Help setting up Home Network with a Switch

MarioBros

Disciple
Hey TE Folks,

The below diagram is my current simple home network.
I have close to 40 different devices connected all the time, (3-4 wired devices, rest all on WiFi)

1719315557694.png

I am now planning to add a Gigabit POE Switch to my home network (4/8 port POE Gigabit Switches are lying around with a friend and I can use the same) and in next few weeks I have plans to add a POE enabled Zibgee Coordinator and also a POE Camera.

I am running a VM Server which includes Proxmox, Home Assistant, Wireguard and other VMs.

my ISP is Airtel and I have a static IP allotted to my broadband connection, I have enabled bridge mode on my main router which takes cares of DNS & DHCP
I also have AP added to extend my wireless network range.

Now where do I add the Switch in my network setup and make sure everything is configured properly so there is no impact and are there any downside of adding a Switch to my above network ?

Now where do I add the Switch in my network setup
After the router that's handing out DHCP leases and before the access point.

are there any downside of adding a Switch to my above network ?
If the switch is a simple L2 switch (most unmanaged switches are), your network should be fine. However, make sure the POE functionality is standards compliant, 802.3af/at for example, and not passive POE, which can damage your hardware, limit speeds to 100mbps (unlikely as you mentioned gigabit) etc..

If the switch is a simple L2 switch (most unmanaged switches are), your network should be fine. However, make sure the POE functionality is standards compliant, 802.3af/at for example, and not passive POE, which can damage your hardware, limit speeds to 100mbps (unlikely as you mentioned gigabit) etc..

This is the switch and it clearly says 802.3af/at complaint
TL-SG1005P | 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch with 4-Port PoE+ | TP-Link India

but what is this Managed & Unmanaged term I am reading about Switches ?

Last edited:
This is the switch and it clearly says 802.3af/at complaint
TL-SF1006P | 6-Port 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch with 4-Port PoE+ | TP-Link India

but what is this Managed & Unmanaged term I am reading about Switches ?
This should work fine, but it's only a 100mbps switch, not gigabit. Your network speeds will be limited to 100mbps downstream of the switch.

Regarding managed vs unmanaged, managed switches typically have a management interface, either an web gui or through console, and have advanced features like vlan tagging, link aggregation etc.. This is an unmanaged switch, will be fine for your use case.

This should work fine, but it's only a 100mbps switch, not gigabit. Your network speeds will be limited to 100mbps downstream of the switch.

Regarding managed vs unmanaged, managed switches typically have a management interface, either an web gui or through console, and have advanced features like vlan tagging, link aggregation etc.. This is an unmanaged switch, will be fine for your use case.
sorry, I have updated the proper model link, its indeed a Gigabit switch

so if its a unmanaged switch it basically means plug and play ?

Usually plug nd play with some settings here nd there to make changes. You will also need to get POE cable for your camera to work.
you will be having 2 ports for POE devices 1 for proxmox and 1 for the AP that u have and 5th one will be your connectivity with router. Enable POE on the 2 ports connecting the POE devices and check how much power the POE devices require and the max a port on switch can give

Usually plug nd play with some settings here nd there to make changes. You will also need to get POE cable for your camera to work.
you will be having 2 ports for POE devices 1 for proxmox and 1 for the AP that u have and 5th one will be your connectivity with router. Enable POE on the 2 ports connecting the POE devices and check how much power the POE devices require and the max a port on switch can give
ok this is giving more clarity to me now..
so when u say POE cable, will CAT6 cable do the job?

also I dont know if its a stupid question - since all the ports on swtich will be occupied as it is a 4 port switch, can i continue to use the free LAN ports ion my router if required ?

Last edited:
so if its a unmanaged switch it basically means plug and play ?
Yes

so when u say POE cable, will CAT6 cable do the job?
Yes, any decent quality cat6 cable will do the job, try to get solid copper core cables, as aluminum (CCA, copper coated aluminium) cables have higher resistance and will cause a larger voltage drop.

also I dont know if its a stupid question - since all the ports on swtich will be occupied as it is a 4 port switch, can i continue to use the free LAN ports ion my router if required ?
Yes

Yes, any decent quality cat6 cable will do the job, try to get solid copper core cables, as aluminum (CCA, copper coated aluminium) cables have higher resistance and will cause a larger voltage drop.
Cat6 will do for distances upto 50-55 mtrs for around 100 mtrs cat6a wud be required so buy according to that.
Refere below links,

A good quality cat6/6a with good core would cost you more than readily available cat6/6a cables.
I have seen good cat6/6a cables costing more than 1k for 10-15 mtrs used in datacenter and networkings.

Back