Monitors Help me choosing a LCD !

spitfire

Disciple
H Guys !
This time I need to buy a decent LCD for my home comp !
Budget is strictly 9-10k,cant go over that.

Here are some monitors that I've shortlisted.
1.Samsung 740n
2.LG 1752s
3.Viewsonic VA703m

All of them are 17" with square tube (I dont want to go for widescreen)

Which one of these I should buy ? All of them seem to have pretty good feedbacks on the internet.I am a bit inclined towards the LG one as it supports superb contrast ratio at 1400:1. How is this monitor ?

Another question...All these are with without DVI,Well can I get one with DVI input in this price range ? I am looking for mainly 17" or 19" normal non widescreen monitors only..

Thnx in advance

^^ Isnt that a WS ? He doesnt want WS.

btw. why dont you want WS. Most of the movie releases are in WS format. Slowly but surely most of the users are moving to the WS format.

i suggest you vew Wide Screen LCD before you say no. I find its more space to work with ( photo/web design). unless you are serious about color reproduction DVI/VGA wouldnt make much difference. Anyway when you go higher model then it comes with DVI by default.

compromise other items than on LCD .. after all what you see is more important that what you have inside your pc :)

Thnx Guys...
I donno why but I just dont like WS monitors..they also boast smller screen size.a 19" ws basically has the same screen area as a 17" square.

By the way..I am noticing a very strange fact in most of the models that they have a pretty low range optimum operating temparature.
Such as most of them has it between 0'-40'where as my old crt has it between 0'-55'

As I dont have airconditioning and its pretty hot in kolkata in summer..should I worry abt that ???

you dont need to worry about temps, monitors work fine with regular fan cooling.

and i have used a samsung 740n for about 2 months a year or so back and didnt really like it so consider looking at other models for your purchase , we have a 17inch LG at office thats pretty ok, will try to get the model for you.

spitfire said:
Thnx Guys...
I donno why but I just dont like WS monitors..they also boast smller screen size.a 19" ws basically has the same screen area as a 17" square.

Dude, it's usable screen area which matters not overall screen area.

Look at it this way, that 17" Normal aspect (4:3) monitor screening a typical cinemascope movie would have the same usable screen area as a 15.4" Widescreen (16:10). In the same breath, a 19" Widescreen with a movie running has the same usable screen area as a 21" standard aspect monitor.

So, in simpler words. What makes you happier?
Bigger, thicker black bars at the bottom and top of your movies?
OR
A moviescreen spanning nearly the entire length and breadth of the monitor?​

Or in even more simpler words, do you want a screen which shows a full image or do you want a screen you can brag about having "more screen area than your neighbour's WS monitor?".

:D

Apart from movies, WS is great for photo-editing/webdesign; the ability to put all your toolbars to the side and have your work in the centre is awesome. Gaming shouldn't be a problem with all the new games.

So, why not widescreen again? :)

Payne

PS: I suggest going for a 19" widescreen. Great for movies/games/design. Just as good enough for everything else. Just missing "boastable" size. :)

d_payne said:
Dude, it's usable screen area which matters not overall screen area.

Look at it this way, that 17" Normal aspect (4:3) monitor screening a typical cinemascope movie would have the same usable screen area as a 15.4" Widescreen (16:10). In the same breath, a 19" Widescreen with a movie running has the same usable screen area as a 21" standard aspect monitor.

So, in simpler words. What makes you happier?
Bigger, thicker black bars at the bottom and top of your movies?
OR
A moviescreen spanning nearly the entire length and breadth of the monitor?​

Or in even more simpler words, do you want a screen which shows a full image or do you want a screen you can brag about having "more screen area than your neighbour's WS monitor?".

:D

Apart from movies, WS is great for photo-editing/webdesign; the ability to put all your toolbars to the side and have your work in the centre is awesome. Gaming shouldn't be a problem with all the new games.

So, why not widescreen again? :)

Payne

PS: I suggest going for a 19" widescreen. Great for movies/games/design. Just as good enough for everything else. Just missing "boastable" size. :)

Thnx Buddy ! I got ur point !
In that case which monitor would u suggest...???

teddy_b73 said:
Hi,

My opinion is you go for Viewsonic VX922.

Its a 19" Square LCD with 2 ms response time....
It supports for both DVI-D (Single link) and D-SUB (VGA) connectors and comes at Rs.10,850/-

Check link on this same topic:
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/want-to-purchase-19-lcd-monitor-95822.html

Regards...

Hey buddy.thanx a lot !!!
But can you confirm the price ???

As I know that vx series monitors from VS are of professional range and costa a heck lot of more bucks than va and vg series..

So please confirm the price as this baby fits my wanting perfectly...

Well I will go to supreme day after tomorrow,see them in action and then wil decide.Most of the reply I got are suggesting WS so I just might give it a second thought !

Hi buddy..If u have confusions.....Then buy the latest August month CHIP magazine...There u can find comparisons between different LCD brands.....

Back