If you are quoted high, haggle, quote online prices, if you have smart phone, show it to them on your phone :p

You will get a good deal.

Back