Monitors Help me to decide my 3D monitor and TV Tuner

jammy420

Adept
Help me to decide my 3D monitor for my PC. what features and considerations to look for?

PHILIPS 238G4DHSD - response time is 14ms and smart response time for 2D is 7ms - what does this mean?
AOC D2367ph
VIEWSONIC V3D231
LG D2342P - not available anywhere in trichy or online. Do you know any online?
Any other monitor available around 15k range?

How to convert my monitor to TV? How can I connect my RF (cable tv) input to monitor? Do I need a TV tuner Card? I am looking for a cheap -mid range TV tuner with TV recording feature. will the i-ball claro enough? So I'll be using TV tuner's remote for changing channels right? Do I compulsorily need a SSD for recording? I have a WD Blue. My recording needs are minimal and it should be viewable.

Will 23 inch monitor will be too small for a TV? Should I go for a 27inch?If so 27 inch AOC or 27inch Philips. ?

In case if I choose AOC 23A6730/61 TV to connect my PC for monitor use, Do I need a TV tuner to record TV programs? If,no how to?If yes how to?

Can anyone take some time to explain this please? I am new to this.

How to convert my monitor to TV? How can I connect my RF (cable tv) input to monitor? Do I need a TV tuner Card? I am looking for a cheap -mid range TV tuner with TV recording feature. will the i-ball claro enough? So I'll be using TV tuner's remote for changing channels right? Do I compulsorily need a SSD for recording? I have a WD Blue. My recording needs are minimal and it should be viewable.

Will 23 inch monitor will be too small for a TV? Should I go for a 27inch?If so 27 inch AOC or 27inch Philips. ?

In case if I choose AOC 23A6730/61 TV to connect my PC for monitor use, Do I need a TV tuner to record TV programs? If,no how to?If yes how to?

I use a Full HD monitor as HDTV. I don't have a TV tuner, just have an HD set top box with HDMI out connected directly with the monitor. The HD channels have good picture quality but the normal channels doesn't look good in the monitor.

In these days the Set Top Boxes are being made mandatory. So it is better to get a STB or a DTH with HDMI out than getting a tuner card. If you want recording feature, get a DTH with recorder.

You will never get the picture quality of a high end TV in a monitor. High end Tvs will have image processing techniques (like X reality & bravia engine) to improve image quality. But if you want to save money, using monitor is the option.

Thanks for your reply... Sorry, I am very ignorant on this matters...I am just stuck with this RF to Monitor for days. May be my understanding also quite odd/wrong.possible.See if you or someone can help.

The whole idea behind is I have to shell out at least 15k to get a TV or monitor of 23",24",27" inches. So I thought why not 3D?because you cannot add a 3D feature later on. (The monitor/TV that I choose is going to be with us for years to come,if it lasts :) ) So either I can choose AOC 23" 3D tv or some 3D monitor used as my TV.

If I am choosing any 3D monitor/any monitor, I need to plug my RF input to my tv to get my TV channels. I don't have a STB/DTH box now . All I pay for my current cable is just Rs.120/month. I have no plans to get one STB/DTH box for cable viewing purpose, as there is no such enforcement of buying one in my place,trichy and there is no possibility of having one such enforcement. And in case If I buy STB/DTH, I guess I have to pay more than my monthly bill, which I am not interested in.

This TV is going to be used by my parents and the usage is going to be mainly some devotional programs in cable and rest of the usage is from stored videos in PC.

Or is the STB/DTH box is something like I have to pay one time and I am done with it. Can I get the box only for this purpose and still not get a monthly connection? (forgive if its absurd :( )

I am interested in purchasing some one time stuff (for connecting my RF to monitor) rather than increasing my monthly bill.
as far as recording feature, it is a Add on. I just want to know how much I have to pay extra to get this feature, if possible I can say yes.

Last edited:
Let me break it down :
1. Analog TV signals + TV tuner cards = lousy picture quality.
2. Your analog cable resolution is probably around 576i. Will you be able to properly upscale video to your display's native resolution = 720p or 1080p?
3. I doubt your parents will wait few minutes for the PC to boot up just to watch TV.
4. You will need a user friendly '10 foot interface' like XBMC.
5. In case of software issues, will your parents be able to debug them?

I could go on and on, but bottom line - Get a TV if your main purpose is watching TV.

ok.. thanks, that was clearing up my purchase confusion...though couldn't get the exact thing you say.nothing may be wrong with ur side...

Thanks for your reply... Sorry, I am very ignorant on this matters...I am just stuck with this RF to Monitor for days. May be my understanding also quite odd/wrong.possible.See if you or someone can help.

The whole idea behind is I have to shell out at least 15k to get a TV or monitor of 23",24",27" inches. So I thought why not 3D?because you cannot add a 3D feature later on. (The monitor/TV that I choose is going to be with us for years to come,if it lasts :) ) So either I can choose AOC 23" 3D tv or some 3D monitor used as my TV.

If I am choosing any 3D monitor/any monitor, I need to plug my RF input to my tv to get my TV channels. I don't have a STB/DTH box now . All I pay for my current cable is just Rs.120/month. I have no plans to get one STB/DTH box for cable viewing purpose, as there is no such enforcement of buying one in my place,trichy and there is no possibility of having one such enforcement. And in case If I buy STB/DTH, I guess I have to pay more than my monthly bill, which I am not interested in.

This TV is going to be used by my parents and the usage is going to be mainly some devotional programs in cable and rest of the usage is from stored videos in PC.

Or is the STB/DTH box is something like I have to pay one time and I am done with it. Can I get the box only for this purpose and still not get a monthly connection? (forgive if its absurd :( )

I am interested in purchasing some one time stuff (for connecting my RF to monitor) rather than increasing my monthly bill.
as far as recording feature, it is a Add on. I just want to know how much I have to pay extra to get this feature, if possible I can say yes.

Do you already own a TV or a monitor? Are them in working condition? What are the sizes & res.?
What will be the TV viewing distance?
I can give my suggestions if you answer these questions.

If you get a STB or DTH you will have different channel packages to choose from. I am using a 210/month package in my STB with which I get lot of SD channels, 8HD channels & a 3D channel. DTHs have packages ranging from 140 to 600 per month. You can save more by paying for 6 months or 1 year. It won't make a big difference with your current monthly bill. So getting an STB/DTH with HDMI out is better than getting a tuner card.

You can't get HD or 3D TV channels without a STB/DTH.

If you don't have a plan to buy STB/DTH then it is better to stick with your old TV. Also the new LED TVs won't last for years like the old CRTs.

I own a 21" crt tv in working condition.. watching from 7-8 feet.

line of thought is to get some entertainment pc for parents + some video chat + browsing + occasional photoshop n stuff by me/relatives..and I thought I hv to spend at least 6k to get a decent monitor. Just I was looking if I can spend more and get a hdtv.

"If you don't have a plan to buy STB/DTH then it is better to stick with your old TV. " - this is interesting . can u explain more - will the cable connection too bad for a 24 inch HDtv?

watching from 7-8 feet.
browsing + occasional photoshop n stuff
Browsing + photoshop on a television at 7-8 feet is not practical. PC apps are best used at a desk. HTPCs are suited for video/audio, not PC productivity.

"If you don't have a plan to buy STB/DTH then it is better to stick with your old TV. " - this is interesting . can u explain more - will the cable connection too bad for a 24 inch HDtv?
He's referring to the video upscale issue I mentioned earlier. With LCD TVs you need to match resolutions (by getting an STB/DTH with HD content) or hope the TV has a good upscaler for SD content to look decent. Your PC TV tuner will not run any upscaling algorithms at all and will look pixellated. CRTs don't have pixels, so they tend to look a little more natural with regular SD content on your cable.

You didn't get my point. I'm repeating - Getting a STB or a DTH with HDMI out is better than getting a tuner card. Set top box is a box with remote control to change channels, volume etc. We connect it with the local cable network, then connect TV with the set top box. If your set top box and monitor both have HDMI port, then you can just connect them and watch the channels in the monitor like in a TV. This will give better picture quality than a TV tuner card & a monitor and this will be more convenient to use. You can get an STB with a few hundred bucks more than the price of a tuner card. One more thing, STB is not something we can get from a shop. You will have to contact the local cable service provider to get the STB. If your cable operator doesn't provide STB, then you can opt DTH.

Old CRT TVs will give better picture quality than a tuner card. So it is better to keep using it if you don't want to purchase a STB/DTH.

thanks both of you. when its used as tv, watching distance will be there 7 feet, but when its a PC monitor, it will be used at desk...can't be done?, if its a full HD?

So, a stb/dth box is better than tv tuner performance wise. I checked the local price of dth... for my home usage it is just from 150-250... not very high..

I can make an informed decision now. thanks ti both of u and tech enclave

Last edited:
say, I am taking a dth/stb...

I am excited about giving some 3d content to parents..

I have 2 options
1. 23 inch AOC TV or few 23 inch 3d monitors
2. philips 27 inch 3d monitor - (theres no other 27 inch 3d monitors for sale) - more inclined towards this for bigger screen.

(3. 32 inch 3D tvs are too big when used as monitor and also big for my wallet. as you wud hv seen, I started off with a 6k monitor went to 13k tv - now a 20k monitor)

I have some good no of stored up videos, not necessary all are HD. going to play them with PC..so if I am correct, they PC output will directly connect to display via HDMI. will they look good on my 27 inch monitor ?atleast they should be able to perform decent enough ? or they will look good on 23 inch monitor/tv?

I saw samsung t24c350AR with RF in, DTV tuner - no 3D
AOC 2757 3d - no stock

summary question: will my philips 27 inch able to play non HD videos at some acceptable performance?

Last edited:
Get AOC 23" 3d TV if it has a 1920x1080px resolution. It should work fine as PC monitor also.

A 27 inch PC monitor should have at least 1440p to look good.

The 3D feature is a gimmick. You will hate it after some time.

Back