User Guides Hands on with ratDVD !

Hands on with ratDVD !
This wonderful piece of software was discovered by Nitnay in this thread here so all the credit (reps ;)) should go to him for posting and reps can be directed to me for the hands-on. :ashamed:
Features of the software:
ratDVD takes a full featured DVD-9 movie and puts it into a highly compressed .ratDVD container format file of about 1.x GB in size - while preserving all the features of the original DVD such as:
• Full anamorphic picture, seamless branching, multiple video angles, multiple audio channels, subpictures, etc.
• Keep movie versions (Directors Cut, Theatrical version, etc.), Alternate story endings, making of, video commentary, cut scenes, etc...
• Keep complete menus, navigation and features
• Reliable high quality, valid check-summed container.
The tools used for the hand-on were as follows:
1) ratDVD Download
2) DVD Decrypter Download
3) Windows XP, DirectX9, Windows Media Player 10 and a DVD plaback software like Powerdvd or Windvd
Ok once you have all of the stuff installed we can get started.
For the experiment I am going to use Disc 1 of the Matrix Reloaded DVD set. The original size of the DVD was around 6.22GB which would require two single layered dvds or an expensive dual layer DVD to make a back-up on. This is where ratDVD comes in, ratDVD is able to compress a DVD-9 to a target size of around 1.xGB. IN this hands-on we are going to examine the same claim made by ratDVD.
DVD Decrypter is the favorite VOB ripping software and the first step is to rip all the files from the DVD to your Hdd.

The next step is to select the location where the files need to be saved and then start the ripping process.

After the ripping process is done we need to fire up ratDVD. On the main interface click on File and then Open and point to the main .ifo file of the movie. Once you select it the content section on the main interface will be loaded and you can select all the elements that need to be included in the final DVD. You can remove unwanted languages and subtitles options. The keep option keeps the content for the end result, the remove option does the opposite while the convert options is available for Dolby and DTS streams which can be compressed.

The quality slider can be used to achieve better quality but I haven’t played around with it. Once you have configured all the options it’s time to click on the start conversion button.

The conversion and transcoding was done on a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 with 512 Megs ram. Since it was kept overnight I have no idea how much time it took but my estimate would be anywhere between 4-6 hours depending on the length of the movie.
In the morning I found that the conversion process was complete and to my surprise the file size was 1.45 GB. The output in .ratDVD format was playable on Windows Media player however it did not work with either VLC or PowerDVD.
Conclusion: ratDVD looks the next big thing in file compression. Also since the end file is encoded in a single file the validity is ensured by a checksum; a perfect candidate for torrent and other p2p network. The ratDVD can be converted back to a regular DVD which can be played on a standalone player without much significant loss in quality. I am sure this format will be getting popular in the days ahead and more so within the p2p circle.
Samples from the converted ratDVD. Pardon the resolution and ar since Fraps screwed it up. ;)

Disclaimer: The purpose of this tutorial is only educational and should be used for backing up legally owned DVD’s only.

drgrudge said:
Ok blade.. doubt:
1. When i use DVD Decrypter, and only i want to RIP the DVD and not encode or use this .ratDVD, how long does it take (u said 25min, but thats the whole process or only DVD ripping) , how do we select the type? The whole image or the files only.

2. What are DVD-5 and DVD-9 types?
1. the ripping process is only 25 mins or so but the conversion process is long ! It taked anywhere between 6-7 hrs or more depending on the length of the movie.

2. Single Layer DVD's of 4.3Gb capacity are known as DVD-5 while the dual layered ones which can carry around 8.3Gb of data are known as DVD-9. :)

Ok blade...
I have to be content with 128mb RAM as of now...Shall i start ripping this night? or will i need to have more RAM.
Remember i need to first rip and then convert/encode.

Btw this is going quite offtopic since the thread is related to ratDVD discussion ;)

U can experiment tonite then and see the amount of time difference between using 128Mb ram and more ram when u get it later............

Thanks blade.. i knew it would go offtopic..but u were not there at Yahoo!

So we need to select all the .vob files..

Ok..lets see..i will post back tommorow. 90% i will rip and encode tonight.
Repped and thread rated :)

Just tried this last night.. this is what i get (tried 2 times)

And now we dont need to use DVD Decrypter even for copy protected DVD's.

Blade_Runner said:
Uninstall the current version and install the latest and see if that helps

http://www.ratdvd.dk/download.htm
Blade, just tried out last night man. The earlier versions needed DVD Decrypter in case we wanted to rip off Copy protected DVD's, this one dint need that. Also that DVD is (region -2) copy protected.
I think I have the latest version (0.7 I guess).

Tried the Disk 2 (speacial features and bonus materials), it shows "castrophic error", even before it can open the contents in the DVD. I mean the DVD works fine, the error shows in ratDVD thing. :(

drgrudge said:
Blade, just tried out last night man. The earlier versions needed DVD Decrypter in case we wanted to rip off Copy protected DVD's, this one dint need that. Also that DVD is (region -2) copy protected.
I think I have the latest version (0.7 I guess).

Tried the Disk 2 (speacial features and bonus materials), it shows "castrophic error", even before it can open the contents in the DVD. I mean the DVD works fine, the error shows in ratDVD thing. :(
Then rip the movie to the HDD and try encoding :) (yeah even if u don't need dvd decrypter to rip the movie ;))

Blade_Runner said:
Then rip the movie to the HDD and try encoding :) (yeah even if u don't need dvd decrypter to rip the movie ;))
The problem lies with my HDD space. It's a DVD-9 and I dont have enough space to Rip to my HDD and then again to ratDVD :(

Btw, tried again with only the movie (all other excluded), went 3% in 45 mins and the Green light of my DVD rom drive stopped (busy/activity indicator). So that god-damn error might come, also if the program is running well (till that 3% ; optical drive indicator also running) the CPU usage is around 20% only. When the indication stops then the CPU usage goes to 100%.

Dont know if my system's (you know my old sys's config) "inability" to rip or problem with the DVD (thou it runs fine with my optical drive)...
Blade, do me a favour.
Try to rip a DVD without DVD Decrypter and a copy protected DVD. Tell if it runs fine.

drgrudge said:
The problem lies with my HDD space. It's a DVD-9 and I dont have enough space to Rip to my HDD and then again to ratDVD :(

Btw, tried again with only the movie (all other excluded), went 3% in 45 mins and the Green light of my DVD rom drive stopped (busy/activity indicator). So that god-damn error might come, also if the program is running well (till that 3% ; optical drive indicator also running) the CPU usage is around 20% only. When the indication stops then the CPU usage goes to 100%.

Dont know if my system's (you know my old sys's config) "inability" to rip or problem with the DVD (thou it runs fine with my optical drive)...
Blade, do me a favour.
Try to rip a DVD without DVD Decrypter and a copy protected DVD. Tell if it runs fine.

My guess is that the dvd ripper with ratDVD is not good enough or cant handle the ripping process; scratches on the dvd could also be a source of the problem. About the favour well i am busy right now, so i won't be able to do that :(.

Blade_Runner said:
My guess is that the dvd ripper with ratDVD is not good enough or cant handle the ripping process; scratches on the dvd could also be a source of the problem. About the favour well i am busy right now, so i won't be able to do that :(.
No problems Blade.. it's ok.

The DVD is from British library and it's a new one , so there are no cracks or scratches on the DVD. Well I will try this again on a new DVD.

Btw..
Some one said, why cant we use DVDshrink? It dows the job well too.. this thing uses mp3 audio (good but not great as we hear in DVD's).

Back