Help needed to decide Router!

bazinga

Disciple
I have a bsnl broadband connection. I have their basic modem too. I want to be able to use wifi at home. Hence i thought i should buy a router. Please help me with deciding which to buy.
TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router vs TP-LINK TL-WR720N 150 Mbps Wireless N Router vs TP-LINK TL-WR741ND 150 Mbps Wireless N Router vs Asus RT-N10E Wireless-N150 Router: Compare Routers: Flipkart.com

Anything around 1.25k max should be ok. Find the best one for me please. Il be ordering through flipkart(or local dealers are also fine). 2-3 Laptops+ 2 phones will be using wifi.
Thanks in advance.

Do you want basic router or modem router , Asus RT N10 is the best amongst them.

P.S - None of the above are modem router.

I suppose since the OP already has a basic modem, a router (without modem) would suffice.

(I personally prefer the two as separate devices as the router can be used with Cable ISPs too.)

Is there the option to ask BSNL to replace the basic modem with a wifi modem router.

Yes you can ask them. Go to the nearest BSNL Telephone Exchange, and ask for a change. You will have to fill up forms.
Unfortunately for me, there are no stocks of the modem-router from BSNL

- - - Updated - - -
@dinjo @mathrisk

I need a basic router itself, since i already have the modem. So please suggest good ones around 1.25k . Thanks in advancec!

Last edited by a moderator:
If only router Asus RT N10 is the best bet amongst the given options.

@dinjo @mathrisk
I have finalised upon the following routers. Please let me know the best one. And please state why it has advantages over the others.

TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router vs Netgear WGR614 Wireless-N 150 Router vs Netgear JNR1010 N150 Wireless Router vs Belkin Basic (N150) Router: Compare Routers: Flipkart.com

If possible, suggest D-Link models too. Within the same price range~1.3k. Please reply asap. Im trying to buy this over the weekend.

@dinjo @mathrisk
I have finalised upon the following routers. Please let me know the best one. And please state why it has advantages over the others.

TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router vs Netgear WGR614 Wireless-N 150 Router vs Netgear JNR1010 N150 Wireless Router vs Belkin Basic (N150) Router: Compare Routers: Flipkart.com

If possible, suggest D-Link models too. Within the same price range~1.3k. Please reply asap. Im trying to buy this over the weekend.

bump?
Please reply at the earliest.!

2-3 Laptops+ 2 phones will be using wifi.
What is the wifi capability of your laptops ?

Are they N150 or N300 ?

If they are N150 then i'd leave out the belkin and then research the other three. If they are N300 then a N150 will not give you the max your laptops can handle, you should be looking at N300 routers in this case.

N150 will give you a max link speed of 65-72Mbs
N300 will give you double that

I take it you will be in the same room as the router or at the most have one wall away from the router.

What is the wifi capability of your laptops ?

Are they N150 or N300 ?

If they are N150 then i'd leave out the belkin and then research the other three. If they are N300 then a N150 will not give you the max your laptops can handle, you should be looking at N300 routers in this case.

N150 will give you a max link speed of 65-72Mbs
N300 will give you double that

I take it you will be in the same room as the router or at the most have one wall away from the router.

Im not sure how to check whether the laptops are N150/300. Well one is a couple of months old(Dell Inspiron). The other is 4 year old Dell. And not to mention a couple of android phones.
Which is the best product among the ones listed? And my family seems to trust only D-Link, hence if better D-Link alternates exist, please let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

Go for TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router blindfolded. It also supports more IEEE types.
Few reviews i read said that signal is spotty for the TP-Link router. Initially i had decided TP-Link hands-down, but upon reading the reviews, I wanted to ask you guys. What about the NetGear models? They seem to have gotten good reviews.

Can't say much about Netgear but have very good reputation. Also I had suggested you Netgear JNR1010 N150 Wireless Router which was a good one. But for a lower price you can get the same features in TP LINK.

Im not sure how to check whether the laptops are N150/300. Well one is a couple of months old(Dell Inspiron). The other is 4 year old Dell.
Look up the wifi card in the properties for each card then google the specs for it to find out what its max speed is.

And not to mention a couple of android phones.
The android phones will most likely be N150 as they are low powered devices. If they are old they might even be g.

Which is the best product among the ones listed?
Best is subjective, best in terms of what ?

The three models are all in the same range. Do you care for alternative firmware. if a router supports that will it be better for you ?

Read the manuals and see the features offered for each model. Then look up those model numbers in forums to see how happy people were with them.

And my family seems to trust only D-Link, hence if better D-Link alternates exist, please let me know.
Amazon best selling routers

The DIR-655 is #9 in that list and its a 2009 model. But i've heard people complain about firmware issues with it. So look up in d-links forums.

Look up the wifi card in the properties for each card then google the specs for it to find out what its max speed is.

The android phones will most likely be N150 as they are low powered devices. If they are old they might even be g.

Best is subjective, best in terms of what ?

The three models are all in the same range. Do you care for alternative firmware. if a router supports that will it be better for you ?

Read the manuals and see the features offered for each model. Then look up those model numbers in forums to see how happy people were with them.

Amazon best selling routers

The DIR-655 is #9 in that list and its a 2009 model. But i've heard people complain about firmware issues with it. So look up in d-links forums.

Better in the sense, bigger range and speeds? Which would you suggest then?

Of the three you picked range will be similar. You've not mentioned how far away your clients will be from the router. How many walls if any in between.

What speed can your laptop wifi cards handle ? This is your limiting factor when it comes to speed. The idea is to match the router to the max your clients can handle. otherwise you have to upgrade your clients wifi or you will end up paying a premium on the router for nothing.

For phones/tablets this is not an option.
For laptops this requires a dongle or a card upgrade which is an extra cost.

What apps will be using with wifi. This determines whether you need more speed or not.

Back