Budget 31-40k Having extra RAM installed by service center in an in-warranty Acer laptop

Pimpom

Disciple
This isn't a request for buying advice but there doesn't seem to be a more appropriate section, so here goes:

I bought an Acer laptop online for someone in my family and it arrived a few days ago. I want to add more RAM to the built-in 4GB but don't want to break the warranty seal. I was wondering if it would still void the warranty if I have the additional RAM installed at an authorised Acer service center.

I sent an email asking about this to their contact address ail.easycare@acer.com two days ago but haven't received any reply. I tried calling their local service center but they don't answer. Can you please provide some enlightenment?

This isn't a request for buying advice but there doesn't seem to be a more appropriate section, so here goes:

I bought an Acer laptop online for someone in my family and it arrived a few days ago. I want to add more RAM to the built-in 4GB but don't want to break the warranty seal. I was wondering if it would still void the warranty if I have the additional RAM installed at an authorised Acer service center.

I sent an email asking about this to their contact address ail.easycare@acer.com two days ago but haven't received any reply. I tried calling their local service center but they don't answer. Can you please provide some enlightenment?

Lately, most laptops are built to have accessible HDD/SSD and RAM slots which allows user upgrades.
First check service manual or post the laptop model here.
In case there is no SEAL /Sticker covering any screws, go ahead and upgrade it yourself.
Remove the RAM in case you have to go to the service center someday.
If there is some screw under some warranty sticker, then you will have to go to service center to get it upgraded.
in that case don't forget to get an acknowledgement from them that they have upgraded the RAM and your warranty stands.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 3 A315-56-323J, an entry level model. A warranty seal covers the middle screw and there are no removable access covers.

You won't void the warranty for something that is meant to be user accessible. Those warranty void stickers are now illegal in most countries.

You won't void the warranty for something that is meant to be user accessible. Those warranty void stickers are now illegal in most countries.
Thanks for the input. But the "meant to be user accessible" part is debatable since this model doesn't have an access cover.

You can just take the RAM with your Laptop and get it installed at the Service Centre for free if your Laptop is still under warranty.
Shouldn't be any problem!

I sent someone to the service center a few days ago but they said that they cannot certify it for continued warranty. So I decided not to let them do it. I'd rather do it myself (long experience in applied electronics) and take a chance on voiding the warranty.

I sent someone to the service center a few days ago but they said that they cannot certify it for continued warranty. So I decided not to let them do it. I'd rather do it myself (long experience in applied electronics) and take a chance on voiding the warranty.
I have an aspire 7 from acer as well. What I did was to heat up the warranty sticker with a hair dryer. This loosened up the sticker and I was able to pull it out without tearing it with the help of a visiting card . Pasted back the sticker next to the screw (can always repeat if I need to take it to the service center for whatever reason).
Try this.

Thanks for your input. That's exactly what I've decided to do but haven't got around to it yet. I don't like cheating but it's justifiable in some cases. I have a soft spot for Acer because they were the first company to introduce affordable laptops some 15 years ago (same thing for Xiaomi with phones). But Acer seems to be poorly organised, at least in India. Their website is a mess and online sellers often provide more details about their products than the company itself.

I got it done first time by service center after they confirmed warranty will not be void as done by service centre . Was adviced to keep bill handy if any issues later , paid 750/ then all RAM and SSD upgrades were done by self as already opened

Thanks for your input. That's exactly what I've decided to do but haven't got around to it yet. I don't like cheating but it's justifiable in some cases. I have a soft spot for Acer because they were the first company to introduce affordable laptops some 15 years ago (same thing for Xiaomi with phones). But Acer seems to be poorly organised, at least in India. Their website is a mess and online sellers often provide more details about their products than the company itself.
My previous experience with their RMA was pretty sub par. They took 3 months to offer a credit note for a laptop they couldn't fix. Even the replacements they provided were duds. But still the service center person was a good being and helped me with the CN eventually with which I got another Acer laptop (that one was with me for 7 years until I sold it to a colleague).

Anyway, I don't feel that the sticker should be there in the first place. You should be able to make these minor upgrades without having to pay "installation charges".

I got additional SSD added on the spare NVME slot of my Predator from Acer Service Center and they charged me 300. The warranty sticker was broken but I was assured by Acer Support & the Service Center that the warranty doesn't go for a toss and the bill can be used if asked.

Back