Help me configure a pocket rocket!

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
Q: What is your budget?

1. 50K
  1. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    1. CPU - AMD 955 BE
    2. Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA-785GMT-USB3
    3. GPU - ATI 5850 Twin Frozr
    4. RAM - Gskill Sniper 16 (4x4) GB DDR3 -1600Mhz
    5. Monitor - Dell G2410H
    6. SMPS - Corsair VX550
  2. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    1. RAM - Gskill Sniper 16 (4x4) GB DDR3 -1600Mhz
    2. Monitor - Dell G2410H
    3. SMPS - Corsair VX550
  3. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    1. CPU - Intel Core I5/i7
    2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard Micro atx specifically and only Gigabyte
    3. GPU - Nvidia/Ati - Good enough to last me for 3 years and should fit a micro-atx board/cabinet
    4. Cabinet - Conservative design like the Antec p180 mini or something similar to the Alienware x51 chassis. The cabinet should have a Small foot print should be able to handle 4-6 hard drives and good thermal capabilities although a mesh design and bright leds/lights are not cool for me
  4. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    1. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    2. SMPS - 600W
    3. Cabinet - CM XXX
    4. RAM - 2X4GB PC8500
  5. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    1. Mumbai/Ahmedabad
    2. Open to online purchase
  6. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    1. Yes
  7. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    1. Gaming - the ocassional FPS/Racing
    2. Browsing
    3. Desktop Processing - vmware/red hat linux/software testing etc
    4. HTPC
    5. Download rig, 24x7 operation
    6. Watching HD movies
  8. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    1. Asus - don't like their rma/after sales services
  9. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    1. FPS - Anything graphically intense at maximum settings
    2. Racing - Anything graphically intense at maximum settings
  10. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920x1080
    2. Desktop - 1920x1080
  11. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    1. yes - maybe
  12. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    1. Windows 7 64 bit
    2. Linux - Red hat/fedora

I want the system to have a very small footprint and would like basically like to have something very silent and compact. Gaming is something I rarely do - only the occasional new releases. No online/multiplayer gaming. I would like to have the cabinet/case to be as conservative as possible i.e no bright leds and garish teenage led fans and crap. Simple classic design and elegant lines.

I can wait for the new upcoming Intel/Amd releases. I want to keep this pc for 3-5 years as my requirements aren't very high.

Well here me goes --

Intel Core i7 2600k ~17500/-

Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3 OR Gigabyte GAZ68XP-UD3 OR ASUS P8Z68M-PRO

Corsair Carbide 400R ~5400/-

AMD HD 7850 2GB ~17500/- OR AMD HD 7870 2GB ~22500/-

AMD HD 7870 / 7850 2GB review --> http://www.techpower...D_7850_HD_7870/ / http://www.hardwarec...850-review.html.

The HD 7870 is a beast of a performer and I will vouch for it because --
Justification for the ASUS motherboard --
Can you wait for mid-range Kepler and Ivy-Bridge CPU's to release they might add more dimension to your limited choices and will really make a more comprehensive buy, due to these reasons --
  • AMD 78** series currently has no competition, how Kepler [GTX 670 / GTX 660Ti] offerings from nVidia will affect this segment will be interesting and will see more palatable prices on menu.
  • Ivy-Bridge is due this May, might be, might not be what you need. But will add some depth to your choices.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Yo,ALPHA your first Gigabyte mobo link is leading to stalker 2 youtube video:p and you've mentioned a new proccy i5 2600k,do correct that.
Well here me goes --

Intel Core i5 2600k ~17500/-

Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3 OR Gigabyte GAZ68XP-UD3 OR ASUS P8Z68M-PRO

Corsair Carbide 400R ~5400/-

AMD HD 7850 2GB ~17500/- OR AMD HD 7870 2GB ~22500/-

AMD HD 7870 / 7850 2GB review --> http://www.techpower...D_7850_HD_7870/ / http://www.hardwarec...850-review.html.

The HD 7870 is a beast of a performer and I will vouch for it because --
Justification for the ASUS motherboard --
Can you wait for mid-range Kepler and Ivy-Bridge CPU's to release they might add more dimension to your limited choices and will really make a more comprehensive buy, due to these reasons --
  • AMD 78** series currently has no competition, how Kepler [GTX 670 / GTX 660Ti] offerings from nVidia will affect this segment will be interesting and will see more palatable prices on menu.
  • Ivy-Bridge is due this May, might be, might not be what you need. But will add some depth to your choices.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Back