CPU/Mobo Help me Diagnose the Problem !

Hi guys,

I have a desktop PC that I have been using for quite a while now.

Recently, it has stopped booting. I get the beep sound but after that it won't boot (not even the BIOS screen comes on).

Sometimes when I reinsert RAM it will turn on properly. Once it turns on I can use it properly most of the times but sometimes it will hang.

I am unable to diagnose the problem.

I am sure its not a RAM problem because I have tested the same RAM on my 2nd PC and it does not give me any problems.

So I am guessing its either a processor or motherboard problem.

Correct me if I am wrong but it cannot be a hard disk or GPU problem since the boot screen does not come on itself.

It could be a PSU problem but less likely I feel?

Any help will be appreciated.

NOTE: Sometimes there are 2 beeps during boot.

By my experience, Even hdds can cause boot problems and not give any display. You mentioned that it hangs, could be bad sectors in your hdd. Download Hiren's boot cd utility and check for bad sectors in your hdd. With the same, also check your CPU temps and see that they are not going off charts. Lastly, even gpu can give boots problems. If you think it is not the gpu, then try booting your pc on on-board graphics accelerator.

And how old is your PSU and which GPU are you using? Could also be possible that your PSU is not able to delivery the required power to your gpu.

By my experience, Even hdds can cause boot problems and not give any display. You mentioned that it hangs, could be bad sectors in your hdd. Download Hiren's boot cd utility and check for bad sectors in your hdd. With the same, also check your CPU temps and see that they are not going off charts. Lastly, even gpu can give boots problems. If you think it is not the gpu, then try booting your pc on on-board graphics accelerator.

And how old is your PSU and which GPU are you using? Could also be possible that your PSU is not able to delivery the required power to your gpu.
Hi Nish,

I don't think its the GPU because it hangs even when I boot with the on-board GPU. Another reason I don't think its the GPU is because I have not been running anything GPU intensive other than a few non-HD videos.

Are you sure that due to a bad HDD, the boot screen wont show even? Nevertheless, I will run Hiren's boot utility like you said. Can I boot Hiren's utility through USB? I don't have CD Drive.

PSU and GPU both are 2 years+

Yes, you can work it out with a usb drive too.[DOUBLEPOST=1363802190][/DOUBLEPOST]OOPS! Need to correct myself here. Two beeps you said, hdd failure doesnt give out beeps. Leave the hdd out. You might want to try something else.

2 beeps : Video Adapter Error

Hmm...I have 2 HD4850....will try the 2nd one and see if it makes any difference.
sometimes removing and reinserting the gfx card helps. due to the contact failure on the pci slot. try inserting it into other slot if it makes any difference.

All solved now i guess? sorry i was late
Yep all solved. Thanks guys.

Thanks for caring iyengar :)

Anyone know where in Mumbai is the official replacement center for ATI Graphic Cards? Its a HD 4850. Pretty old, probably out of warranty. But last time I managed to replace my mobo even though it was out of warranty so might as well give it a try.

Back