Audio help buying new iem

BF1983 said:
They still sound pretty good but on switching to the Ibasso and volume matching I notice that imaging and soundstage width get noticeably better. These phones have the best imaging I have ever heard and frankly if you are losing that by running them unamped then you are losing out

Finally, it seems that you are beginning to like the 262s better (mission accomplished :p). Did you de-tune your iBasso from RE1 specific settings?

FaH33m said:
I tried them yesterday . Straight out of the Fuze they didnt sound all that great .My RE-252 sounds lot better than the 262 without an amp but when I tried it with Brendons P3+ and Nukey's Pico Slim , the midrange and sound stage bloomed ! The treble though is quiet rolled off . Also the 252s are much more neutral and balanced compared to 262 . The 262 has super smooth ,warm and slightly upfront midrange with laid-back treble. Would definitely consider them if I had an amp or would plan to buy one ever :p .

That's what I was looking forward to - a proper comparison between 252 and 262. I thought the treble in 262 was laid-back and recessed, but rolled-off too? Is it not even on the level of 252 (which is anyway < RE0)?

esanthosh said:
Finally, it seems that you are beginning to like the 262s better (mission accomplished :p). Did you de-tune your iBasso from RE1 specific settings?
It wasn't the amp dude. It was the type of seal I was getting. :ashamed:

The tips I used were from my first RE1s and they were a bit worn. The RE1 housings are very light and so I could get a seal much easier. The RE262s have a bit heavier housings and the old tips would not insert properly in my ear. I would get isolation but they were not properly directed inside my ears.

The result was that the midrange sounded a bit recessed and the imaging performance was diluted a bit.

I finally managed to achieve a seal only about a week back by chance and I immediately started using the new biflange tips that came with the RE262s. Now I can achieve a proper seal easily and really enjoy the sound. :)

^ Going by your proper fit issues, you are the right candidate for getting a 1964-T. Take one for the team once you're done with the proper headphone setup ;)

Edit: Found this interesting post in head-fi - will re 262 benefit from fiio E5 - Head-Fi.org Community (Proedros)

I have a pair of both RE-252 and RE-262

While the 262 sounds a bit uneven with the J3 imo and i end up using the 252 almos all the time , the synergy between the 262 and the clip+ is very nice.

Plus you don't need an amp for the 262/clip+ , unless you are deaf.

how 262 will sound when played direct from clip+

Anyone Recommend a Headsets for my Xpressmusic. I want it in less than 250. Should be Good for Metal music

^^ No offense to that guy, but he has no idea what he is talking about. :)

I actually tried the TPs directly from my Blackberry phone and frankly I had enough volume I would ever want (Faheem would find them too quiet though. :p ). Just because a headphone sounds loud enough does not mean its driven well.

But the sound was no where near to what they could sound when driven from the Compass amp. The difference is less noticeable with the RE262 but you are not listening to them at their best if you don't use an amplifier.

In fact just today morning my amps batteries went dead and I forgot my spares at home. :(

So I am forced to listen to them unamped today. And you know what ? All that fantastic imaging is all gone. Plus the transient response is also a bit slower and they don't sound as engaging when amped.

I dunno why but I somehow have come to like only high impedance stuff - HD650 (300 ohms), YH-100 orhtos (150 ohms), RE1 (150 ohms), RE262 (150 ohms) etc.

One issue with the M3s if he does buy them could be getting a good seal/fit due to the weird housing shape. I tried using a few tips at the meet on Sunday, but wasn't able to get a perfect seal/fit. But they do sound pretty great for the money, I'll admit.

Back