Audio Headphone help - fixing broken 3.5mm jack?

Stronk

Adept
As attached in the pic, one of my sibling's AKG K92 3.5mm end broke due to bending it while removing it from their laptop -_-
Can I simply cut the last few cm of the cable and solder a new aux cable end to it?
Sorry if this comes off as a noob question, I have basic soldering skills but not sure if that would work here, and if fixing this is even worth considering in the first place. Though it still has about 4-5 months warranty left, don't want to go out and get it fixed/replaced for obvious reasons. It's been lying like this since a month, so wanted to see if I can fix it myself. Thanks for reading through.

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_190644.jpg
    IMG_20210418_190644.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
You need to replace the whole plug and solder the wires to the new plug. Just check which kind of plug the headphone had - TRS or TRRS and you will find a youtube video explaining how to replace one.

You need to replace the whole plug and solder the wires to the new plug.
Thank you for replying! So if I understand this correctly, if I just replace the plug with another one from, say, an aux cable, it should work as before, right?
Edit: Figured out that it's a TRS connector since no mic or inline controls, plus only 2 circles on the jack

Last edited:
Get a good MX 3.5mm jack. I paid about 100rs for one with gold plating.

Ask any local electrician to solder the new connector to the headphones and you're all set.

Is MX a brand or some specific type of cable? Sorry if my questions come off as stupid, not very aware of this market. Also going out is an absolute no-go, would appreciate some links for the specific jack you mentioned (if possible), otherwise I have a boat aux cable which I plan to sacrifice in order to revive these cans. I can solder on my own, that's not an issue. I'm a bit worried about insulation but yt guides will help me I hope. Thanks for replying!

Is MX a brand or some specific type of cable? Sorry if my questions come off as stupid, not very aware of this market. Also going out is an absolute no-go, would appreciate some links for the specific jack you mentioned (if possible), otherwise I have a boat aux cable which I plan to sacrifice in order to revive these cans. I can solder on my own, that's not an issue. I'm a bit worried about insulation but yt guides will help me I hope. Thanks for replying!
MX is a brand that makes decent connectors. I have these jacks and very happy with them. You can lookup address of shops that sell MX in your town/city from the below site and buy in person. The prices will be cheaper than on the site

MX is a brand that makes decent connectors. I have these jacks and very happy with them. You can lookup address of shops that sell MX in your town/city from the below site and buy in person. The prices will be cheaper than on the site

Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't prefer to step out of the house if I can help it, especially looking at the cases Maharashtra (there are about 20 covid cases in my building alone, even stairs and elevators are probably not safe :/).
So my question is: have you tried ordering from the website, and if so, would you recommend it? THe same MX brand stuff is quite a bit pricier on Amazon and fk, would prefer to get it from the MDR Electronics website you shared but no clue if it's actually functional since it seems to be stuck in late 2000s era :p

Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't prefer to step out of the house if I can help it, especially looking at the cases Maharashtra (there are about 20 covid cases in my building alone, even stairs and elevators are probably not safe :/).
So my question is: have you tried ordering from the website, and if so, would you recommend it? THe same MX brand stuff is quite a bit pricier on Amazon and fk, would prefer to get it from the MDR Electronics website you shared but no clue if it's actually functional since it seems to be stuck in late 2000s era :p
Yes you can order from that site. MDR Electronics is MX themselves

Back