Heavy Duty Android phone within 17-18k

mitraark

Adept
Hello everyone ,

i have been thinking of getting an Android for quite some time , but decided to wait till June for all the new phones to release. I will be buying a phone at the end of the next month. My budget is 17k ( streched from 15k , please do not suggest to extend more T_T )

1. Q: Budget?

A: 17k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?

A: I really don't know the difference between AMOLED and S-LCD and all the terms used by various companies , screen is really important for me , i would like to have the screen best for watching videos.

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: Would like to stick to the more conventional brands , Sony , HTC , Samsung ( although people seems to tell me they are crap ) . NO to Micromax , Karbonn , even LAVA

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?

A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Not much important , but the camera should be satisfactory or better .

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

A: Android.

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).

A: The more the merrier :) 3G and Wi Fi among the obvious , i have heard about Wi Fi tethering , i'd like to have that , does it count as one of the options ?

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?

A: Videos , Applications , Internet , Games , Camera .. in that order.

10. Q: Any other requirements?

A: Rugged phone. Not like DEFY+ , but i don't care about the looks or size of the phone , more than willing to buy a brick ( what people used to call Nokia earlier )

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.

A: Xperia Sola

Other Options ( Disadvantages )

HTC One V ( Very thin , no removable battery , ICS not an advantage for me , will us an ICS Mod anyways )
Xperia U ( 4 GB )
Ace 2 ( Samsung is not good ? )
Incredible S ( 20+k , Old Model ? )
Neo V ( My previous pick , hoped to pick it up at 14-15 k after new models launched , but seems overpriced now at 17k )

When i say Heavy Duty , i mean a phone which will go down well with extensive tinkering , i tend to install excessive amounts of Apps , i will surely go on to mod the phone , that which voids the warranty ( sorry i am not much acquainted with Android as of now , have been using Symbian ( N73 ME ) for the last 5 years , have installed more than 200 apps on it in that period :D )

I will not buy from E-Bay.

Htc Neo V is definirely a good buy compared to the neo v in my opinon.
If you could push your budget have a look at Sony xperia Sola as well... the hardware is impressive but comes with 1320mah battery. The chip onboard is supposed to be power efficient.
If you could wait it out for some reviews, then probably you'd know better about this phone as well

I am inclined towards Xperia Sola at the moment , still , non removable battery ( a user had to wait for the complete battey to drain after his phone had freezed T_T ) , unimpresive performance of the Mali 400 ... still a few doubts :(

Don't worry about removable battery so much.. It would have been nice to have, but it is no deal breaker.. Go for Sola.. It is Dual core with great performance for the price.. It looks great too.. You might have checked GSMArena Review..

One V has old single core processor.. Sola will be more future proof.. And it is better than One V in almost all the aspects apart from metal body.. Read the reviews..
Don't buy Neo V.. Sola is way better than Neo V.. Also my friend's Neo V has become slow after ICS update.. :scared14: It lags a lot now.. Was perfectly fine in Gingerbread.. If you check it on net, many users are having the same problem..

If you can live with only 6 GB of storage (2GB for apps, 4GB for Multimedia), buy Xperia U. It is basically Sola without memory card slot.

Ace 2 will be good too I guess.. But it is not available yet in India.. So if you are ready to wait, you can compare both Ace 2 and Sola and proceed.. By then Sola would have shed some price tag too..

Many of my friends have Samsung phones and nobody has had any problem till now.. I don't know who told you they are crap.. Of course build quality wont be as good as HTC, but it is not bad at all..

If you are going to buy right away though, Sola is available at 18.5k in Homeshop18.. Just apply the coupon they have mentioned.. It is a reliable site..
Or you can try buying through ngpay too.. Have heard they have 10 percent cashback offer.. Check it once..

Can anyone comment on how Incredibe S would fare againts the Sola ? Also, how much will HTC Sensation cost ? Is it worth the leap ?

Incredible S other then the slightly bigger screen and the 8 MP cam (which is BTW inferior to 5 MP in One V) is almost same as One V.
Sola atleast specwise is better then both HTC one V and Incredible S.
When You are considering Sola vs One V , remember that Htc have always charged a premium for their newer phones and also you are paying for the fantastic build quality and design. Still to my eyes the magenta Sola looks fabulous.
Avoid the sensation. It was a bad enough phone at launch, and just because it is cheaper now does not make sense going for it. a new sensation will cost around 22-24k. IMho at that price a better option might be samsung Galaxy advance or even Sony P.

Motorola Defy XT
Motorola DEFY XT535 - Full phone specifications

Available on ebay @ 15k. Has got Front camera, Supports Adobe Flash, Corning Gorilla Glass, Dust and Waterproof!!

This phone comes with MSM7227 (galaxy ace,wildfire s, htc explorer)processor overclocked to 1 Ghz and the Gpu is Adreno 200. Not worth buying when Defy plus with much better processor and more custom roms is available at the same or lesser prices.

Details from the motodev site

MOTODEV > Products > DEFYâ„¢ XT XT535

Back