help buying my first a/c.....

cooler2005

Disciple
Hi guys!

i plan to buy an A/c for my room which is around 14x10 (lxb) . The A/c usage would be around 8 hrs everyday. I've looked at Lg, samsung, voltas, carrier, whirlpool but cannot decide . I believe lg and samsung are the only ones that are decent in this category and within my budget, it's strictly around 15-16K, but can further exceed a bit if there's some product worth the money.

And..oh ya! i'm from delhi...

plz let me know which A/c should I go for as it's my first a/c ever and i want to invest in the best and affordable product.

Window or Split should be your first filter.

Next comes star rating. Higher the better. But higher rating also means more expensive.

My experience says that LG and Samsung are good because they fall in the budget category.

In the VFM category, Voltas Vertis rules the roost. Very efficient, high cooling and good after sales service.

Carrier, Daikin, Bluestar are good - but be prepared for higher initial outlay and expensive (and in some cases horrendous) after sales service.

I wouldnt touch OGeneral and Lloyds with a bargepole.

I've heard that Hitachi ACs are pretty good. Have had bad experiences with Samsung and Voltas (both requiring much service / repairs after 1 year). The LG ACs in my previous office seems to be fine too.

^^ +1 for hitachi but its around 24. I can tell you one thing though negative. DO NOT buy Videocon, not because my AC was bad but because there service dept is deaf. No body reply to your mail (in Ist week of purchase). I was lucky as my dealer was gr8 and got me replacement.

nishantgandhi said:
Window or Split should be your first filter.

Next comes star rating. Higher the better. But higher rating also means more expensive.

My experience says that LG and Samsung are good because they fall in the budget category.

In the VFM category, Voltas Vertis rules the roost. Very efficient, high cooling and good after sales service.

Carrier, Daikin, Bluestar are good - but be prepared for higher initial outlay and expensive (and in some cases horrendous) after sales service.

I wouldnt touch OGeneral and Lloyds with a bargepole.
Hi..Thanks for replying...

It would be a window a/c. I'm not very sure of the ratings. I went to a couple of dealers in my area. i asked for value efficiency, they said the 2 star a/c will cost me more and save me a little more than the 1 star a/c annually, a couple of 100 bucks he said.

I've has problems with LG customer service in my area so i would stick to samsung in budget category as i own a samsung product and service is really good.

Now, comes the voltas, not heard much about them, they are indeed popular in .75 tonn category. i maybe wrong but not sure of their after-sales service. plus it's a little out of my budget as well.

carrier, diakin, bluestar are again out of my budget.

samsung 1.5 tonn seems good to go i believe? any idea of it's price in ex-delhi showrooms?? would i get a cheaper deal from showrooms or the dealers in my area?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

kreacher said:
I've heard that Hitachi ACs are pretty good. Have had bad experiences with Samsung and Voltas (both requiring much service / repairs after 1 year). The LG ACs in my previous office seems to be fine too.
hitachi is way out of my budget :)...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ok..one more thing i should tell you is, our area is besides a canals (naala) which fumes out some dangerous gases which results in gas leakage very often in our a/c..we have to get the gas filed every year.. this happens with everybody in our area. so keeping that in mind, should i still go with samsung? i know lg,bluestar,samsung voltas go through the same problem every year...

Give a thought to Godrej. I had bad experiences with the budget airconditioners like samsung, for ex my 1 ton ac window has been having a lot of leakage problems. Now here in mumbai I have had issues with national, samsung and voltas. My main query was gas leakage and not star rating. My dealer recommended Godrej.

Now I have a comprehensive contract with the same dealer so I suppose he will recommend an ac that does not leak. ( hope so)

you should see the internal parts and you will get a fair idea of the quality. I have been using my Godrej for about 5 months and no issue, but once again its too early to say. Initial opinion good and solid. I was basically impressed with the build quality.

1Week back I got the delivery of my 2 AC's for Home use.

1. Samsung 1.0Ton Window AC - 2 Star (Eff: 2.64) - Cools my Bedroom Sufficiently and faster, When going to sleep can define Biosleep (8hrs), Smart Saver (Saves Electricity) and Customer Off Timer (Can be combined with Smart Saver). Area: 100 sq. Feet, Bought for Rs14500/- (Free Installation) - Size 22X16 Frame Size.

2. Electrolux 1.0Ton Split A/C - New Model with Display - 3Star (Eff: 2.84) - No Power Saving Option but cools my Hall Rapidly, has Turbo Mode Also. Bought for Rs16250. Installation: Rs1500 Standard installation includes 10feet Copper Pipe. I didn't Buy External Unit Stand which was included in the Installation hence Saved Rs620/- from Installation Cost.

shahbaaz_vision said:
1Week back I got the delivery of my 2 AC's for Home use.

1. Samsung 1.0Ton Window AC - 2 Star (Eff: 2.64) - Cools my Bedroom Sufficiently and faster, When going to sleep can define Biosleep (8hrs), Smart Saver (Saves Electricity) and Customer Off Timer (Can be combined with Smart Saver). Area: 100 sq. Feet, Bought for Rs14500/- (Free Installation) - Size 22X16 Frame Size.

2. Electrolux 1.0Ton Split A/C - New Model with Display - 3Star (Eff: 2.84) - No Power Saving Option but cools my Hall Rapidly, has Turbo Mode Also. Bought for Rs16250. Installation: Rs1500 Standard installation includes 10feet Copper Pipe. I didn't Buy External Unit Stand which was included in the Installation hence Saved Rs620/- from Installation Cost.
I bought Samsung this summer and was impressed by its looks and cooling.. Thought it was a good buy and aggresively recommended it in Techenclave. But, 2 months down the line with very minimum usage, thanks to my family going on a holiday, the indoor unit of Samsung is giving issues.

- The digital display isnt working properly. Some of the lines arent working

- The swing option has konked. its not swinging anymore. And guess what... when I switch on the Ac, it gives that music and thats it... the shutter doesnt open up and I have to manually open it with my hands.

I called the technician and he is coming over the weekend.

BUT... I am reaally disappointed. I shuld have bought the hitachi ot the Carrier. Even if its extra cost, it doesnt piss u off after a few months.

SAmsung has all the shit marketing crap to go with it... Biosleep, smartsaver are of no practical significane if u ask me. I used those options only a couple of times. What u need is a reliable unit which does the basic job .

Many advised me against Samsung, but I stuck to my guns. Now, I repent.

My samsung has had 3 gas leaks in two years, the rear condenser has gone for a toss , a couple of days back. Not gonna repair just take a new ac.

I feel the issues with current low cost acs is shelf life ! I think we have to assume that the ac is good till it lasts, and no great hopes of longevity.

Look at Onida, Lloyd, Godreg & LG. Carrier A/C's are good but above 1.5 ton (suggest from technical person 2 yrs back)

Though I don't like LG as each & every product I & my friends bought from LG never ever served it's purpose up to mark no matter how good review they has.

Avoid Videocon as they fail to cool if temp. goes beyond 38-40, also service is very bad & accessories are very costly as just for Remote they ask Rs.1500/- (without warranty).

Recently passed by one school & big nursing home & find that school has 6 Godreg units (new) & nursing home has nearly 8-9 LG units (1-2 yrs old).

Godrej A/C's are purely chines product assembled in India.

Look at Onida if there is any service center near by your place.

Before decide on any brand visit your local or near by A/C repair center/shop (avoid authorized service centers) or technician & consult/discuss with them, they are best with latest knowledge of which brand doing well.

2 yrs back when I was on AC hunt, one local A/C repairing center guy suggest me "Fedders Lloyd" quoting it's good if you are near to sea shore cities (like mumbai) or near by heavy industrial area.

OP I don't think this is good time to buy AC & to check its performance if you are in area where rain is already arrived &/or temperature is down.

HTH

i am using voltas 2.0 T for past 4 yrs and i use it at-least 18hrs. daily without any complains

Back