Audio Headphone or IEM? 100-150$

Hey all,
Back again for suggestions on new headgear. Sadly my NuForce NE700x got busted and has been sent for RMA. I loved the sound signature on it but after listening to the normal earphones provided along with the Cowon J3, I noticed that the Nuforce lacked that clarity and wideness.
Now I don't think I'll continue with the ne700x after it gets back. I'm thinking whether to shift to headphones or continue with other IEMs. I do a lot of travelling through bus every weekend. Other than that, I listen to audio in my room, so bulkiness isn't much of a problem there. So headphones or iems?

My requirements-
Clarity(That wideness - Umm.. Soundstage?)
Not blaring highs like the MeElec M6.
Good mids.
Thumping bass(Should be shaking me)

My source- Cowon J3 - no amps
Budget- 100-150$ max. But just in case, also gimme some options within 200$ if I can procure some more cash.

PS- Any idea how much I could sell my NuForce ne700x for? I'm sure I'll get a brand new and sealed pack after RMA with 8 more months warranty left. I also checked eBay india and some Indian shops are importing it for 5.1k.

Soundstage and bass seem to be connected in that wider soundstage usually equates to low bass and vice versa. I've not heard it but in your budget the option that best matches your requirements as far as headphones go is the Ath-m50. The denon d1001 on sale atm might be something you could look into as well though the opinions on it seem to be mixed. Alternatively you could stick with the ne700x for commuting and use an open headphone at home.

imo the ne700x is slightly but conclusively better in sq compared to the M2 so that in terms of value I'd say it is worth the price of ~3k new but since your's is rmaed ~2.5k is probably what you could sell it for.

chiron said:
Soundstage and bass seem to be connected in that wider soundstage usually equates to low bass and vice versa

Not really! Among the IEMs I've heard, FX700, Eterna, TF10 - all have good bass quantity but with wide / large sound stage (though TF10 is perceived to be more deeper than wider).

@OP,

I have not heard these myself, but from what I've read -

Monster Turbine Pro Gold ($279 on Amazon, but used to be around $200 not long ago) - Monster® Turbine™ Pro Gold Audiophile In-Ear Speakers™

Atrio MG7 - Future Sonics Atrio NEW Style MG7 Driver 4 color choice | eBay

seem to fit your budget and requirements to an extent.

m50 if you plan to use them at home. I find them a little bulky. But they're awesome otherwise.

I wouldn't think a headphone would be good while travelling. (looks odd to wear those cans while moving in a public transport :) )

I don't worry much about the appearance in the bus as I sit down most of the time.
One more question. How's the isolation on the M50? Do headphones give enough isolation while travelling?

Well the kind of heat and humidity in India, I would never wear a headphone outside. IEMs is the way to go if you want to wear something outside. The m50's are comfy and provide a good sound isolation. The cowon J3 should be able to drive it to a good volume level, which is if you decide to go the Headphone way in the first place.

If you decide to go for an IEM, UE TF10's are the way to go. You can get it from Amazon. :)

Do consider your ears as well. Been using IEM's for a while listen at a rather moderate levels , but my hearing levels have dropped quite a bit :/

Unless you are a regular traveller and listen to music or watch movies more often on your pmp , i would say go for the M50 .

It's mainly for music on the pmp along with usage with pc during night. Plenty of movies and sitcoms to watch on it along with games. Portability factor not an issue.
So I guess the M50 gives a wider experience eh?

Buddy i have been using M50 for approx month

and they Sound awesome for the price

i Actually want to write a review here but i am on lot of travel.but i am sure i will make it this week end

They isolation level is good once its 60% or more on the music bar <with reference to ipod> i generally don't hear any sounds even on the move (like on the bus which i have been doing a lot this month ) but may be u have to raise the vol. bar to 75% or above.

it true that it catches sweat easily on a sunny day.

But as being portable i dnt this it too bulk it can be folded to carry in a given carrycase<it is provided in the box> may be i catches attention but i dnt care

let it be a showoff after all u dnt pour 7000 odd bucks on headphone every now and then

on pc try to use foobar with WASAPI output enabled

As far as music is concerned its the best one for the price

i mostly listen to the following:

Stereolab

Liquid Tension Experiment

Ali & Toumani

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Ar Rehaman

Kathy Perry

Lady Gaga

Beyonce

Rihanna