Graphic Cards HD6950 + Intel C2D - Will it work ?

Rico

Rico Unchained
Adept
If i pair HD 6950 with Intel core2duo E7300 will i see considerable gaming performance improvement over my current set up?
I beleive it would ,if not pls shed some light

What about CPU being a bottle neck here?
yes it would, but in what extent

Why this weird combo?
1) to play crysis ;)
2) my Sandy B upgrade is delayed.

My config. is in my siggy.
Kindly advice.

There will be some cpu bottleneck considering its a C2D and at stock it might be a fair bit but since you are going SB soon it shouldnt be a big issue.

I could achieve a stable OC of 3.2GHZ with stock cooler. I'm a dilemma to stick with current GPU or upgrade. or wait for Ivy B :p

:noob: Doubt - Going thru the system requirements of AMD Radeon HD6950 the minimum CPU requirement is no where mentioned?

Q 1) Does it mean the card would work regardless of CPU and performance would be same?

My view - the GPU will work but the performance also depends cpu upto some extent.

Q 1.1) Then why the recommended cpu is not mentioned. Is it a marketing BS ?

jerryelvis said:
:noob: Doubt - Going thru the system requirements of AMD Radeon HD6950 the minimum CPU requirement is no where mentioned?

Q 1) Does it mean the card would work regardless of CPU and performance would be same?

My view - the GPU will work but the performance also depends cpu upto some extent.

Q 1.1) Then why the recommended cpu is not mentioned. Is it a marketing BS ?
Why should they recommend a CPU!!! It upto the user to decide.

In case they do ATI/AMD will recommend only AMD ones and Nvidia wouldnt want to recommend either Intel or AMD :p

Then ideally they should recommend how many GB of RAM you should use etc.... A n00b might get i7 990x, HD 6970 and use it with 1GB DDR3 RAM :p

Requirements vary according to games. So each game will have a minimum and recommended h/w for good gameplay.

Why should GPU manufacturer recommend CPU's? There is no logic here. They do recommend a min. wattage PSU which will be needed for the card and that is the max. you can expect.

What is the power supply and case you have?

If you are gonna upgrade to Ivy Bridge then by then more efficient GPUs based on 28nm would be here.

So i would suggest a upgrade to Sapphire HD6850 1GB GDDR5 ~ 9.5k now and later when needed, upgrading the GPU too along with CPU+Mobo after selling the HD6850.

With a stock C2D anything over a 4850/4870 is a waste, it can't even use a 4850 fully. To fully use a 48xx series card you need a C2Q @ 4GHz. After that the card might help more!

^^

Dude best path for you is holding your horses and doing a collective system upgrade, the collateral on your wallet will be evenly spread on a full RIG-up and you'll not need to Over-Clock anything and still you'll get excellent performance.

I could achieve a stable OC of 3.2GHZ with stock cooler.

Are you a certified pyrotechnic or do you randomly like burning your system Core2 Duo Over-Clock on a stock HSF package HA... HAHA... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... :facepalm:. Wait for Ivy-Bridge and BullDozer to come out from their stables and then do a collective upgrade.

facepalm :p . I very much needed it.

I'm having hallucination / dreams of GPU's PSU sandy and cases etc .

C2D black ops was a major hick up until then everything seemed to be good. Atleast i need a GPU to run crysis2, I'm so upset for being so poor :help2: . GPU madness

I am on an E8400.

I went from a 4870 1GB to 6950 2GB when I got my new monitor.

I am playing through Crysis 1 right now at all settings Very High at 2560x1600 resolution. My 4870 struggled at that resolution. (I also saw a large improvement in Medal of Honor and PES 2011)

I plan to move to Ivy Bridge/Bulldozer. Maybe get another 6950 next year if the system starts struggling. The 6xxx series CF is supposed to scale very well.

whatsinaname said:
I am on an E8400.

I went from a 4870 1GB to 6950 2GB when I got my new monitor.

I am playing through Crysis 1 right now at all settings Very High at 2560x1600 resolution. My 4870 struggled at that resolution. (I also saw a large improvement in Medal of Honor and PES 2011)

I plan to move to Ivy Bridge/Bulldozer. Maybe get another 6950 next year if the system starts struggling. The 6xxx series CF is supposed to scale very well.

Good to hear that.Congrats.

what's your PSU and monitor?

@OP

I will prefer the highest affordable GC with a Decent Power Supply .. I Will recommend Corsair-Seasonic >450W..

Since you are upgrading soon so get best GC n PSU at your budget... As you wont keep on upgrading right?

Good GC can play Crysis 2 well enough but on CPU intensive task/game you will get lag due to the fact that the CPU bottleneck.

thunder.dragon said:
@OP
As you wont keep on upgrading right?

that's right.

will work out a my upgrading starting with PSU and mobo+cpu+ram and workout towards GPU. till then :frusty: .

Back