Storage Solutions Help in deciding SSD, nvme Gen 4.

Dark Star

ex-Mod
Looking to buy 1 TB nvme m.2 ssd as my old 120GB ssd has started showing errors.

This will be a data drive, primarily for loading games, code, video editing and usual dumping.

My board doesn't support gen 4 ssd but I still want to invest in it for future upgrade purposes.

Needs -
1. Reliable and long lasting.
2. Higher life cycle usage.
3. Speed not the most important criteria.
4. Budget - 6k but can extend to ~9k for certain ssd

Some selected candidates.

1. WD 850X ( has inbuilt dram)
2. WD 770
3. Crucial 1TB P3+ (reviews are awful thought)

Which one should I get?

TIA

WDSN750, WDSN850 could be good choice, always prefer with DRAM.
Crucial is good if looking for lower-mid range... review if not from trusted source like techpowerup, mean nothing. just ensure the brand has after sales support, and you dont have to ship the drive to taiwan/china for RMA.

if not urgent requirement , keep a tab on this thread https://techenclave.com/threads/samsung-new-open-box-ssds.216270/

I would not recommend the crucial p3+, it has tbw rating of 220tb only. While the competition has 600 or more. I would suggest going with SN 770 or XPG S70 blade.
Or if you have the budget then the 850x or kc3000(on sale)

WD 770 / 580 should be good enough. DRAM does not matter as much as they work well in pc.
They might not be as good for external where DRAM might have more weight.

S70 blade has a reputation of being unreliable. I wont touch it.
Top end speeds generally make not much difference in day to day usage. Even slower ones are quite fast. Unless needed. i wouldn't pay extra for KC3000/850 or high end samsung.
Makes little difference for us. Even for copy paste, you would need both sides to be as fast to see sequential speeds.

Was tilting towards the adata s70 owing to the specs and price but was sceptical due to brand and reliablity. However, will give it a pass due to the feedback from you guys.

SN770 it is, will get it during prime sales.

Thanks a lot for the inputs.

won't recommend Adata itself to anyone in India, I got an SX 8200 Pro and that drive shit the bed in 2 years, tried to get it RMA'ed before I learned there are no official service centers in India and that I'll have to ship to Taiwan to get it RMA'ed. it's been a while so I don't know how much the situation is changed but it left a sour taste in my mouth

Back