Help me buy a bicycle

mr_mcfly

Disciple
I've decided to get back into the habit of riding a bicycle after a few years so need to get a bike. Last bike I had was the pretty basic Hercules cycle so I'm pretty clueless about a lot of stuff.

Basically planning to start riding 15km everyday and progress from that point. I'll try making a bullet list of questions

- Which brands are considered good? I'm seeing Mach City and Decathlon being recommended a lot these days. Also see some people recommend Firefox.
- The prices of a brand like Avon are pretty lower than something like Decathlon. Is there a marked difference in quality or just cheaper due to local manufacturing?
- My most important criteria is durability and low maintenance. What should I look for in a cycle for this?
- I have seen road cycles, MTB and hybrid. Which ones are suitable on city roads with speed breakers and potholes?
- I need solid wheels that don't bend after a few speed bumps, how are Alloy Wheels in this regard over aluminium?
- Biggest problems with the normal brakes is they need very regular tuning, so thinking to get disc brakes. The problem is there are very few cycles with dual disc brakes. Do disc brakes make a lot of difference?
- How many gears should I get? Or is gearless also good enough?

You haven't mentioned the most important thing and that is your budget. Also, no need of fancy disc brakes for just normal city road riding. Normal brake systems are much easier and cheaper to maintain and you don't have to fiddle with them on a regular basis either as you have pointed out.
Since you are looking to get back to cycling, my suggestion would be to get a cheap bike at first, even second hand if possible. Once you have committed yourself to cycling and decide that you are going to stick with it, then you can upgrade according to your needs. If there is not much elevation change in the route you will be riding on, then you can buy a gearless cycle, but gears do help, especially if one doesn't have the required strength in the beginning. And it will also help in reselling as gears are pretty much ubiquitous in cycles these days.

You haven't mentioned the most important thing and that is your budget
Sry forgot to mention the budget:facepalm:

I'm not very familiar on what a good budget should be for a beginner bike but I see 8k is average for a decent one, possibly could extend it to 10k

If the roads are flat, take a look at hero hawk.
- My most important criteria is durability and low maintenance. What should I look for in a cycle for this?
Since all mechanical parts are exposed to the elements, bicycles will need maintenance. Basic maintenance isn't hard to do.
Don't worry about durability. Not only do they last a long time, most parts can be replaced.

- I have seen road cycles, MTB and hybrid. Which ones are suitable on city roads with speed breakers and potholes?
Road cycle any day. They are more fun if you have decent roads. They can handle some abuse. Not being able to speed when you see an empty road hurts :)

Do not buy a MTB because they look 'strong'. Thick tires means more friction hence more effort. You will soon start looking for excuses to skip your ride.

Look for bikes with 700mm (27.5 inch) tires.

Last edited:
You will only get a basic cycle in that budget. I would still suggest to scour OLX and see what second hand options are available in your area as you will get better VFM in your budget.
If the roads in your area are good, you can get away with a hybrid, but if not, then go with a cycle with normal tyres. Maybe you might be able to score one with shocks in the second hand market. Check out the options in your budget from Decathlon and Hercules etc. if going for a new one.

I've decided to get back into the habit of riding a bicycle after a few years so need to get a bike. Last bike I had was the pretty basic Hercules cycle so I'm pretty clueless about a lot of stuff.

Basically planning to start riding 15km everyday and progress from that point. I'll try making a bullet list of questions

- Which brands are considered good? I'm seeing Mach City and Decathlon being recommended a lot these days. Also see some people recommend Firefox.
- The prices of a brand like Avon are pretty lower than something like Decathlon. Is there a marked difference in quality or just cheaper due to local manufacturing?
- I need solid wheels that don't bend after a few speed bumps, how are Alloy Wheels in this regard over aluminium?
- Biggest problems with the normal brakes is they need very regular tuning, so thinking to get disc brakes. The problem is there are very few cycles with dual disc brakes. Do disc brakes make a lot of difference?
- How many gears should I get? Or is gearless also good enough?
I recently bought a hybrid for around 8k.
It should fit well with city enviornment. Also if you are looking for just more effort during cycling then MTB.

15 km is a decent distance. Is it 15km one side or total ? Also take into account the road condition.
Agree with @rdst_1 on the budget part.

Bought Raleigh STRADA SS 29" 2 years ago for 10k . Do not ride frequently though.
Overall very light. Convenient to ride.

I am looking for a electric bicycle. Budget around 30k. Any good brand I should look for? I am aware of Indian brands but due to questionable quality do not wish to go for them.

You will only get a basic cycle in that budget. I would still suggest to scour OLX and see what second hand options are available in your area as you will get better VFM in your budget.
Tried looking on olx and just found 2 decent ones which were pretty expensive

Also the Hercules Roadeo looked like a pretty decent bike for the price. Would you recommend that brand?

I recently bought a hybrid for around 8k.
It should fit well with city enviornment. Also if you are looking for just more effort during cycling then MTB.
Iam also looking to buy a bicycle. Please share which hybrid did you buy ?

Last edited:
Tried looking on olx and just found 2 decent ones which were pretty expensive

Also the Hercules Roadeo looked like a pretty decent bike for the price. Would you recommend that brand?
There seems to be a lot of models in the Hercules Roadeo series. Don't know which one you are referring to, but should be a decent bike. There is an indian bicycle forum I think. You might get better suggestions over there, but choices will be somewhat same in your budget.

Iam also looking to buy a bicycle. Please share which hybrid did you buy ?
I bought it offline from nearby store.

But mine is without gear but with disc brakes.
IMG20210927141203.jpg

I can tell you without checking any brands. Decathlon will give you best value.
Would it be possible to get a custom set of parts if one visits their offline stores? Thinking along the lines of creating a custom bike by selecting frame, wheels etc
15 km is a decent distance. Is it 15km one side or total ? Also take into account the road condition.
It's total, assuming 10 km/h average speed and 1.5 hr spent cycling

Last edited:
Back