Audio Help needed buying 2.1 speaker setup

cybermantas

Disciple
Dear all,

I have been using Altec Lansing's ATP3 for 4 yeas now and they have finally gone bust. After having read around TE forums and other sources for almost 2 weeks now, have decided that 2.1 speakers is what fits the bill for my needs. Within that space, my comprehensive set of options seem to be

1) Logitech Z-623
2) Logitech Z-2300
3) Corsair SP2500
4) Swan M10
5) Altec Lansing MX6021
6) Klipsch Pro Media 2.1

My requirements are primarily Gaming and movies... I dont listen to music much but would at least require good volume (bass?) for small in-house parties... speakers would be placed in a wall cabinet where the room dimensions would be approximately 12' x 25'. Budget is 8k ... but willing to stretch to 12k if there is a particularly good reason

As for the above 6 choices, my guess is Z-2300 are the best, but they are out of stock (If someone knows where to buy them in Mumbai, please do help). Swan M10, my concern is with the amount of volume they can produce.

Best option considering VFM would be Z-623, is that right ? Or should I consider Corsair SP2500 (almost twice the price! ) or Klipsch Promedia ? I also considered the Audioengine A2 for a while, but figured the lack of a subwoofer would be a handicap for my needs, is that correct?

Let me know if I need to add any other kind of info... thanks for the help!

I guess the Swans should be the best of the lot. Go for higher models in Swans if you can. Also, consider AE2 and AE5. AE2 has/had quality issues though!

Thanks for the input! Which are the higher models for Swan and where can I buy them ? Is AE2 a recommendation for movies/gaming without a sub-woofer ?

^^ Swans M10 is no longer available. Swans M12, the successor is available for 7.5k, but as I found out it is worse than the M10 in many ways. Also no other higher end Swans models are available in India.

Guys, due to availability, I have decided to go for Logitech Z623... the safe choice as I would put it. Now can some1 advise from where I will get the best rate for these speakersin Mumbai. I am being quoted 8,400 at one shop... is this good enough ?

Go for the SP2500 if you can. Movies & games is where they excel. If there is one 2.1 system which can beat the Z-2300 in bass output, it is SP2500.

Also SP2500 is better in the music department that Z-2300 due to its additional tweeter. The downside is the price though.

^Were you able to test a unit personally like you did for the others? I wasn't aware Corsair launched the SP2500 in India as yet.

Gannu said:
^Were you able to test a unit personally like you did for the others? I wasn't aware Corsair launched the SP2500 in India as yet.

Two Indian websites Techtree & Tech2 have done reviews on SP2500. According to them it is great for movies & games but not for music.

+1 for Corsair SP2500, best in the OP's list followed by Z-2300...

cybermantas said:
Guys, due to availability, I have decided to go for Logitech Z623... the safe choice as I would put it. Now can some1 advise from where I will get the best rate for these speakersin Mumbai. I am being quoted 8,400 at one shop... is this good enough ?
8K :O Check this

Performance wise,

1. Corsair SP2500

2. Logitech Z-2300 (If u can find, grab it eyes closed)

3. Altec Lansing MX-5021 (If u can find, grab it eyes closed)

4. Klipsch Pro Media 2.1

5. Logitech Z-623

6. Altec Lansing MX6021

Lord Nemesis said:
Is the Z623 worth buying? Most of the reviews seem to have deemed it average (7~8/10 ratings).
Z623 is a recommended set for bassheads.

After the sad demise of the Z2300, the Z623 seems like the best bet from the Logitech 2.1 array. I think they are the most Do-able set of speakers from Logitech in its target price range.

@Cybermantas

From whatever i have read,

1) If you can wait:- Corsair is the way to go.

2) If you can import:- Promedia 2.1 (make sure to get the transformer arrangement done)

3) Indian Purchase:- Creative Gigaworks T3 (Not really worth the price tag but since when did creative got that correct..!? Will fill your room with good enuf sound.)

Thanks all for the replies. Will check out the link for the prices. Any idea if corsair is available in india/mumbai and from where it can be had from?

Back