Help: Nook Simple Touch -vs- Kindle -vs- Kindle Touch

Hello.
First of all, a few details to help explain my situation. I live in India and will be sending whichever device I end up buying to my cousin sister's place in Virginia (who'll then bring it over for me). This rules out in-store purchases, no matter how attractive the Black Friday deal (if the Nook Simple Touch had been $79 online too, there would have been no debate).
Now, I don't know whether Amazon will have any Black Friday deals for the Kindle(s) so right now I'm just going to compare these devices at their MSRPs. I don't want the Kindles which have ads in them, so I guess it comes down to this:
The Nook Simple Touch ($99) OR The Kindle ($109) OR The Kindle Touch [non-3G] ($139)
I won't be buying very many books from the Marketplace. I will generally use the device for reading PDFs (and ePubs, sometimes) I have on my hard disk. I haven't spent much time with either device (just glanced at a friend's Kindle for 30sec) so I can't comment on my own feelings for them. I only want the device for reading - no surfing or streaming or movie-watching or other such stuff.
But still, I'm hoping you people are more knowledgeable in this and can help me out. Which of the three devices is better for reading, carrying around and will support the formats I mentioned up above?
Please help me out!
PS - In the two Kindles, I'd prefer the Touch. So what exactly does it have that makes it worth the $40 premium over the Nook Touch?

i use the older generation kindle with keyboard. As I have posted repeatedly in most threads, unless you convert the pdf to a reflowable format, most pdf will pdf with images will not be formatted properly.

If you have simply text in the pdf, then it will be fine enough. epubs are not supported in the older kindle.

I'd prefer the Nook Simple Touch to the Kindle Touch because it has page turn buttons. I don't like the idea of swiping the screen to turn pages. I think the Nooks got better battery life as well.

You can get the sponsored version of the Kindle Touch with ads for $99. If you are getting a Kindle get the one with special offers. It'll save you a bit of cash and won't affect your reading experience in the slightest.

But before you even buy an e-reader download
1)calibre - calibre - About
2)mobipocket reader -http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloadsoft/productdetailsreader.asp

Use them to convert your pdfs to mobi and see if you're happy with the result.
PDF's will not work well with a 6" e-reader screen. You'll have to convert them to mobi/epub if you want to read them comfortably on your reader.
If your pdf's don't convert well, and you can't download epub/mobi formats of the books you have, then you should think of getting a tablet instead.
However, an e-reader should be your first preference. Nothing beats having hundreds of books in your palm, and weeks ahead of you before having to worry about charging your device.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

The Kindle Touch (and the Kindle Keyboard) have double the storage and battery life of the Kindle.
They've also got speakers and the ability to play music and audiobooks.

Hey guys,

Cyber Monday happened. I saw the offer on Barnes & Noble's website about a $25 coupon on a purchase of more than $100. I was waiting for Amazon or any other retailer to have some kind of incentive for buying a Kindle that day. Nothing visible.

I ended up buying the Nook Simple Touch for $99 with a 2yr protection plan for $20. I also found a cheap but good-looking black leather carrying case for the Nook on Overstock.com and ordered that.

Counting in taxes, my total expenditure came to around $130. For this, I get the Nook, a 2yr protection plan, a black leather carrying case AND a $25 Barnes & Noble coupon.

Thanks for all the help and the opinions :)

Is the 2 year protection plan any use to you since you will be using the device in India and cost of shipping back and forth the device in case something happens will be costly (unless the plan covers the same).

I don't really know. But better safe than sorry. Will it really cost me $80 or more to ship the device to relatives in the US and for them to ship it back to me? No, that cost isn't included in the plan.

Waiting for your review on nook touch! I am at a similar situation so eagerly awaiting ur experience!

Please update us ASAP..

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e

Thanks, I don't have a relative in US.. How should I go about buying Nook Touch?

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e

I think buying e-readers (in particular) is risky, if we bypass customs. Reason being current crop of e-readers are a bit fragile. If screen breaks, then we have to ship it back and courier companies won't accept it without proper customs bills(happened to me). Also, the company should be willing to ship the corrected unit back internationally. AFAIK, B&N won't do this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So with current gen devices, it is better to buy Kindle, just for piece of mind :).

Have been using e readers since 2007, haven't had a cracked screen yet, even though the only protection i use is a basic cover, so I don't agree with the fragile comment as much.

just bought a nook touch, my fourth reader upgrade :) much more vfm compared to the kindle, also in terms of features n price.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

You don't have to agree with me. Just search in net for "<any of your reader> broken screen" :). Incidentally, have you tried carrying it anywhere outside? The reader screen is a thin glass substrate that will crack easily with light pressure.

And I do agree that Nook touch is better than Kindle :)

techie_007 said:
Have been using e readers since 2007, haven't had a cracked screen yet, even though the only protection i use is a basic cover, so I don't agree with the fragile comment as much.

just bought a nook touch, my fourth reader upgrade :) much more vfm compared to the kindle, also in terms of features n price.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Just to add to the conversation.

Kindle touch -

+ Cheap

- Limited storage, a bit dull outlook , no EPUB , Page refresh issue

Nook Touch

+ Bright but easy on eyes, expandable memory , no nonsense E-reader .

- Expensive . i guess about 20 or 30 $ but that is too much for us.

I will be getting mine in next week or so .. will certainly let you know how it compares with kindle touch or 3rd gen kindle .

I currently own an Adam with Pixel Qi which i love ..but its just so heavy and that you have to lay it down after few mins ..so if you just want to read and only read go for Nook STR.

How is everyone buying books for Kindle (or other e-readers)? The Kindle store says a lot of books are not available in India for purchase and even if you fork up and pay the higher price the $ conversion rate and conversion surcharge makes it too expensive.

I've been waiting for e-book readers to become viable in India before buying one but now that FDI in retail is nixed will Amazon India be launching at all?

Back