Laptops Help removing bloatware from Sony Vaio

abhivg

Disciple
Hi,

I have a Vaio TZ 16SN with Vista Business. It came preinstalled with huge amounts of bloatware, which I want to remove. It takes an eternity just to boot up. I found a utility called decrapifier or something on the net. Has anyone tried it? If yes, how good is it.
Any similar utility that would help?

I searched thru TE and found some clean install guides, but I am not really confident of installing Vista (it would be my first attempt at Vista) on the laptop since I am not sure whether this would work on my model. Dont want to get stuck up midway during the install...
I want all unnecessary trialware and apps like Norton removed, but want to retain the Vaio specific functionality key like function keys, av mode, wifi/bluetooth settings etc.

I will try uninstalling from add/remove first, but not sure how much it will speed up Vista. Want to keep the clean install as the last resort.

Wud appreciate any help/suggestions :)
TIA,
Abhi

I tried decrapifier. It basically removed Norton on its own (that was the only installed program on its crapplications list) and asked me to select programs that I want to remove from the installed list. I am not really sure which programs are just standalone apps and which ones affect the special Vaio functionality like A/V mode, function keys etc. So I havent removed anything else yet. I will try to post the list of installed programs some time later and maybe someone can point out which are required and which arent.

I'd say make a clean install. Even though you haven't tried it before, its actually easy, and unless you make the first attempt, you will never get over this "fear".

You have Vista business? That means you can create a backup of the entire disk before doing anything. That way, if things go bad, you can restore the backup (as long as you have access to a Vista install CD)

Back