Camera Help on deciding on my first DSLR

magesh85

Disciple
Hi Guys,
I am very new to DSLR. I have a point and shoot camera which i like to upgrade.
My budget is around 30K.

I looked around and found some options but i am unable to decide upon.

1. Nikon D3200 + 18-55mm Lens
2. Nikon D3100+ 18-55mm Lens
3. Canon 1100D + EF-S 18-55mm IS II + EF-S 55-250mm IS II

I will be usually taking portraits and landscapes as i travel a lot. I will be using it in marriage functions (for personal use only) and casual daily photos in home.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers!!!

You can't get a better Dslr than D5100 in that price range.

Outmatches all three of the options by long.

Could you please let me know the options.. i am open for the options as long it comes with the Lens.. Thanks for your help

I will be usually taking portraits and landscapes as i travel a lot. I will be using it in marriage functions (for personal use only) and casual daily photos in home.

Cheapest body with a wide angle lens + prime lens

I am complete noob for DSLR infact for photography itself.. Only today i started reading forums ...
So, please bear me if i again ask, If anybody can be specific like get the Nikon d5100 body and this lens...
It will be helpful for me..
Thanks

What I was talking about earlier was Nikon D5100 plus 18-55mm kit lens.

Later on, with more money to spend you can start adding other lens like a 35mm f/1.8.
For landscapes you will need a wide angle lens like 10-24mm.

But the above setup with the kit lens will get you started in that budget.

Last edited:
Well you can check out comparisons online and then see the what features you do or do not need.
There will always be some features that you will never use or some other features that you absolutely need.

When I had an option between these two I bought D5100 (and still using it) mainly due to the larger sensor.
However, your requirements may be different than mine, plus D3200 is a newer model than D5100 and has some extra goodies like more megapixels, wifi sync and gps abilities, etc.

Don't be confused.. Any camera...u won't go wrong..still be taking awesome pics..
He meant any of those two, both are equally good.
D3200 is good for beginners, go with 3200,it's menus are more beginner friendly.
I bought it over 5100 never regretted my decision.

Why not mirror less? DsLR goodness with p& s style menus. Good for casual, busy, aspiring photographers.
Nice Lumix Panasonic is available in sale threads with goodies, great way to start.
You can later decide to upgrade to Actual DSLR if you want to be a professional. They're small and easy to use and you are not treated like a photographer esp. In marriages.

Actually, in that price range, check out the Pentax K-30. Fully weather sealed, twin control dials, pentaprism viewfinder (much bigger than the basic pentamirrors on the Nik/Canon), and 3 year Indian warranty. Great camera, and you can use either the Li-ION battery or 4xAA batteries with an adapter.

^Eh? You can get all the used Pentax lenses you want if you know where to look - there are plenty of AF options available second hand as well.
Nevertheless, for a beginner, who won't go beyond the basic 18-55/55-300 kit, I don't think the question of lenses arises.

Back