Storage Solutions Help! Hard Drive Cable Mount Broken!!!

IMG_20130216_173827.jpg Compare 2.jpg Compare.jpg

Hey my fellow TEers,

So today I was doing a daily clean up of my PC and like an idiot I yanked out the motherboard to hard drive cable with a little too much force. In the process the cable mount on the hard drive broke (see pic). Given a comparison image as well so that you guys can understand the problem.

Now I am unable to use my hard drive unless I keep the cable pressed in position to the hard drive.

I know its such a ridiculous problem but a big problem nevertheless because I cannot use my hard drive now.

Any solution will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have similar situation on my SSD :no2: but for SATA port and not for power port. What i did is that I inserted black part of port which have broken in to a one of cable and then used that cable to connect SSD and it is working perfectly. Presently writing this message from Desktop only.

Lol his is exactly what I've done. But I am looking for a more permanent solution. If the power cable gets a problem or if I have to use this same hard disk with another power supply I won't be able to do it.

If your SATA power port is broken, there's a very high chance of a loose cable shorting out the connectors and frying your disk. Try fevikwik for now but replace the drive ASAP :p

Its not loose right now because its exactly how it was when it was not broken. Only thing I can use it only with one of the power ports of my PSU.

Now I am unable to use my hard drive unless I keep the cable pressed in position to the hard drive.
Its not loose right now because its exactly how it was when it was not broken. Only thing I can use it only with one of the power ports of my PSU.
Which one is correct? (Or was the first post before you put the broken plastic bit into the PSU's power connector?)

In any case, the SATA power port is quite tricky, and there have been threads even here of people shorting their drives on a non-broken port. How long you would last on a broken port is anyone's guess. Instead of looking for a fix, I'd be backing up data and replacing it :)

P.s. Here's what happened to one guy trying the same thing as you :p : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/248705-14-broken-sata-power-connector-alternatives-data-recovery

^ no you can use that, i too had a similar situation, i soldered the sata power pins with a 4pin molex, Now its working fine :)

Back