HD software everywhere, what about the hardware ?

raksrules

Elite
First of all sorry for posting this in Consumer Electronics section but couldn't find any other appropriate section for this.

My question and concerns are that we have/get HD content (software) from various sources and have them stored on HDDs etc but what about the hardware to play them.

Like for eg.my Toshiba Lappy is not able to render a 1080p blu-ray rip movie for obvious hardware limitation and all.

So the main aim to post this thread here i to get a knowhow of what all options do we have to play these HD content on our beloved FULL HD TVs (that we may have or plan to take).

Few of the options that i can think of is the Western Digital TV Media player and Popcorn hour. I dont have much info about the latter.

Also as we know that most of these HD content files have 5.1 channel sound, am aware that these standalone players (WD, Popcorn etc) can only render 2 channel sound.

So guys any suggestions / comments on this will be appreciated.

Another solution is an HTPC. May not be the cheapest solution depending on what hardware you put.

An example of an extensive HTPC:

Code:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/23/kinetics-hd-hub-htpc-now-shipping-hd-dvd-still-a-selectable-op/

well, if you have a home theater, u can use an optical cable from the wd player to your amp. the amp will give you full surround sound. im assuming that you do have a home theater system since you want surround sound.

There is the SlingCatcher. Streams HD content to your TV. Not a standalone, but if you have tons of stuff on your PC, it may be a simpler option than an HTPC. It does 5.1 audio, if I remember correctly.

Bluffmaster said:
Can't we simply connect a laptop to HD TV using HDMI cable and play HD content from it? :S

I think he mentioned in his first post that his Laptop was not powerful enough to play HD files. The other options being discussed are cheaper than springing for a new laptop, hopefully.

PS3 can handle HD contents. And in somewhere i have read that PS3 has the best blueray player till date..... It can also display 1080p with even 7.1 channel sound

^^but what about support of external HDDs and playing mkv files etc

Also Blu ray discs that it will be able to play will be region specific and hence will need to buy only when PS3 is cracked (hopefully)

Back