PC Peripherals Help - 4 x 1GB Ram set up -- booting problems.

shashank_r_t

Disciple
Hi All,

Today I got additional 2 x 1 GB sticks (Transcend Jetram) and hence have upgraded from 2 to 4 GB ram.

However I am facing issues booting up the machine if all the 4 sticks are loaded.
Sometimes the PC just doesnt boot.. and if it even boots it does not pass the bios loading stage (OS starts loading and hangs)

Following things I have tried:
1. Tried with the new only and old only sticks (Both winxp and Vista 32 bit work fine)
2. Tested all the 4 slots.. both MOBO and Rams does not seem to have any issues..

I suspect it may be the PSU.. as when I disconnected the extras cabinet fans.. the pc atleast started. (If i connect fans then it does not even boot with 4 sticks.. but works fine with 2 sticks)

If 4 sticks are loaded.. OS gives errors like NTLDR missing or Winload.exe missing..

Any suggestions?? Following is the config..

E6750 @ stock (2.66GHz)
4x1GB Transcend Jet Ram (667 mhz - All are similar model and same frequency)
ASUS P5B
80Gb Seagate HDD
250Gb Western Digital HDD
4 system fans
Palit 7600 GT
Sony DRU 820 DVD writer and Samsung DVD ROM
Pinnacle Tv Tuner 110i (internal)

Thanks...
Shashank

If u are able to boot into Windows after removing the fans, its the power supply dat's causing the problem.
Try to load default settings for every component rather than overclocked to see if it is a problem with overclocking. If yes, try to raise the voltage a bit and u should be fine.
Else, if still u fail to boot into windows, it probably needs a BIOS upgrade to go through that problem with mobos not starting with 4GB RAM. A BIOS update should resolve ur problem for sure if all else fails. :)

32 bit OS can address max 3.2GB of RAM, maybe that could be the reason for failure in your case

Also try /MAXMEM=4096 switch in boot.ini

Best option would be to switch to a 64bit OS

EDIT: Which PSU do you have?

Hi H20/Abhi/Rock_ya...

Thanks for the reply... well..

Heres the thing.. the PC does boot.. with 4GB ram.. but once in 10 times.. :mad:

Also wen it does boot.. the ram are underclocked to 266mhz (552 mhz) and hence my proccy is underclocked too...

4Gb Ram

2Gb RAm -- overclocked

Apparently.. my PSU which is Powersafe 450W gold is not able to power all the 4 slots and hence the rams are underclocked..

Help... is this the PSU or the mobo..or what??

I'd assembled a rig for a friend with an Asus P5N32-E SLI board, it had the same problem with 4 sticks of 800mhz jetram.. so increased the voltage by a notch, it worked.. n also tried reducing the frequency to 667MHz, both methods worked, you should try the same...

Back