Monitors Help Needed - Monitor Dilemma

sureshmilton

Disciple
After my Viewsonic VA903b 19 inch model got a gaping round 4 inch pixel-dead area, I have been forced to prematurely consider a new monitor after only four years of usage. I would like to buy a monitor that offers great colour and enough space. After long researching, I had come to decision that the monitor has to be either of these two monitors,

1. Asus PA238Q

and

2. Asus PA246Q

I had almost decided to go for the Asus PA246Q due to its terrific reviews when I was faced with news that the model was not available in India from my dealer. He says fresh stock might be available only by the end of this month. However, he has the Asus PA238Q model. Should I go for the cheaper model instead?

I have read several user reviews on its back bleed issues and other quality issues. Should I wait for the PA246Q or will PA238Q make do?

I will be using the monitor primarily for surfing, occasional gaming, coding and watching movies. I am quite picky about colour rendition and resolution. Please help me choose a winner. Any other suggestions are welcome too.

Also, I am amazed there is not a single monitor PA246Q in India. Would that be true?

^^ Why don't you go for the Dell Ultrasharp series U2311H ~ 14500/- [well received IPS panel monitor with LED back-light and HDMI-out].

It is available here, okay it seems even that also has been fully replace with the newer U2312HM priced --> 14600/- http://www.smcinternational.in/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=1789&category_id=64&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=93.

ASUS after sales services are bad compared to Dell. So hope this helps, Sire. Cheers!!

@Thank you for your reply.

You are right about Asus service. However, these models seem good value for money and I have never had any previous problems with Asus products. I have considered Dell. But there are some reviews that PA248Q is even better than U2310 which seems to be a reference model in this category.

On paper PA246Q is a total bargain and the monitor to buy. I have been trying for the last couple of months but sadly no news of an Indian release. If you are the picky type, I recommend holding out against 6-bit e-IPS panels like Dell U2311H. Yes, they are better than TN panels, but leave a lot to be desired versus P-IPS panels. Resolution wise, mainstream monitors are stuck at 1920x1080/1200 for 24 inch monitors. There will be affordable 4K or 3840x2160 monitors in 2013.

I think the PA246Q has already been released in India. Its just that it has sold out. I will not go for 6bit as it still holds back. Whenever I look at my brother's CRT monitor, I am amazed at the colours even if it is just an ordinary Viewsonic CRT. Guess we will have to wait till next month for new order to arrive. Seems a long time.

4k! I will need four of my graphics cards to power such a beast
<

Oh, I see! Well, the dealers I have contacted know nothing about it. Everytime I say PA24... they keep correcting me and saying "you must mean 23"! If it is in stock do let us know.

HD 7970 already supports 4K off a single HDMI 1.4a or DP 1.2 cable and there's no reason to believe HD 7700/7800 won't. So by the time 4K panels are affordable even budget graphics cards would drive 4K.

Here's hoping then, for better times!

Damn, PA246Q is already featured in a review by Saiyan! Strange, it did not show up when I first searched for it. Here is the link

^^ Upto you Sire, but I think you cannot go wrong even if you go with a monitor from the Dell Ultrasharp series either.

Why compare the PA246Q and Dell U2312HM, they belong to different category

While PA246Q is good , no doubt, but it should be compared to Dell U2410

IMO PA246Q has a 10 bit panel or lookup table, I dont know exactly but it is superior to U2312HM

Suresh you can check out the U2410, also I think ITDepot sells asus monitors

@Alpha17

You have got me thinking about the Dell. U2410 is immensely popular but I read several reviews stating that Asus has slight edge over the Dell. I will count seconds till this month is over
<
. Yeah! Its going to be hard.

@allrounder799

Rightly said. I should have compared it to U2410. But I read it some review that PA238Q has good colour and is much better for gaming as it has almost no input lag. So I thought, should this suffice?

@thegatekeeper

It is tempting to go for the Dell U2410. But if you check the next page of that review, it says that Asus P246Q has the edge in several factors

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/43469-dell-ultrasharp-u2410-24-ips-monitor-review-9.html

Also, Dell retails for more than Rs. 30k while Asus should be 28k with tax.

Now its upto you to decide, I would have gone for the Asus but as others said there are warranty issues

But at last it you who gets to decide

Just so you know Asus PA238Q is available at primeabgb

Went through several non-English reviews and others on the U2410 and PA246Q and here is what I see,

PA246Q:

Pros:

1. Superior Colour Gamut compared to Dell

2. Passes UGRA test which Dell 2410 fails. (prad.de site)

3. Average overall Lag - ~21ms

4. Superior build quality compared to Dell.

5. Reviews state sharp text rendition.

Cons:

1. Not available at the time being.

2. Problems with using external source other than PC

Dell U2410:

Pros:

1. Better quality control. So chances of getting uniform brightness distribution are higher than Asus.

2. Lower Average overall input lag - ~14.4ms (in gaming mode which bypasses several circuitry)

3. Excellent customer service when compared to Asus.

4. It is available for Rs. 27k now!

Cons:

1. Average overall input lag in normal mode - ~40ms

2. Need to change to gaming mode whenever you play games. (not really a big deal but I think the overall image quality takes a hit)

3. One user states text rendition was blurry and that he returned the monitor. (Maybe a one off case)

Asus PA238Q:

Pros:

1. Better in gaming performance. Almost close to TN panels.

2. Excellent fit in movies.

Cons:

1. Loses in Colour Gamut

2. I hate the flat workspace of 1920x1080. Feels cramped.

In light of the above observation, I think I'd rather wait for the Asus as it has the ever so tiny edge to the Dell monitor in terms of colour and overall quality. I think I can manage with problems related to RMA. I have an excellent dealer, Mr. Amit from Magnum Computers, Ritchie street, Chennai where I have bought all my computers for the past eight years. He has never let me down when I have a problem with what I bought. I trust he will help me out if I ever have a problem with the monitor.

The above mentioned rattle is just my observation after reading over a dozen reviews on the products. I think the game mode in Dell gives it an edge in fast games like Street Fighter but I get a gut feeling that I should go for the Asus. I really hope I can play Street Fighter 4 well on the Asus.

Thank you everyone for all this valuable input on the monitors. Techenclave is an amazing place and I wonder why I did not actively participate for long. I will surely let you guys know when I get the monitor.
<

@allrounder799

Yes. PA238Q is available here too but I want a bigger work space.

@vivacious_tg

Do you use the game mode when gaming?

Back