Audio [Help]Onkyo HTS Probs

latinoheatx

Disciple
hi everyone, I am facing some trouble with my Onkyo HTS 3100S. Some crack-head had maxed the volume of the HTS in my absence and when I came back to switch my PC the windows xp opening tune really took off...it sounded as an explosion. The front drivers have since then been sounding cracked for the bass spectrum. I opened up the face to check if the drivers were ripped or something but couldn't find so. I have no clue what to do, someone know a repair shop in Pune so that they can be checked out?
Also can the front R/L be switched with the surround L/R? The max power handling and impedance being the same in front and surround. Would really appreciate help to soothe my sore ears :(
TIA.

Also can the front R/L be switched with the surround L/R?

Yes, this will cure the crackle. Your speakers are shot and you will need to replace the drivers, there is excursion damage or possibly a couple of fried coils. If you don't, you will enjoy the crackle when surround effects start playing.

Thanks for the reply cranky...switched the surround with the front seems to be solved for the regular stuff. Any idea how much the replacing/repair of the driver would cost?

Cost of parts shouldn't be more than 50-80 bucks for both.

I don't know how much Onkyo would charge.

New drivers made by Onkyo and sold in OEM channels for similar applications cost between one and two dollars each. You may not be able to access those, but Peerless India makes some very nice drivers (better than the stuffy Onkyo drivers) for about 400 rupees each, they're a pretty decent upgrade from the stock units.

cranky said:
Cost of parts shouldn't be more than 50-80 bucks for both.
The drivers are that cheap! :huh: The Peerless India site won't open...also if someone can tell of a reliable repair shop in Pune. As I am unable to find onkyo's website with any repair shops information.
Also cranky could you name the model no./specifications of the drivers from Peerless India. Thanks!

Well, not the drivers but the voice coil and rear suspension will be around that much for a single pair. Labour is extra. Onkyo will probably charge in the range of 500 per driver, so you're staring at a repair bill of about 1000 bucks for some very ordinary drivers.

This is the Peerless site: Home Page - peerlessaudio.com as usual, hopelessly out of date and unusable and it has no information on this product. You can only get the drivers from a single source in Mumbai, if they are still made. I don't have any on hand, but they are 3.5" fullrange with a coated paper cone, and shielded. Zhopudey had a few lying unused, you may want to PM him and see if you get lucky.

Back