CPU/Mobo Help regarding motherboard compatibilty with Corsair 750 W PSU

So guys help me out with this.

I recently decided to upgrade my PSU and graphic card. I have bought a Corsair 750 W PSU.

I have Gigabyte M61PME-S2 motherboard. The 1 x 24 pin ATX connector of PSU fits correctly in motherboard. The old PSU utilized 1 x 4 pin 12V ATX power connector. But there are no connectors in new PSU for the 4 pin 12V connector.

How to connect new PSU to the 4 pin 12v slot. Do I require a motherboard upgrade too??

Is the 2x4 connector detachable into two so that you get 2* 1x4 connectors?

If it's not detachable, then just plug in the 2x4 connector into the 1x4 slot. 4 pins will be used, rest 4 will remain vacant. I guess that shouldn't be an issue. Refer your mobo manual to find out which four pins you need to connect. AFAIK, it'll fit only in one direction so that shouldn't be an issue either.

I'm surprised to read that a Corsair 750W PSU doesn't have a 2x4 ATX 12V connector...

Also read: http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buying-advice/low-end-rig-182508.html#post1701337

It has to be detachable.

even today's PSU's give 20+4 pin connectors because the older mobo's did not have 24 pin connection's.

& for the last question. It will not cause any trouble as your board supports only 4 pin style connector.

Regards,

sugat123 said:
I will try to see if the 8 pin connector is detachable.

Techaddicts.net - Corsair TX Series TX750 750 Watt Power Supply Review

This thing looks detachable:

TWh2t.jpg

sugat123 said:
I will be using MSI GTX 460 talon attack graphic card. I will be connecting both the 6-pci express slots from the card to the PSU. Will it cause any problem during use as my motherboard allows only 4 pins instead of 8 to draw power.

Naa, I don't think it'll cause any problems.

Back