PC Peripherals Help: Logitech MX518 or SteelSeries Ikari?

sz1266

Disciple
I play First Person Shooters mostly - TF2, UT3, CSS etc.

I am confused whether to go for Logitech MX518, a popular choice here or SteelSeries Ikari which many guys recommended it for it's superior tracking. What do you guys think? Does Ikari really have better tracking than MX518?

The other option I have is Razer Krait which has only 3 buttons but if its a great performer, then I may get it. My budget is 2000 rupees max. Which mouse do you all suggest?

BTW, I have a medium sized palm. I can grip a tennis ball/cricket ball comfortably. I am a right handed user. My current mouse is Microsoft wheel optical which is old and dying.

Thank You :)

with the budget you have, i dont think you will be able to get a ikari, ofcourse for FPS gaming, more buttons do come in handy, so I will suggest MX518...

I would have recomended the mx518 2years back , but not now. There are a lot of reasons

1. The Common cable / usb disconnection problem which 90 out of 100 people experience these days with the mx518 within 6months of usage..

2. The Common problem of left / right click button ....they get defective soon....when u press on it...it will give like 3-4 clicks...and then stop working for sometime...

The Quality of this mouse was great way back in 2006, but sad to say that its been pathetic since the last 2 years...almost 90 % of the ppl experience the above stated problem within 5-6months of usage of "CURRENT SERIES OF MX518"

Regardng the mice.... 1st have a look at these 4 mice...and make the decision on which SHAPE suits you the best...the shape and comfortability of "YOU" matters more than technical aspects of a mouse if you are really a competitive gamer, so that you wont regret abt the comfortability later.

1. Microsoft Intelli 3.0( the best mouse ever + very reliable- lasts long)-> you can get the best mouse in the world within your budget :p

2. Ikari optical ( great mouse, not every1 might get used to shape, no crappy drivers needed ) i think its around 2200rs via KMD

3. Deathadder ( decent mouse , but drivers are a big headache especially if u LAN a lot at different tournament venues every now and then )

4. Diamondback 3G ( same sensor as deathadder , great mouse , ideal for ppl who want light mouse ( weight) , drivers again a problem on LAN.

Thank you so much thebanik and xtr.pwnzor :) I love DA but it's clearly out of budget. I feel MS IE 3.0 got perfect shape after DA. Coming back to MX518, doesn't it have 3 year warranty...

OK here's why I am going for IE -

1. Great shape.

2. Great price.

3. Lesser prone to problems than MX518?

Thanks.

hmmm...completely forgot about the IE3.0, no doubt its better than MX518 just because of the problems 518 is having these days, and yes I have one MX with the same problem that pwnzor mentioned

IE 3.0 is good, also look at the HABU from MS designed by Razer.

PS- the SS Ikari is for $26 at Newegg, if u have contacts in the US!

Banik..im not saying mx518 is worse than 3.0...i used to use 518 for 2 years...its one of the best mice for gaming ever!!..and at a decent price too ..but i had to get it replaced 3 times, and i had no problems abt the shape of both mice.... I was very much comfortable with 518's shape , and then later i changed from 518 to 3.0..it dint take me more than 30mins to get used to shape of 3.0..it was that easy .

dude warranty is there ofc for 518...but the thing is...like if you are into frequent online gaming..like cs and tf2 a lot, and ur mouse gets this prob..it can be really frustrating...and it will take atleast 1-2 weeks for replacement...just imagine that much no of days....majority of the ppl would bother to buy a new mouse at that time, than wait for 2 weeks for replacement , isnt it better to get a problem free mouse for longtime than getting a mouse with so much problems every now and then.....just my opinion since i game a lot online

^^^copperhead's tracking is certainly better than MX518, but cant comment as compared to ikari, though ikari's tracking is said to be one of the best by our Indian pro gamers.....

MS IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0
MS IntelliMouse Optical 1.1A (Same mouse, ambidextrous shape. Managed to get one for myself recently after experimenting with a lot of unusual shapes.)

I am yet again confused. MS IE 3.0 has 450 DPI while MX518 has 1600 DPI. Does it mean MX518 is a better mouse than IE 3.0?

I know that most of my friends play with 800 DPI with MX518. Does it mean they have advantage over 400DPI mouse gamers?

OMAI GOD..dude DPI is a complete shit , its no big DEAL ......you just need to increase ur ingame sensitivity zzzzzz...like using 5.0 ingamesensitivity @ 400dpi wud be same as using 2.5 ingame sensitivity @ 800dpi , this is just an example , you dont need to get confused...just GO get an ie3.0 and be happy , or go get mx518 and prove your mind that 1800dpi , 800, and 400dpi matters a lot, and get it replaced every 5-6months

And when i had mx518..i used to play cs with ingame sensitivity at 3.0 @ 800dpi, 6/11 windows sensitivity , noforce commands

And when i switched to ms 3.0... i used to (and am still) play cs with ingame sensitivity @ 4.1 @ 450dpi, 6/11 windows sensitivity, noforce commands .

I find the 3.0way superior to 518 in every manner , and its more reliable, doesnt need replacement every now and then

Pls try to understand that im speaking the "truth" abt 518...coz i have had more than 3 replacements ..and the amount of days it took for replacement ..jeez ..

what im meaning is "its not dpi or number of buttons or the KOOL GLOW of a mice that matters" , its more about "your comfortability regarding the shape of the mice, GRIP etc , whether you hate installing drivers every now n then for lan etc...n all

The Best Counterstrike player in the world "Neo" uses an Intelli 1.1 mouse...does that mean that he is the best coz he owns a intelli 1.1? and he can get far better if he gets a deathadder?... just find out what suits ur comfortability and preference the BEST..rather than going "WOW" at useless tech specs.

I have mentioned already that the above problems are faced by 90 out of 100 ppl who buy that mouse these days..saying its VERY common...if you are ok with it and dont mind 10-20days of replacement, surely go for the 518 if you find its shape and specs according to ur preference:)

Back