Monitors HDMI query on new monitor. No hdmi sound.

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Finally bought Dell S2240L.

Pretty delighted and impressed with its ips panel, overall looks, thin bezel, and excellent pictures quality. :photogenic:Esp. got for pretty cheap price. :)

Now the main query.

I tried connecting my Tata HD set top box and pigged in my 2.1 speakers and wow it worked supercool!!:cool:
Fine..

Then tried my gpu 9800gt hdmi and yes that worked too but just the display part. But no voice from my speaker. Did no. of settings in Sounds (control panel) but nothing worked. :(

There are all confusing theories regarding the same on Google hence asking a proper resolution.:eek:

What do I need to do to get audio from my hdmi or monitors 3.5mm jack the same way sound comes along with video from set topbox???

You will have to connect your graphic card ( S/PDIF in white port on the PCB with 2/3/4 pins ) with your motherboard ( S/PDIF out 4 pin on PCB) with a wired cable to have audio on your display. Then go to control panel-sound-playback- set digital audio(S/PDIF) on default.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2593

--
S/PDIF audio pass-through from your onboard or external sound card to an S/PDIF input on your graphics card which is sent along the HDMI cable. Some onboard or add-in sound cards, in addition to providing analog audio output, also feature a digital S/PDIF audio output. The advantage of S/PDIF over analog audio is that since it is a digital audio signal, the sound quality is much cleaner. S/PDIF also can carry compressed multi-channel audio such as Dolby Digital or DTS. If your graphics card is based on a GeForce 9 series, GeForce 100 series or GeForce 200 series (with exception of the GeForce G210, GeForce GT220 or GeForce GT240), it will likely have an internal two-pin S/PDIF input which can connect to your PC's internal S/PDIF output through a custom internal S/PDIF cable. If the graphics card receives a S/PDIF audio signal, the graphics card will pass the audio directly through the HDMI cable to your HDTV. For information on how to connect an S/PDIF cable from your sound controller to your graphics card, please click here

--

Cable is no longer available in the market, old card you see. Antique even. So do this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/441176/g...hdmi-now-including-creative-cards#post5305349

Else, switch to a new gen cheaper card that will give you better performance at lower power consumption.

Thanks I have already referred to those links prior opening this thread. But thought there may be even more ways to try..
My card just got hdmi and vga at rear.
Have to look on its pcb for SPDIF pin.

My mobo had one onboard at backpanel but will that help?

Thanks I have already referred to those links prior opening this thread. But thought there may be even more ways to try..
My card just got hdmi and vga at rear.
Have to look on its pcb for SPDIF pin.

My mobo had one onboard at backpanel but will that help?
Backpanel SPDIF - you will need to make a cable yourself then, using a SPDIF plug. If you have optical out, then forget all this. Just buy a new cheap gfx car. GT210 even.

I am assuming this is required only for the older cards which may not have the ability to double as audio devices?

I have an LED TV connected through HDMI from my graphics card and all the need to do to get audio playback through HDMI is to select it as the default sound playback device in windows.

Ok so I was about to try for HDMI SPDIF from mobo to gfx card.
88351521_XFX_8800GT.jpeg
The red one is gfx cards spdif.

upload_2015-3-13_22-49-14.png
This is SPDIF on my mobo.

Now I know that only SPDIF & GND pins are useful in this scenario.
But main problem which mobos spdif pin goes to which pin in gfx card spdif connector???? :confused:
I dont want to mess with gfx card and conk it off!!!:drowning:

Got some references from net but still unsure:--

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/arti...nector-available-on-geforce-video-cards/600/2

Last edited:
Yes its SPDIF.
No manual for gfx card so unable to judge which pin goes into what. And dont get surprised by no. of pins, it can be 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 depending on mobo and how old it is.

Last edited:
I don't exactly have the proper fitting pins for both ends but managed to do some DIY jugaad. Online shops got those perfect fitting cables for this setup but wont waste upto 500bucks on that.

Now its all working gr8 but the hdmi is sounding 5% less at same speaker levels compared to normal stereo. Dont know why so.

Also SPDIF is disabled in volume controller which is 10% less than full!

Back