Have you used a rust converter?

6pack

ex-Mod
If anyone has used a rust converter and it worked perfectly let me know the brand.

What is a rust converter? It's a chemical with phosphoric acid and something else which reacts with rust to form a hard waterproof surface. It's stops corrosion of the iron or steel surface. The liquid either becomes white or black depending on what you buy. Mainly used everywhere instead of iron oxide or other things. From cars, bikes, iron railings, ships, bridges etc.

I searched on Amazon and there's a Tuf Kote but reviews are mixed. Some say it worked some say the liquid only became a thin layer and came off. So don't feel like buying it.

What you described sounds like a rust remover to me. I don't think there such a thing as a rust converter. Usually once rust is removed you would need to add some extra protective coat on top.

Its a two step process from I understand

What you described sounds like a rust remover to me. I don't think there such a thing as a rust converter. Usually once rust is removed you would need to add some extra protective coat on top.

Its a two step process from I understand

Where do you want to use it?
On a bunch of products. Balcony grill, some iron tools, steel pc cabinet (the fan grill has started to rust and the protective paint has come off), some other miscellaneous rusted objects here and there.

Edit: There are molybdenum polymer based products too which do the same job but costly

Last edited:
These products have inhibitors in them so don't need an extra protective coat.

But to remove all the rust, the remover is the way.

These products use phosphoric acid. But citric acid will work too. But has no inhibitors so it needs a protective coat to be applied after. Otherwise the rusy will just return.

Back