OC & Modding Heatspreaders: What difference do they make?

dipdude

Skilled
Source : Hexus

For the last few years, RAM, particularly that at the enthusiast end of the spectrum, has featured heat spreaders. The question being posed by many is whether they actually do anything.

One probably should wonder whether a heatspreader makes a RAM module any cooler, and if it does, what good does that do? How does a heatspreader affect the overclocking capabilities of a module. This is something which Corsair has recently investigated, and they have just provided us with the results of their testing.

Corsair's tests, which were internal, involved taking a RAM module purchased online, in this case an OCZ 512MiB PC3500 BH-5 based module, with a 'gold' XTC heatspreader, and testing it with the original heatspreader, two of their own, and no heatspreader whatsoever. Using a DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D motherboard and Athlon 64 X2 3800+ with a lowered multiplier, they tested the module with the heatspreaders to find the highest stable overclock in each state.

OCZ's XTC heatspreader is a mesh style spreader with a honeycomb of holes, whereas Corsair have two types, a stamped aluminium spreader and a cast aluminium spreader. So what did Corsair find?

Firstly, without a heatspreader, they couldn't get past 250MHz. With the XTC heatspreader and their stamped spreader, they could get another 3MHz higher; 253MHz. Finally, with the cast aluminium spreader, 254MHz was achieved.

Now, first of all, the difference between these overclocks is hardly significant. So perhaps one thing we'd take from this is that heatspreaders make some difference, but not that much, really. Secondly, OCZ's XTC spreader performs the same as Corsair's 'solid' heatspreader, and of course Corsair seem to have a spreader that in their tests outperforms the XTC.
The writeup documenting the tests has the following conclusion:

It was clear from the tests that the use of a heat spreader on the module increases overclockability in all cases. The XMS Pro provided the highest overclock; we believe this is due to the increased surface area provided by its increased size and ridged design. The Mesh heatspreader and the stock Corsair XMS Platinum heatspreader performed identically. One can conjecture that the additional surface area provided by the mesh approximately compensates for the reduction of the mass of the heat spreader.​

One thing Corsair failed to provide was temperature readings. It would be interesting to see how hot the modules get with the different RAM spreaders. Also, how do heatspreaders affect lifespan? Perhaps heatspreaders are more important for letting a module run for longer at a higher voltage and clock rate.

maybe some time after the DDR3 will come with proper fan and heatsink ..... damn another fan in the case ....

Source : Inquirer

The CEO of Asetek, the company that dedicated its life to cooling confirmed the same thing as he said that even if you use LN2 to cool your memory you won't get more than 10 per cent of overclockability. Andre S Eriksen told us that the heat spreads are more a design thing then functionality but everyone is convinced that they are doing a great job. Believe me this guy really knows what he is talking when it comes to cooling.

Once you remove the heat spreaders on both Corsair's and OCZs memory modules you will barely hurt your memory performance and its overclockability. According to the companies tests, Corsair XMS PRO with cast aluminium heath spreader can maximally overclock to 254 MHz. A Corsair XMS stamped aluminium heat spreader will overclock to 253 MHz PCB while OCZ "XTC" with its innovative mesh heat spreader overclocks to 253 MHz as well. If you don’t use any heat spreader you will be able to overclock the same modules to 250 MHz. So you cannot say that heat spread modules are 100 per cent inefficient but they are really not doing as much as you would hope for. Those nice heat spreads will help you reach those three to four MHz more.

It is all about cherry picked memory chips, as the chips will let you overclock to desired speeds and the heat spreads will mainly help you to recognise good and expensive memory.

Yup they look cool and uber with those fancy LED's and stuff.

Though I agree that heatspreaders may not make that much of a difference I'd prefer having them on when I'm gonna feed 3.8v in my memory ;)

Metallic heat spreaders are there to protect the ic's from static damage due to user mishandling. this saves the co's of RMA costs.
Their heat dissipating capacity is very limited and infact if the heat spreaders are not attached tightly and properly they would trap more heat rather than dissipate it.
Only if you are feeding abnormally high Vdimm to the rams will they get hot in the first place like for e.g. 3.3V or higher. heat spreaders are useful if you are pumping very high vdimms to the memory ic's.
as a matter of protection and "safe user practises" i normally put the heat spreaders on all the rams that i use.
They are very cheap and i see no harmful effects ....

Hell, if deejay won't agree with dab, let me... right on dab - heatspreaders are used only to make boring RAM sticks look cool, or who would spend $200 on a kit that looked like any other? :D

Well, i agree with every1 above. Heatspreaders barely make a difference. Plus the only look cool. Id prefer having RAM with HS' rather than without em.

RiO said:
Hell, if deejay won't agree with dab, let me... right on dab - heatspreaders are used only to make boring RAM sticks look cool, or who would spend $200 on a kit that looked like any other? :D

what is there of significance to agree or disagree with dab ?? and what are you implying by the above sentence ? why are you bent upon creating unnecessary bad blood.?what is ur hidden agenda ??:bleh:

Back