Budget 41-50k Help me with my first ITX build

zero_cool

Disciple
Hi guys, I am in the process of building a small ITX build on an equally small :sweat: budget. I need help with recommendations on some of the parts that I am having trouble finalizing.
  1. What is your budget?
    • Around 45,000. Lesser the better.
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Planning to buy new and used
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • PSU (Antec TP 650), GPU (GTX 1060), Cabinet (Corsair 250D), SSD (Samsung 840 Pro)
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU – Getting an i5 10600K for Rs. 13,000 or an i5 10400 for Rs. 10,000. Open to better deals.
    • Motherboard – Need suggestions. New only. (Preferably with two Nvme slots)
    • Ram – 16 GB or 32 GB. Getting a Corsair Vengeance 3200 (1 x 32 GB) for Rs. 15,000.
    • Cooler – Need suggestions. Preferably Air Cooler over AIO. Need to consider clearance in the cabinet.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following parts in 2 - 3 years
    • SSD – 1 TB Nvme SSD
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Prime ABGB (only because of good RMA support)
    • Open to online purchase
    • TE Marketplace
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Basic work applications over a multi monitor setup
    • Occasional virtual machines
    • Light gaming
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Preferred: Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, GSkill, Corsair, Cooler Master, Noctua. Lack of experience in dealing with AsRock, DeepCool. Will prefer brands with a decent RMA support.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Games launched between 2010 - 2016 and indie games). No intention to play the latest AAA titles
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • 1080p
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10/11 64 bit

Last edited:
You have most of the parts it seems.

I have a file server/download rig with an Intel Pentium G5400 housed in a Fractal Node 304 sourced from primeabgb.

The motherboard is a AsRock Z390M ITX which is an overkill but it was the only one available with 6 SATA ports.

The case has a lot of clearance for air cooling as the CPU is cooled by a spare Noctua NH-U12S.

However using a full ATX PSU would limit the GPU length. I have a Corsair SFX750 which is overkill but the SFX450 was not available anyways.

You have most of the parts it seems.

I have a file server/download rig with an Intel Pentium G5400 housed in a Fractal Node 304 sourced from primeabgb.

The motherboard is a AsRock Z390M ITX which is an overkill but it was the only one available with 6 SATA ports.

The case has a lot of clearance for air cooling as the CPU is cooled by a spare Noctua NH-U12S.

However using a full ATX PSU would limit the GPU length. I have a Corsair SFX750 which is overkill but the SFX450 was not available anyways.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was contemplating the Node 304 at some point as it one of the few cube cases but I felt the internals were too tight with an ATX PSU. One might create some extra room with an SFX PSU but that was an additional cost I wanted to avoid and use as much existing components as I could. While the Corsair 250D has a much larger footprint, I feel its Motherboard, Storage and PSU placement perfectly suits my needs. The cooler clearance is something I didn't account when I got the case as most air coolers are 165mm tall while the case only houses 140mm which limits my options a lot.

been making ITX builds for the last few years, so heres my two bit
AIR FLOW is a pain in the ass, especailly if you are going for the smaller cases (Liquid cooling is a must for the CPU atleast ) then you only have to struggle with MB, PSU and GPU heat exhaust
ITX boards are ridiculously overpriced in INDIA, for the same price as a good itx board you can get a matx and a good mid tower case and have money left over (ihave the asus rog ITX board)
Twin NME boards in itx will have one above one behind, there is no way you will be able to cool the one behind and it will heat up miserably under the motherboard
PSU if you move to small factor ones are again ridicoulsly priced for same performance and output ( i got the SF600)
PSU venting is mostly bad in most cases of ITX form factor for pure airflow cooling
After much experimentation over the years (including liquid cooling of GPU and CPU and mounting the PSU hidden with extended cables outside the case i gave up and moved to a mid tower

My conclusions, ITX builds need a huge budget in INDIA
ITX builds need liquid cooling for all components unless you live in a 24/7 AC house
Cable managment is never as neat in promo pics you see :)
ITX builds are only ok for basic computing needs with mid to low end performance hardware
MATX is much much better VFM and cleaner and cooler builds

Enjoy your experimentation :)

Hi i recently completed my ITX build in a NR200. I 3d printed a atx psu bracket and was able to use my Antech HCG 750W gold psu. Do check that out.
I have a plan to print the front plate of my case so I can improve the airflow of the case. Let me get the case in my hand and I will see how to go with the measurements from thereon.

been making ITX builds for the last few years, so heres my two bit
AIR FLOW is a pain in the ass, especailly if you are going for the smaller cases (Liquid cooling is a must for the CPU atleast ) then you only have to struggle with MB, PSU and GPU heat exhaust
ITX boards are ridiculously overpriced in INDIA, for the same price as a good itx board you can get a matx and a good mid tower case and have money left over (ihave the asus rog ITX board)
Twin NME boards in itx will have one above one behind, there is no way you will be able to cool the one behind and it will heat up miserably under the motherboard
PSU if you move to small factor ones are again ridicoulsly priced for same performance and output ( i got the SF600)
PSU venting is mostly bad in most cases of ITX form factor for pure airflow cooling
After much experimentation over the years (including liquid cooling of GPU and CPU and mounting the PSU hidden with extended cables outside the case i gave up and moved to a mid tower

My conclusions, ITX builds need a huge budget in INDIA
ITX builds need liquid cooling for all components unless you live in a 24/7 AC house
Cable managment is never as neat in promo pics you see :)
ITX builds are only ok for basic computing needs with mid to low end performance hardware
MATX is much much better VFM and cleaner and cooler builds

Enjoy your experimentation :)
Thanks a lot bro. Appreciate the inputs. I have acquired all the components for my build and only the case is yet to arrive (it is still in Bangalore). I did setup the system in my existing Mid-tower case but I do wish I could just shrink my existing tower case and carry on with an mATX build. Unfortunately, I gave in to the family pressure to reduce the size of my PC and shifted to ITX. The placement of SATA ports and the front panel headers (between the M.2. Slot and the PCI-E slot) is absolutely ridiculous. The RAM was so close to the CPU cooler (Noctua U9S) that the fan started to interfere with the heat spreader. I had to adjust the position of the fan slightly to leave a millimeter of space between the two. I don't have an NVMe SSD yet as I feel I am content with SATA drives that offer more storage for less cost. My board too has the twin NVMe slots and I had planned to install a drive in the rear slot first so I don't have to bother about it ever again but your post has made me reconsider my plan.

Once I transfer the components to the ITX case, I will post my build here along with all the stuff I learnt in this journey. When I post my build, you might see that I did my best to keep the cost low but even without purchasing a graphic card, storage drives, PSU and a hefty discount of Rs. 12,000 on the processor, I still ended up spending over Rs. 40,000 on just the basic components. ITX users are is in a different budget segment who intend to do basic computing and don't mind the premium price for the smaller footprint.

so i went thru One HTPC Grandia Case, and THREE versions of diff builds and configurations in an ELITE 130 , including one where i made large cutout mods with a dremel for improved aircooling, and then finally this year after nearly 6 years of small form factor cases , gave up and now have settled on a simple Mid tower Glass panel case.
Trust me its a relief to not finally have to worry about cable management and improved airflow cooling
i had a GTX 970 a GTX 1080 and now a 2070 Super and and Heat is your biggest enemy in an ITX build :)

Back