Video HDTV purchase from Bangkok

I am planning to get some stuff from Bangkok through a friend. The top of the list is: LED TV. Any suggestion guys? Budget is arnd 20/25k. Something which will be cheap compared to India.

Btw, how is customs in Bangkok and what all steps need to be taken while getting stuff from there?

Re: LED from Bangkok

Well,Bangkok is way cheaper than India for TVs. You may check Thailand Samsung or LG website, it will give you approx idea of the price. You may ask your friend to try Pantip plaza, Indra market, fortune or 3c store for best price. Your concern should not be Bangkok custom but Indian custom. In Thailand there is VAt return on many items which you can claim at airport at time of departure. There should not be any hassle there.

But once you reach India, custom people here will be eagerly waiting. They known most of the people who go to Thailand purchase LEDs etc.

I am also planning to go to Thailand somewhere next year. Can you please ask your friend to check for the dealer price of following models in Thailand. It will help me in comparing it with local gray market price :

1) LG: 42lw5700 and 47lw5700

2) Samsung: 42" and 46" series 6 and 7 price

Re: LED TV from Bangkok

Ah! My question was related to Indian customs. The reason being it will not only be the TVs but clothes too it seems clothes are sold very cheap.

I've heard somewhere that you can bring up to 32" LCD (not LED) without any issues. I may be wrong and welcome to be corrected.

^^ size should be 32'' , LED was not preferred because it used to exceed 25 K budget..but nowadays when these are also under 25 K....its not an issue....my friends have brought a lot

From my expereince, even though when i brought it from singapore it costed me only 22k, these customs said they have to deduct the price from local one and still charged me. I argued but they dont listen. So beware. If they see TV thats it, they are like vultures waiting to charge you.. For me it happened in hyd around 6 months back.

cri_sss said:
From my expereince, even though when i brought it from singapore it costed me only 22k, these customs said they have to deduct the price from local one and still charged me. I argued but they dont listen. So beware. If they see TV thats it, they are like vultures waiting to charge you.. For me it happened in hyd around 6 months back.

In Delhi, there is no problem as such and they ask for the bill from that country and convert the amount in INR. One of the project in our company belongs to Indonesia and almost 3-4 people are on the tour every month :)

I bought a 40" LED Sony Ex72 for 30,000 THB in Indra Market, Bangkok. Its like Rs.45,000 + Rs.7000 duty in India. If you see the models below Rs.25,000... price difference is not much and you can go for an Indian buy with warranty... only for high end TVs it will be worth it. For example, the TV I bought is Rs. 84,000 in India.

You will get a tax refund from the airport while leaving. The seller will assist you regarding that.

For Sony TVs, they will register online with your passport for intl. warranty. For samsungs, they will give a warranty card.

Customs levy 36.05 % on value excess of 25K Rs .....getting a 40 Inch and above is worth buying from Bangkok as price difference is vast comparing with official Indian price of retailers.

So if LCD/LED from Bangkok cost's some one 40K Rs then the buyer need to pay 36.05% on (40K-25K Rs = 15K Rs ) and not one full price of 40K Rs.

I will advice buyers to go for Sony 46 Inch for LCD's and 40 Inch for LED's as they cost more in India......Custom duty wont be much considering price difference along with International Warranty.

Tip for buyers with luggage -Take a cab from Airport for 30 minute ride and land near Sukhumvit or Silom to shop( Malls are spread over very vast area so have ample time and courage to carry luggage ).Having spare day will be awesome as you wont need to do last minute panic buying and to dump yourself along with luggage,Book a cheap hotel or lodge ( Anything in range of 500-800 THB should be fine ).
Sony 40EX520 sells like Hot Cake in Bangkok and sellers provide some sweet deals over there....point to be taken for buying TV from Bangkok is that you should have atleast 5 hours to visit different shops/malls beside a bare minimum 4 hours for VAT collection as lines are big and its almost holiday season(X-mass)....buying from Bangkok is very time consuming if you don't know what you are looking for( Don't fall for catchy price tags on older models ) but buyer wont regret buying from there.

I got 3 Sets from Bangkok in time of mad flood's in two different visit's....2 Sony 46EX520 and Samsung UA46D5500.

matoind said:
Hasn't the rupee depreciation made TV from Bangkok less attractive at least in smaller sizes?

Rupee has depreciated against Dollar as much as Thai Bhat has......so its more or else same with some exchange premium paid on Thai Bhat.

Still that leaves 25-30% savings on TV from Bangkok.

My cousin lives there, and when the LCD TVs are around 30k for a 21" or more, her husband bought a 32" full HD Sony LCD for 7k INR only. there is a sale hosted every year in the month of december, and there are killer deals

Back