Help me Upgrade My PC

handsomeabhi

Disciple
Hi Friends,

I am thinking of upgrading my PC and Need Your Valuable Inputs & Suggestions to decide on the components.

So here we go . . .

1. Q: What is your budget?

a. 30K - 50K+

b. Frankly there is no minimum or maximum budget. I just need to have an extremely powerful PC making sure that I spend just the RIGHT AMOUNT.

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

a. CPU - Intel Core i7 920 - D0 Stepping - Bloomfiled

b. Motherboard - Asus Rampage II Extreme

c. GPU - EVGA e-GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3

d. RAM - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

e. Monitor - AOC F22 22" LCD

f. SMPS - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V

g. HDD - WDC WD5000AAKS-22TMA0 (500 GB) X 2 + WDC WD5000AACS-00G8B1 (500 GB)

h. ODD - ASUS DRW-1814BLT ATA Device

i. Sound Card - Creative SupremeFX X-Fi (Bundled with Motherboard)

j. Cabinet - Cooler Master 690 (RC-690)

h. Keyboard - Logitech K340

i. Mouse - Logitech Performance MX M950 Darkfiled Laser Tracking

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

a. CPU - Intel Core i7 920 - D0 Stepping - Bloomfiled

b. Motherboard - Asus Rampage II Extreme

c. RAM - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

d. SMPS - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V

e. ODD - ASUS DRW-1814BLT ATA Device

f. Sound Card - Creative SupremeFX X-Fi (Bundled with Motherboard)

g. Cabinet - Cooler Master 690 (RC-690)

h. Keyboard - Logitech K340

i. Mouse - Logitech Performance MX M950 Darkfiled Laser Tracking

h. Open to suggestions if you want me to REMOVE/REPLACE anything from this list too

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

a. GPU

b. Monitor - Absolute necessity as AOC is really BAD. Please suggest something which produces phenomenal picture. Open to LCD as well as LED :) .

c. SSD

d. HDD

e. 2.1 Speakers

f. Anything else you want to suggest

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

a. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months as I do it everytime ;)

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

a. Mumbai

b. Pune

c. TE Dealer

d. Whoever that gives me the BEST PRICE ;)
7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

a. No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

a. Desktop Processing

b. Coding/Photoshop

c. Gaming

d. Browsing

e. Download rig, 24x7 operation

f. Watching HD movies

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

a. Not really but have been stuck to Asus, Intel & Logitech for a longtime. But absolutely no Brand loyalty when it comes to performance. In fact it would be exciting to try out some new brand if needed.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

a. Not much of a Gamer

b. I play when I have time. Usually I download the highest rated game and play it. Last game I played on PC was Batman - Arkham Asylum

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

a. Never given a though. Something which is comfortable on eyes

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

a. No. Though I own Asus Rampage II Extreme, I have never overclocked yet.

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

a. Windows 7 Ultimate Retail License 64 bit

Apart from the TEMPLATE here are certain things I want to highlight:

a. I am not an avid Gamer but still I like to own the BEST GPU in case I decide on playing some titles

b. Besides Browsing & Desktop Processing I watch a lot of HD movies

c. If you see my current configuration, there is no need for an upgrade as the machine is working perfectly fine. But still I need to UPGRADE and own the latest high performing hardware :) .

So friends I have put everything in front of you and now please update this thread with your valuable suggestions and HELP ME FINALIZE MY UPGRADE PURCHASE :) .

Best Regards,

handsomeabhi

Re: *** Help me Upgrade My PC ***

*whistles* Wanna trade PC's? :O

If you absolutely must get a Rampage III Extreme~20k or 17k I don't remember.

Dominator GT's ~ Rs. 14-15k

GTX460 SLI- Rs. 22,000

I really can't think of anything more, the current config is already too good.

Hi Overload,

Thanks for the reply mate :) .

Rampage Extreme III - I don't think so as I am very happy with Rampage Extreme II

Dominator GT's - Will look into this and consider if really GOOD

GTX460 SLI - So you mean 2 GPU's. The thing is due to the Creative Card it is really difficult to fit in 2 GPU's on Rampage. Any other suggestion with a single GPU or something from ATI ?

Best Regards,

handosmeabhi

OverlorD said:
*whistles* Wanna trade PC's? :O

If you absolutely must get a Rampage III Extreme~20k or 17k I don't remember.

Dominator GT's ~ Rs. 14-15k

GTX460 SLI- Rs. 22,000

I really can't think of anything more, the current config is already too good.

Plonk in couple of Zotac 1GB GTX460 ~26k. It pawns the GTX480. Guess this upgrade should suffice for a while :p

Edit: Just saw ur reply. If single GPU then go for the HD5870 1GB GDDR5~21.5K/ Zotac GTX480 ~ 28.5k

Greetings DarkAngel,

Thanks for the reply mate.

Will consider your suggestions.

Any suggestion regarding the monitor & SSD.

Best Regards,

handsomeabhi

handsomeabhi said:
Greetings DarkAngel,

Thanks for the reply mate.

Will consider your suggestions.

Any suggestion regarding the monitor & SSD.

Best Regards,
handsomeabhi
For SSD's consider the Corsair Force drives with the Sand Force Controllers. They were on sale in TE market.
For display the Dell U2311H ~14k(from SMC) is good. Its a IPS panel and got good feedback in TE.

Hmmm I don't think the HD 5970 is worth it as it is a power hog and runs hot too, also curtail on the OC limit due to the dual GPU on single die setup. So would agree with DarkAngel and reccomend an 5870 then start OCing it like crazy :)

@DarkAngel - Ok will look for those SSD's. Still I am not convinced about the SSD advantage factor over WD Raports or similar.

Thanks for recommending the Dell U2311H. Any suggestion about the Dell U2711 as it has a lot of good reviews. I am not sure how it will be to use in everyday computing with Text & Websites.

About the power of 2 GTX 460 1 GB in SLI, if they would out perform the HD 5870, then will go for them happily :)

DarkAngel said:
For SSD's consider the Corsair Force drives with the Sand Force Controllers. They were on sale in TE market.

For display the Dell U2311H ~14k(from SMC) is good. Its a IPS panel and got good feedback in TE.

@varunversion1 - Any idea about HD 5970 cost ?

@Alpha17 - Thanks for the input mate.

Best Regards,

handsomeabhi

handsomeabhi said:
@DarkAngel - Ok will look for those SSD's. Still I am not convinced about the SSD advantage factor over WD Raports or similar.

Thanks for recommending the Dell U2311H. Any suggestion about the Dell U2711 as it has a lot of good reviews. I am not sure how it will be to use in everyday computing with Text & Websites.

About the power of 2 GTX 460 1 GB in SLI, if they would out perform the HD 5870, then will go for them happily :)

@varunversion1 - Any idea about HD 5970 cost ?

@Alpha17 - Thanks for the input mate.

Best Regards,
handsomeabhi
If u are not in a hurry then wait for the 25nm fabs from Intel. In Dec this year u will get double the capacity for the same price as now. So hold on the SSD purchase

As i said the GTX460 1GB SLI pawns the GTX480(the fastest single card GPU). It beats the HD5870 by a considerable margin.

Back