Storage Solutions [HELP] SD Card not detecting in Camera, Laptop says 0 bytes

raksrules

Elite
I have a Canon P&S Camera and a Sony Class 10, 16GB SD Card. Last week only we took pictures using the camera on this card. Everything worked fine.
Now my brother took the card with him to his workplace to copy photos and since then, the card is not being recognized in the camera. It just says "No Memory Card".
Also I put the SD Card in my laptop's SD Card slot and it failed to recognize the card.
So then used a card reader and the laptop now did recognize it. But the properties show 0 Bytes and nothing inside. I do not want to risk formatting the card.

Have I lost all my pics from the card ? Is there any way I can make an attempt to retrieve them ?
Please suggest.

yes you can recover files and partitions on it,starting from various windows software.Try looking at the partition format if it says RAW,exfat or NTFS.
Also if nothing works then you are at the mercy of linux.But before doing anything make an image of the corrupted partition.
Try this first and let me know:
1)run checkdisk on cmd.It might tell more about the problem.

Last edited:
yes you can recover files and partitions on it,starting from various windows software.Try looking at the partition format if it says RAW,exfat or NTFS.
Also if nothing works then you are at the mercy of linux.But before doing anything make an image of the corrupted partition.
Try this first and let me know:
1)run checkdisk on cmd.It might tell more about the problem.

In control panel - administrative tools - computer management
It does show the drive of the SD card but it also shows no media. Nothing like unallocated space or anything, just shows "No Media". As if the card is not even inserted in card reader.

I know this is caused by brother inserting the card In his work computer which is infested with viruses. Last time he connected his iPhone and data on that was also messed up big time.

If you dont even get the message asking you to format the drive the drive(card) is dead.
Also if you get the option to format but results in a dialog which says "Windows was unable to complete the format" the card is dead. Get it replaced if its under warranty.
Thr is a SOny care center in Aundh and one at Tandale Heights SB Road. Opp Bhandarkar Oriental Inst.
I just gave my Sony 32GB SF-32UX card there for same reason.
It seems that this is a known issue with Sony cards.

I have been in similar shoes before with my pen drives and mmcs. Your system has got infected by some worm relating to pendrives. I cant exactly remember what I used to do in such cases but for every such instances I have googled and found some or the other solutions. Meanwhile try Portable Disk Doctor but its not available on the net. I downloaded it 3 years back from a torrent while been stuck in similar scenarios.

Right now I'm out of town and the tool in on my pc so can only help you by next week.
Meanwhile try Stellar or GetDataBack or Recuva but dont format your card even if windows prompts to do so.

If you have another pc/laptop with an updated antivirus, try the data recovery on that system as your system may already be infected.

I know this has not happened through my laptop, it happened because my brother used this SD card in another machine.
Also windows automatically does not prompt me to format the drive. It seems it doesn't even recognize that there is a card when used through card reader.
It is like plugging in the card reader without putting the card inside it.
I have no idea how much pics I have lost.
Cannot RMA since it was bought from USA back in 2012.

USA :(
In that case try if it works in the camera it was last used.
If it does not... experiment and discard. Dont hope for much....
Ironically in my case also the card was last used in a Canon camera :p
But I know what could be my issue. A friend borrowed that card for a day and when he brought it back it was taken out from his wallet.
So it seems the card is water proof and shock proof but not bum proof :D

Why don't you try accessing the card in windows command prompt through bootable windows dvd ?. Most of the time this works. Even Bootable DVDs with softwares like active boot disk will do this, but if you have a windows bootable dvd you can access the command prompt through recovery console and access the card. If you can access the card and its folders, just transfer them to your HDD and format it from within the command prompt. Some autorun files created by malware/viruses, existing in the root of the card may prevent the card from getting accessed under windows. Just see if files are hidden with dir/a command and if they exist you are lucky, but if they dont then you have to resort to the other methods suggested by members.

I have lost all hopes for this SD Card now. I connected the card reader to my media player (similar to AC Ryan Play On HD) and it failed to recognize that a USB device was connected. The media player is based on Linux I believe. FML.
I have given a good earful to my brother and told him to never take any pen drive, phone or anything to his workplace and connect there. Not even his phone for charging.

^I don't think it's over yet.I have recovered files from much worst conditioned hdd on linux.Even if the chip has gone bad I think the data should still be there.

Dont loose hope. Its a just a matter of hope. As said your bro got it worked in his office, so again give him the card and hope it works in his office again. If so then backup the data there itself and then you can safely format the card.
Else hunt for the proper recovery tool until it makes the card or the infection Fool!!

Now my brother took the card with him to his workplace to copy photos and since then, the card is not being recognized in the camera. It just says "No Memory Card".
So you have a backup of your photos then ?

Have I lost all my pics from the card ? Is there any way I can make an attempt to retrieve them ?
Please suggest.
Have never lost data before but one year old sd card decides to pack up just like that in my tab I did see repetitive mount/unmount messages prior to it. You would not have seen these in the camera. i do not cosnider these cards to be very reliable, compared to HDDs they are no where close.

I will give a try with various tools.
No backup was taken. Only that my brother wanted to copy some pics from a family function 2 weeks back. That were copied fine and after that nothing is working.
Hopefully some tool may be able to work its magic.

I will give a try with various tools.
No backup was taken. Only that my brother wanted to copy some pics from a family function 2 weeks back. That were copied fine and after that nothing is working.
Hopefully some tool may be able to work its magic.
Try using a partition recovery tool.If it shows the missing partition you are safe.Then begins the hard work.

In control panel - administrative tools - computer management
It does show the drive of the SD card but it also shows no media. Nothing like unallocated space or anything, just shows "No Media". As if the card is not even inserted in card reader.
If the drive isn't being detected and nothing is being shown under Disk Management, then partition tools won't help. This isn't file-system corruption, it's a physical issue with the media. I'm guessing this is physical damage from mishandling the drive, or else the drive just coincidentally happened to exceed its max p/e cycles (flash memory cards have a limited number of writes just like an SSD), there's no way a virus can destroy an SD card this way.

You could try what this guy did : http://forums.steves-digicams.com/m...overing-bad-sd-card-my-experience-so-far.html
Do note, Parted Magic is now paid, but not too expensive at 5$. If looking for the older free versions, avoid the 2013_08_01 version thats being shared everywhere since it has a major bug in it. Stable free versions listed here : http://mrsebe.bplaced.net/blog/wordpress/?p=80
Universal USB Installer worked pretty well for me when making bootable USB drives out of these ISOs : http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Back